Epiphenomena

Asexperia

Registered Senior Member
EPIPHENOMENA

"An epiphenomenon is a secondary phenomenon that occurs alongside or in parallel to a primary phenomenon.

An epiphenomenon can be an effect of primary phenomena, but cannot affect a primary phenomenon. In philosophy of mind, epiphenomenalism is the view that mental phenomena are epiphenomena in that they can be caused by physical phenomena, but cannot cause physical phenomena. In strong epiphenomenalism, epiphenomena that are mental phenomena can only be caused by physical phenomena, not by other mental phenomena. In weak epiphenomenalism, epiphenomena that are mental phenomena can be caused by both physical phenomena and other mental phenomena, but mental phenomena cannot be the cause of any physical phenomenon".

From wikipedia.

Other epiphenomena are time in relation to becoming and life in relation to cellular respiration. Time is the interval between two moments of becoming. Time depends on the becoming, but not vice versa. Life is the use of the energy produced by the cellular respiration. This energy (heat) maintains constant the body temperature of the animals.

In the clinical death the heart and the brain stop working. In biological death (life) die every cell of the body.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the clinical death the heart and the brain stop working. In biological death (life) die every cell of the body.

So...someone with their own biological child never really experiences a biological death, since one of the cells (sperm or egg) survives as a new organism.

@ Your eyes,
So...someone with their own biological child never really experiences a biological death, since one of the cells (sperm or egg) survives as a new organism.

Seriously?

This is a Science Forum not Grade 2. Please contact your grade school and see if you can re-attend. That is one of the stupidest comments I have ever read on this website and I've been here over a decade.

If you need further explanation or argue this then you have no reason to be on a website like this. Try RomperroomDOTcom.

@ OP,
I am unsure of your question if any. Sounds like you are giving a bad definition of EpiPhenomenon and then mentioning the difference between clinical/biological death.

Try Wikipedia if you are after a better or clearer explanation. You did not make much sense describing what you are after?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphenomenon

@ Your eyes,

Seriously?

This is a Science Forum not Grade 2. Please contact your grade school and see if you can re-attend. That is one of the stupidest comments I have ever read on this website and I've been here over a decade.

If you need further explanation or argue this then you have no reason to be on a website like this. Try RomperroomDOTcom.

And what is stupid about it?

All of the cells of the body must die in order for the biological death to be complete. Clearly someone who is a father and is a mother passes on their sperm and egg to what will become their child. That is reincarnation, the beauty of it.

One sperm is not an organism, is only one cell.

Posted by Kwhilborn:
I am unsure of your question if any. Sounds like you are giving a bad definition of EpiPhenomenon and then mentioning the difference between clinical/biological death.

The definition of epiphenomenon is correct. I just wanted to expand more on life, epiphenomenon of cellular respiration.

One sperm is not an organism, is only one cell.

One sperm is one cell.
One egg is one cell.

If all the cells of the body of a father die, he still has a child who has developed due to that one sperm cell from a father, same goes with mother.

Clearly you said that all cells must die, in order for biological death to occur, clearly someone who is a mother and a father still have a cell alive as part of their child.

What am I missing? To add to this, those cells are not just alive, they become part of a new organism which becomes conscious.

Posted by Youreyes:
Clearly you said that all cells must die, in order for biological death to occur, clearly someone who is a mother and a father still have a cell alive as part of their child.

When the sperm is expelled, It isn't part of the father anymore. Either the egg is part of the mother. That's naive.

Posted by Youreyes:

When the sperm is expelled, It isn't part of the father anymore. Either the egg is part of the mother. That's naive.

Why isn't the sperm part of the father??? It is clearly alive and its function was predefined within a father. So is the egg. What is naive about it? Are you afraid to realize that none of us really die...in a sense this world teaches us to?

Why isn't the sperm part of the father??? It is clearly alive and its function was predefined within a father. So is the egg. What is naive about it? Are you afraid to realize that none of us really die...in a sense this world teaches us to?

I don't believe in reincarnation. Any type of reincarnation. That's superstition.

Precisely all cycles have a beginning, several phases and an end. Because of that are cycles.

But you just said an organism dies biologically for eternity. It you believe in cycles, than were is your faith in rebirth?

Back