ethics in games

Asguard

Kiss my dark side
Valued Senior Member
I have been playing assissins creed 2 and I noticed something. There is a type of side mission called a beat up mission. In the first game this was you beating up a Templar for Infomation but in this one its beating up a husband who's commuted adultery for his wife. Now the question that popped into my head was:

How large would the protests be and how strong the calls to ban the game if it was a mission to beat up a cheating wife?

Also if it wasn't banned (and concidering some in Parliament currently that's no garentiee) would the rating be higher for a women being beaten up than a man?

You don't play MMORPG's much, do you?:bugeye:

There are often quests to kill female characters who have cheated, betrayed or are evil, etc.

Bells you missed the point, if its a quest to kill the matron mother of a drow family because drow are evil is a compleatly different senario from going to kill or beat up a women SPECIFICALLY FOR COMMITING ADULTERY. You know the whole domestic violence thing which was turned into Australia only gives a toss about violence if your victim is a women thing?

At least you're not kissing Brucie Kibbutz

Well, sure, some people pitch fits about that sort of thing, but they're easy enough to ignore.

Take Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, for instance. I mean, I'm sure someone complained about this, but I don't care: In the game, you can drive around, pick up a hooker, go someplace and bang her, and then when she gets out of your car you can get out, murder her, and take back some of the money you just spent. Additionally, if you successfully pimp a certain number of women, the hookers start paying you for sex.

And, yes, you can beat the hookers to death. You can slash their throats. You can run them down with a car. You can set them on fire. You can shoot them in the head.

And, yes, for a while, that sort of stupid shit is actually fun. Specifically because it's outrageously perverse. And then it gets boring.

They don't do the same thing in GTA IV and its offspring. Er ... maybe they do, and I just never got around to it. These days, if I play the game, I just boot up Gay Tony, hop in the Buzzard, and fly over to Alderney, where there is a building under the freeway; I just hang out and slay cops by the hundreds, until I run out of bullets, and then make my escape. I've found three places to make those long stands.

I'm pretty sure some police group somewhere has complained. But ... nobody cares.

Tiassa I was trying Tony get pb the collectors edition of Duke nukem because she loved that game but its sold out in Australia. So I thought I would call my father unlawful and see if he could get it in Singapore. Aparently its banned there, not because of the violence but rather because of the nudity and swearing. WTF???

Back