Ellen DeGeneres Dog controversy

madanthonywayne

Morning in America
Registered Senior Member
Ellen DeGeneeres adopted a dog from a pet rescue agency and apparently it didn't get along with her cats or something. So she gave the dog to a family she knew. When the pet rescue agency found out someone else had the dog, they came and took it back. This video shows a crying Ellen DeGeneres begging for the agency to give the dog back to the family.

Her performance has apparently resulted in death threats against the pet rescue agency.

Here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGBVh_EDZnM
and here's the story
http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=3744622&page=1

I think it sucks that the adoption clinic took the dog from the family ....WITHOUT... first just checking on the care and happiness of the dog. To me, the dog is the most important part of the equation, yet seemingly it was given no consideration at all. The two little kids just loved that dog, and it seems that the dog loved the family and was quite happy. What else is there for a proper home for the dog?

Baron Max

I think it sucks that the adoption clinic took the dog from the family ....WITHOUT... first just checking on the care and happiness of the dog. To me, the dog is the most important part of the equation, yet seemingly it was given no consideration at all. The two little kids just loved that dog, and it seems that the dog loved the family and was quite happy. What else is there for a proper home for the dog?

Baron Max

I agree, it should be about the dog.

Baron Max

I agree.

Well, Sam, if you agree, then I'm going to have to change my mind. They should take the dog from the family and have it put to death immediately or sooner! And maybe they should do it in front of the little kids, too, to teach them a lesson in obeying the laws.

Baron Max

don't they view pet adoption the same as child adoption. You have paperwork, home check, etc..
You can't get a kid and then give it away, so why wouldn't they feel the same way about an animal?

I also agree. Their primary concern seems to be that their arbitrary rules are followed. It's crap like this that causes people to just buy their pets at pet stores rather than pet rescue organizations.

don't they view pet adoption the same as child adoption. You have paperwork, home check, etc..
You can't get a kid and then give it away, so why wouldn't they feel the same way about an animal?

Thats too complicated for a pet. I had no idea they were so involved.

we've adopted and they had to meet everyone who lived in the house. If we had pets before. If we had pets currently. If we had a fenced yard. If we planned on declawing. If we had the financial means to buy food and pay vet bills. If we....

Yeah, dog fighting is alive and well here. cats and puppies are used in training.

we've adopted and they had to meet everyone who lived in the house. If we had pets before. If we had pets currently. If we had a fenced yard. If we planned on declawing. If we had the financial means to buy food and pay vet bills. If we....

That's why I just went to a kennel and bought my dog. The only paperwork was filing her with the AKC, and that was voluntary.

The entire pet adoption system is messed up.

I wouldnt be surprised if this Mutts and Moms is done as a non-profit (though it will probably just get itself a new name and location).

While I can understand a position of an adopting person having an agreement to not give the dog away, I find that to be unrealistic in real world application. Many loved animals end up being given away due to circumstances beyond a persons control, job loss, death, illness, etc. It is reasonable for a family to try to find someone they know to take care of a pet, rather than hand it back to an agency for re-allocation to a stranger. Circumstances can change where the pet may be able to return, or at least, the attached person may still have contact with this pet.

One rule this mutts and moms has that I find abhorant (beyond them taking the pet from what appears to be a satisfactory home) is this:

"Fink said Moms and Mutts has a rule that families with children under 14 are not allowed to adopt small dogs.

"It's for the protection of the dog," he said."

As someone who grew up with dogs. I find their blanket assessment of under 14 to be counter-intuitive to the actual experience of families and pets. We put our last dog down because of illness when the kid at home was 15. We decided not to get another dog for one reason only... Our lives were changed and we didnt have the time to put into the things a pup/young dog needs.

There is no better time to have a pet dog than PRIOR to age 14. This is when kids are playing and exploring yards and doing all kinds of stuff a dog can do too.

It is prior to the age of 14 kids learn the bond with animals and develop empathy and a host of other social skills that are only enhanced by having a dog or cat, or other pet to take care of, to greet you, to play with, etc.

The mutts and moms org would have better served the dogs they place and the public by investigating this family to see if they would qualify for a dog placement (ignoring their small dog and kids under 14 clause) and putting Ellen and her partner on a list of people no longer allowed to adopt from that shelter.

I hope this family finds a lawyer to sue them (mutts and moms) for age discrimination (frivolous or not).

I guess she had a contract. You can contract for almost anything that isn't illegal. I think it's silly. You're doing the dog a favor by taking it in, and once it's yours, you should be able to give it away.

I haven't had to buy or adopt any of my pets. My cat was a stray, and she's the best.

Well, let's not forget the shitty side of humans in all this. Idealism is fine, but.....

Not long ago, on the news here in Dallas, a family adopted a dog. The dog was fine as a puppy, but grew up and grew larger than they wanted. So, ....they chained the door outside to a tree with only a pad on the ground for a "home" and left it there for almost 15 years! No one played with it, no one cared about it, no one petted it, ....it's fur was so matted that the vet had to clip it close to the skin.

So, ....should we have rules? Or should adoption agencies go out and check on the adopted dogs periodically? Or maybe set up surveillance cameras? Or ...?

Humans can be the shittiest animals on Earth .....and most of y'al seem to forget that.

Baron Max

I don't know of any pet rescue organization that doesn't have the clause of; if for some reason you cannot keep the dog, it must be returned to the shelter. It cannot be given away to anyone else; in its adoption contract.

She was in violation of her contract. Had she read the contract in the first place, she may not have been in this mess.

One thing I don't like about the rescue organization is that not only did they say the family was not a good fit for the dog, they adopted the dog out to another family already. I cannot respect an organization that does crap like that.

Well, Sam, if you agree, then I'm going to have to change my mind. They should take the dog from the family and have it put to death immediately or sooner! And maybe they should do it in front of the little kids, too, to teach them a lesson in obeying the laws.

Baron Max
OMFG! ROFL!!!

Oh. My sides have finally stopped hurting...

:D:D

One thing I don't like about the rescue organization is that not only did they say the family was not a good fit for the dog, they adopted the dog out to another family already. I cannot respect an organization that does crap like that.

Well, they and many adoption agencies have rules about small dogs and kids. And this was a small dog. I don't necessarily agree with the policy, but they have more experience in adopting dogs than I do, so...? Kids may hurt small dogs if the parents aren't very careful.

Baron Max

Back