Egyptology

jmpet

Valued Senior Member
The more I study Egyptology, the more I see it as a patriarch to Judaism, which is a patriarch to Christianity.

I wonder- how much information is out there on Egyptology as a religion- is there enough to start it up again as an active religion?

Can we make some sort of Egyptian Bible?

Interesting thoughts.

Why that's all we need today, another religion for people to become a member of. Isn't 100 religions enough? I'd think people are confused enough today and by trying to bring back a dead religion is like reviving a dead language, let it RIP. :itold:

All religions origin from egypt.

The earliest evidence for prehistoric religion in India date back to the late Neolithic in the early Harappan period (5500–2600 BCE). The beliefs and practices of the pre-classical era (1500–500 BCE) are called the "historical Vedic religion". Modern Hinduism grew out of the Vedas, the oldest of which is the Rigveda, dated to 1700–1100 BCE. The Vedas center on worship of deities such as Indra, Varuna and Agni, and on the Soma ritual. Fire-sacrifices, called yajña were performed, and Vedic mantras chanted but no temples or icons were built. The oldest Vedic traditions exhibit strong similarities to Zoroastrianism and other Indo-European religions.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...euwehP&usg=AFQjCNEP9F7zkzncyOlS1COW91YhEK-57Q

The more I study Egyptology, the more I see it as a patriarch to Judaism, which is a patriarch to Christianity.

I wonder- how much information is out there on Egyptology as a religion- is there enough to start it up again as an active religion?

Can we make some sort of Egyptian Bible?

Interesting thoughts.

Unless you've started a minority cult movement that nobody has heard of - Egyptology isn't a religion. Egyptology is the name given to the study of ancient Egypt. Whilst this includes religion, it covers many other things too.

Other than the fact that it's older, I'm not sure quite how you see it as a patriarch to Judaism. The collection of gods and structure is far more similar to ancient Roman or Greek.

Why did you ignore polytheism of Ancient Greek and Roman along the way? They're also side productions of Egyptian system and gave a lot to Christianity.

Whats that fucking movie called .................. theres a youtube movie explaining how most modern religions come from egypt the book of the dead I think....... the concept of jesus son, etc. came from the sky............damn whats that movie called.

Whats that fucking movie called .................. theres a youtube movie explaining how most modern religions come from egypt the book of the dead I think....... the concept of jesus son, etc. came from the sky............damn whats that movie called.

Movies are your way of proving that religions came from Egypt? I'd really do some more research before letting movies be your only way to determine history. I gave you a link about Hinduism, which, to date, is the oldest religion known .

Obviously the movie was a documentery based on factual information.
Most religions origin in egypt. Hinduism as the oldest "religion"... I doubt that we can trace the earliest religions so I'll just agree that its older than some religions, maybe judiasm... and even that is arguable.

The way ancient Egyptians treated, adorned and worshipped their gods is a blueprint for how the Jews treated Yahwey. I suggest you read up if you are unfamiliar... I am not making this stuff up.

And let's not forget the cult of Akhnaten- the worship of one god.

I see traces of the earliest Judiasm directly tying into Egyption mythos, that's all.

The movie was Zeitgeist....
Explains the significance of Egyptian religion/astronomy.....

Oh, OK. But I guess, some customs probably go further back than Ancient Egypt. Sumerian beliefs are older.

The movie was Zeitgeist....
Explains the significance of Egyptian religion/astronomy.....

So you now see that it didn't say that religions were developed in Egypt first but had other things that the Egyptians were doing, astronomy was one of them but even Hinduism was studying astronomy before the Egyptians.

Jmpet there is an "egyptian bible" .......... google it.
Cosmic what I was basically saying was that most modern religions have there origin from egypt according to Zeitgeist. Hindiusm and other religions could be exceptions but most contemporary religions is from egypt not hindiusm.

Jmpet there is an "egyptian bible" .......... google it.
Cosmic what I was basically saying was that most modern religions have there origin from egypt according to Zeitgeist. Hindiusm and other religions could be exceptions but most contemporary religions is from egypt not hindiusm.

Hinduism is very close to what the Egyptians did with their practice of their religion. Egyptians had many Gods they worshiped as did the Hindus . If you were to investigate even more you'd find that the Egyptians developed many of their views from the Hindus.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'patriarch'. I'd call Christianity a Jewish heresy that went on to grow much larger than its parent. (Mainly because it was no longer an exclusively ethnic religion.)

As for Egyptian religion, it probably did influence the ancient Hebrews in some ways. The Hebrews' myths also show interesting similarities with religious ideas from ancient Mesopotamia.

But I don't see the ancient Hebrew religion as branching off of either Egyptian or Mesopotamian religion in quite the way that Christianity branched off Judaism. It didn't adopt the earlier religions' scriptures into its own canon, nor did it imagine itself as somehow being the fulfillment of those religions. Judaism borrowed a great deal from its neighbors, while simultaneously holding them at arm's length and emphasizing its differences from them.

I wonder- how much information is out there on Egyptology as a religion-

There's a vast scholarly literature on ancient Egyptian religion. You probably couldn't read it all in a lifetime.

Here's the results of a Google search for 'egyptian religion' on .edu websites. (I specified .edu to emphasize academic opinion as opposed to cranks and 'new age' sites.)

is there enough to start it up again as an active religion?

Probably not. For one thing, much of our knowledge of earlier Egyptian religion comes from heiroglyphs preserved on their monumental tombs, which tells us a great deal about their culture's obsession with overcoming death, but tells us little about other everyday aspects of their religiosity.

But this is the internet and anything's possible. You can probably search and find groups out there who purport to follow ancient Egyptian religion.

Back