East vs West

SwedishFish

Conspirator
Registered Senior Member
what are your thoughts on eastern religions compared to western? what about each's concept of god/creation/mortality?

I think Eastern religions are more spiritual and tend to inspire and promote thought and questioning. They do not deny humanity.
Western religions seem to be more about following the rules and oppressing basic impulses. There is something unnatural about that.

Well said, valentino.

I agree.

Eastern religions, in general, because they DO promote thought and questioning, foster individuality, open mindedness and understanding.

Eastern religions are more closely related to philosophy. I've heard it said that there really isn't a distinction between the two.

Eastern religions are more relativistic.

Western religions tend to involve divine revelation to a greater extent. The bible is so valued, not because of its inherent insight, but because it is thought to be the word of God. That is the foundation for knowledge. Eastern religions tend to start with observations of the world, tend to have a more rigorous metaphysical basis, tend to be reasoned out, rather than stated authoratively.

Abrahamic religions are eastern as well . And when you can look past the traditional view of Christianity/Judaism/Islam , end go up into some Sufi/Qabbalah , Ull be alot closer to those philosophies one calls eastern .

if eastern religions are better (so it seems), why are western religions always entered into debates of science vs religion?

Originally posted by SwedishFish
if eastern religions are better (so it seems), why are western religions always entered into debates of science vs religion?
That's exactly why it may seem better. Why debate? No need for religious imperialism.

i think eastern religions are more a way of life than anything else. look at christianity, they go to church only on sundays. they have an official day for going to their place of worship. eastern religions lay emphasis on good conduct, and you can visit a temple or whatever whenever you want

Back