Earthquake-revelation connection?

weed_eater_guy

It ain't broke, don't fix it!
Registered Senior Member
I remember during one of my ventures into the Bible's book of relevations a mention of a giant earthquake. Does anyone think an earthquake with the result of over 120,000 deaths would fit into these predictions?

Any earthquake you choose could be made to fit. The book of Revelations is quite flexible.

weed_eater_guy said:
I remember during one of my ventures into the Bible's book of relevations a mention of a giant earthquake. Does anyone think an earthquake with the result of over 120,000 deaths would fit into these predictions?
did the prediction mentioned the exact date and number of dead?
until it does its no prediction at all!

Not to sound as if those lives were meaningless, but out of over 6 billion people in the world, 120,000 deaths is nothing. For something to be a biblical "revelation" that predicts of mass destruction and all that, there would have to be an earthquake that wipes out a good 500 million people or so to be considered "the" earthquake of earthquakes. Not to mention the predicted destruction would have mentioned huge flooding waves, not an earthquake to be the cause of this since the revelation is a vision, they would have only seen the high waters.

So in other words, no.

- N

Think about this. Suppose this earthquake and tsunami had ocurred at the end of the last ice age.

The current myth might be that the Water-god (for lack of a better term) sent giant waves to drown the iniquitous people to punish them for their sins. The sinful people were washed away and the righteous survived to build a new world.

Well, it actually did happen when glacial melt raised the ocean levels causing the Mediterranean Sea to flood into the then fresh water Black Sea causing a flood of massive proportions. Add concurrent heavy rains and violà, we have Noah's Flood of the Bible.

We're getting better though. Today, the blame can be shared with oil exploration companies, under-water nuclear tests, low frequency/high energy sonar, etc., as well as the gods. One of these millennia we'll get it right, though.

marv said:
Well, it actually did happen when glacial melt raised the ocean levels causing the Mediterranean Sea to flood into the then fresh water Black Sea causing a flood of massive proportions. Add concurrent heavy rains and violà, we have Noah's Flood of the Bible.
Small technical correction: the Mediterranean flooded five million years ago at the start of the Pliocene. The Black Sea flood may well have given rise to Noah myth, or it could have been the similar flooding of the Gulf, that occured around the same time.

weed_eater_guy said:
I remember during one of my ventures into the Bible's book of revelations a mention of a giant earthquake. Does anyone think an earthquake with the result of over 120,000 deaths would fit into these predictions?

Nope.

The earthquake mentioned in the book of Revelation will be the most powerful the world has ever experienced. While the indian ocean earthquake was a powerful one i believe it will be as nothing compared to the Earthquake fortold in Revelation.

Revelation 16:18
And there were noises and thunderings and lightnings; and there was a great earthquake, such a mighty and great earthquake as had not occurred since men were on the earth.

Jesus mentioned that there will be wars and talk of wars and earthquakes in many places as signs of the end times. If we are nearing the Day of The Lord then this Indian ocean quake might be one of those earthquakes? Then again it might not be.

Matthew 24
6 "And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. 7 "For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places. 8 "All these are the beginning of sorrows. 9 "Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My name's sake.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Small technical correction, Ophiolite: the flood of the Black Sea ocurred about 6,000 BC. Geologists with an expedition headed by Ballard (who found the Titanic) confirm this. The findings included neolithic villages under water and located close to what would have been an earlier shore line of the Black Sea.

Yes. I am agreeing with your Black Sea example. I am familiar with Ballard's work. I just wanted to correct the Mediterranean flood timing. As an aside one reseacher (and regretably the name escapes me) went so far as to suggest that the Mediterranean flood effected Homo erectusand that memory of this had been preserved for millions of years! A charming notion, but a little too fanciful for me.

weed_eater_guy said:

It helps to read the whole context in the book of Revelation to understand the meaning of that particular earthquake. :)

Oh man, nobody told me about this. :( god is going to kill us all again??

That's all he ever seems to do to us humans, and always by more amusingly delicious means... Floods, plagues, earthquakes..

What a charming guy. :bugeye:

It reminds me of when I was a young boy. I spent hours and hours setting up a huge battlefield of toy soldiers. I spent so much time on positioning and details, and then.. just because I felt like it, I dropped an imaginary nuclear bomb on the lot of them and wiped them out. Oh what fun.

Revelations6:12-17; I watched as the Lamb broke the sixth seal, and there was a great earthquake. the sun became as dark as black cloth, and the moon became as red as blood. then the stars of the sky fell to the earth like green figs falling from trees shaken by mighty winds and the sky was rolled up like a scroll and taken away. And all of the mountains and all of the islands dissappeared. Then the kings of the earth, the rulers, the generals, the wealthy people, the people with great power, and every slave and every free person-all hid themselves in the caves and among the rocks of the mountains. And they cried to the mountains and the rocks, "fall on us and hide us from the face of the one wo sits on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb. for the great day of their wrath has come, and who will be able to survive?"

Simple answer-no. I saw not the sun become black, the moon turn red, or the stars of the sky fall.

This worldwide earthquake, also know as the Wrath of the Lamb, will be a disaster unlike any the earth has seen.

Back