Egyption Government ban Matrix Reloaded for Blasphemey

Cris

In search of Immortality
Valued Senior Member
I don't have an online version of the article so I have included it here in full - it is not too long.

It raises interesting issues concerning censorship for religious purposes. In the USA religious censorship on manstream TV is rife, e.g. censorship of sex scenes and nudity, yet at the same time allowing considerable violence. Isn't this a very confusing message.

The Egyptian governments board of censorship has cited objectionable religious themes as the rationale for banning the blockbuster movie, "Matrix Reloaded."

The film, which employs state-of-the-art special effects and stars Keanu Reeves, follows on the success of the 1999 release "The Matrix." It tells how advanced machines have enslaved humanity by creating an artificial illusionary software environment. "Reloaded" has Reeves and his resistance comrades fighting to prevent the destruction of Zion, a human refuge inside the earth.

According to various news reports, Egyptian authorities fear that seeing the movie would subject theater-goers to "crises." Madkur Thabet, Director of artistic censorship for the government board, told Agence France-Presses that "Despite its excellent technical level, the film was banned because it deals with subjects like human existence and creation.

"And these are questions linked to the three monotheistic religions that we respect and which we believe in. These questions have in the past provoked crises and tensions."

Thabet, sounding like many westerners who advocate censorship of mass media, added that "the film has too many scenes of violence at a time when we are trying to fight this phenomenon."

A statment issued by the censorship board added that the movie "explicitly handles the issue of existence and creation." Other problems include that the "Matrix Reloaded" deals with "the issue of the creator and his creations, searching for the origin of creation and the issue of compulsion and free will."

Other films, including the original "Matrix" and more current fare like "X2: X Men United" and "A Man Apart" are drawing large audiences and enjoy large advertisements in the Egyptian news media. However, notes MSNBC writer Charlene Gubash, as with most Western productions, government censors remove all sex scenes, including those depicting something as innocent as a kiss.

"Matrix Reloaded" seems to be receiving special treatment, though, says film critic Mahmoud Kassem who screened the film along with a penal of experts in literature, psychology and other fields. He told reporters that while he personally disagrees with censorship of media, "Islam rejects presenting God in a human form." "Matrix Reloaded" includes a character portraying a creator interacting with Reeves.

"Most (censors) are of the opinion they don't want to allow the kind of movie which touches on creator and creation," says Kassem. "They felt that a movie portraying God in human form or voice would be destructive to moviegoers."

He added that the censors were concerned about other issues as well, including the fact that the "Matrix Reloaded" might "harm social peace."

It is an interesting contrast between Islamic and Christian notions of a deity. Although both religions share common monotheistic and Abrahamic roots, "God" is widely portrayed in Christian art and ceremony. Michelangelo (Michelangelo Buonarroti, 1475-1564) did numerous sculptures portraying leading figures in both pagan and the Christian pantheons including centaurs, the Madonna, the Risen and slain Christ, and even Jehovah imparting the spark of life at creation to Adam.

Such portrayals, however, would be considered sheer blasphemy in Islam, where any depiction of Allah and the prophet, Mohammed, is deemed profane. "The Message," a movie about Mohammed is being released after a 20-year ban.

Yes, I just read the article about that, but in those countries, most movies are severely edited. all kissing scenes, ans sex scenes are edited out, and any sene that has anything to do with blasphemy is also gone. Since almost the whole Matrix movie is "blasphemy" to then, they were banned. That is why those people are in the dark anout a lot of western civilizationm

Well ....

A couple of short points. There's not much at this point to say:

(1) Of course I object to censorship
(2) If, however, you're going to censor movies, yeah, The Matrix films ought to be banned
(3) While I won't blame movies for violence, I find it disturbing that among the American cultural products making it around the world, there is an article in a topic on DRC in which a child soldier with no compunctions about killing tells the reporter that he likes to watch Schwarzeneggar and Stallone action films when he's not on patrol or at the front.
(4) The Egyptian government seems most unfortunate--Americans dislike Muslim states in general, and Al Qaeda would like to see the Egyptian government destroyed. While censorship is wrong, and perhaps it's my own distaste for The Matrix films that's motivating this sympathy, but banning The Matrix seems a pretty mundane move for a government stuck between a rock and a hard place in a society that is not yet free.

Doesn't make it right, but if I was running Egypt, my temper might compel me to censor a lot more before I calmed down. If I looked across the Atlantic and read through the rhetoric of Matrix-philosophers who worship the film, I would find the film quite possibly threatening. Come now, let's choose Zion, and not expect Muslims to react ... badly?

:m:,
Tiassa :cool:

Generally, the idea of Matrix is akin to taking possession of human body/brain/mind. Historically, religions were accustomed to deal with this by way of exhorcism etc. But matrix gives an idea of scientific possibility and the religions don't know how to deal with this. Till they find out a way, either spritual/scientific, they resort to banning the idea itslef as blasphemy. ironically banning arises curiosity and interest.

LOL. Yup, religions need to find some better special effects if they hope to keep up with other popular fiction.

Although I guess 9/11 is one such very unfortunate attempt.

Just for your information. The Egyptian reviewers also have a ban on showing any religious movie containing a prophet like Muhammed, Jesus, Moses, ect. They would never make a movie that would show god or angels, ect.....

I think the moral is, they don't want to contribute to the numerous misconceptions about religion, and they might have felt that the Matrix makes a religious statement that is untrue and could confuse people....afterall, it's a fiction.

Good point, Blackstone

I have to admit that, as an American, I've no idea what it's like to live in a society where the belief system doesn't change in response to the blowing of the wind. I would imagine that, given enough time, a culture fixated on a limited set of ideas would eventually find direct ways to undermine the faith. It's harder to do when a people believes whatever the hell they feel like believing at the time.

:m:,
Tiassa :cool:

Back