entomology

OverTheStars

Registered Senior Member
I seriously think I want to have a career in entomology. What colleges have

this course? What steps should I take towards this dream? And how much

money could I posibly make with a career like this? Are there any

entomologists in this forum? If so, please tell me what you do, and so on.

Only spider crickets. Ever since I can remember, I've been fascinated by bugs, even bees. I love watching their habits, their body structure, and so on. I have two jars right now, one with a female Velvet Ant and the other with some agressive,weird looking beetle with long, fat antennaes.

OverTheStars said:
I seriously think I want to have a career in entomology. What colleges have

this course? What steps should I take towards this dream? And how much

money could I posibly make with a career like this? Are there any

entomologists in this forum? If so, please tell me what you do, and so on.

Here's a link as to where the colleges are located so pick the one nearest to you and write them about getting into it.

http://www.uscollegesearch.org/entomology_colleges.html

there is no money in basic research. There is no sure future in basic research. If you ask already how much money you could make you should seriously consider not continuing in science.

my simple advice.

Are you in basic research monkey? I'm just curious of the distinction between different types of research. For the record, I think I am most interested in developmental biology, much like you are.

Yes, I would call it basic research. But I am getting out. I had enough.

Basically research groups have become little companies. Your status as employee hasn't really changed over time. We still don't have many rights or social benefits. You have to take shit all the time though (unless you land somewhere nice) as in a real company. Science is not what it used to be anymore. There used to be more people who were really interested in science. That is why I started studying biology. Most people just see it as a job. They don't really care about science. I haven't talked science to anyone (except one of my friends) in my institute for at least a year. That just isn't very motivating. This in combination with the 'company' approach nowadays (the budget of last year was 1.7 million euro for 3 groups) made me decide to quite science for a while. Maybe I will change my mind, maybe I won't.

If I would want to continue in science I would continue in basic research, because I am merely curious about the world. I don't care about saving the world (which is mostly rethoric anyway).

Sorry about this negative view. It is just a warning. It doesn't mean you shouldn't pursue a career in science. Such a career is probably much more interesting than a career in the 'real' world, but I would just like to caution you. Don't think everything is great. There will be disappointments. Especially if you end up in an environment where nobody is really interested in science.

spuriousmonkey you say....
"If I would want to continue in science I would continue in basic research, because I am merely curious about the world. I don't care about saving the world (which is mostly rethoric anyway)."

Well I believe good scientists will help the world to be a better place more than they will "save" it. Science will be the pathway to the future generations that will only become better at solving humankinds problems. Remember only one problem at a time so as not to get bogged down with to many directions at one time to travel.

Last edited:
So what are you going to do now, spurious? You are close to a PhD (at least in a relative sense), are you not? Are you just walking away from that?

I don't have any preconceived notions of research being a perfect job, nor do I have any desire to save the world. I do, however, believe that whatever little I can contribute to understanding the biological world better will make it worthwhile. Maybe I won't contribute anything. I don't know, but I enjoy being in the lab, and learning about biology, so I guess it wouldn't be a bad way to make a living, even a meagre one.

I'm still only an undergrad, so I have lots of time to mull it over. Thanks for your view, spurious.

Back