ecological impact of introducing ge organisms

It depends on what traits the GE organism has, if the GE organism can breed or not and what are the differences between what the GE organism needs and does and what its more politically correct selectively breed and/or hybridized versions needs and does.

Indeed it does depend on what the genetically engineered aspect of the organism is. If it gave them an advantage in survival against its competitors then it would thrive. And possibly extinction of other organisms could occur who simply could not get the best of their environment like the GE organism.

Its all a big race and if you have the evolutionary adavntage then you are sure to win. But you also have to take into account the ability to adapt to a changing environment. A GE organsim would have the same environmental pressures as the 'natural' organism and so whoever could best cope with the change would 'win'.

the only reason i would be weary of gmo's is that they have not evolved in the environments everything else has. the response to introduction can be unpredictable. perhaps it becomes an invasive species, crowding out the natives. or it could wipe out other species as a predator. or it becomes food for another species, causing it to thrive beyond capacity. or it could hybridize with the wildtype version leaving no pure wildtype left.

Those problems can all be solve by sterilizing, it is not to hard to engineering a lethal sterility operon that would make it impossible for the organism to breed or sprout on its own without human intervention.

Do you mean cloned extinct organisms or ... ?????

Well actually it doesn't really matter. its going to be negative for a while until the system gets the balance back that it had set on "perfect" before you introduced whatever.
Any introduction of any animal or plant is harmful to something, it doesn't matter if we notice or not. There is no such thing as positive introductions.
We as a species should have learned that lesson by now:rolleyes:
Its funny when we try to control a species we introduced into an area by introducing another species.
The people who make these decisions could really use a lesson on biodiversity from EO Wilson.

I’d factor farming methods into this as well as the ‘traits’ of the GM crop/animal.

I thought the idea of the environment being in ‘balance’ had been tossed out, replaced by the concept of continual transition

it might not necessarily be negative, i just think you can't accurately predict it. i don't mean to sound paranoid about new technology (if anything, i'm overly gungho about it). before automatically building sterilization into everything, maybe a testdrive could provide a view of what may happen.

These are the feared problems of EM foods:
Super weeds: will breed out side the farm and cause total ecological destruction
Super bugs: will breed insect and blight that are more resistant.
Eco-damage: will cause damage to the environment or local ecology.
The “Its not natural therefore its bad” dogma: the belief the gm food has trait that might have health side effects.

Many of this cases have legitimate worries but all are very over exaggerated, even more so the truth is that products created through selective breeding and hybridization (something we have been doing for thousands of years and is consider “natural” by most) have cause all of the above problems repeatedly!!!

Back