Early American Hyrax Bones Wrongly Attributed To Protorohippus?

common_sense_seeker

Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador
Valued Senior Member
The hyrax skeleton is remarkably similar to the protorohippus skeleton. Both have simple tapir-like teeth and four front toes and three rear toes. It's possible that some of these finds were in fact early hyrax which have been wrongly attributed to the protorohippus imo. Mystery three toed tracks have been found all over North America. Is there a clever species of modern hyrax which is able to stay undetected from science?

This ongoing report series on the curious hyrax really should be condensed into its own subforum. "Hyraxes in the news", that's what I'm thinking.

Is there a clever species of modern hyrax which is able to stay undetected from science?
Did this intelligent hyrax also invent Google?
Evidence supporting the hypothesis:
1) I've read speculation that an intelligent hyrax exists
2) I've actually got Google
3) I thought of it and I like the idea.

PS is this intelligent science-avoiding hyrax the flying luminous one, the giant carnivorous truck-driving one or the invisible amphibious one? I lose track sometimes.

Hence the need for a separate subforum. Many people aren't as up to date on hyrax news as they might otherwise be.

Hence the need for a separate subforum. Many people aren't as up to date on hyrax news as they might otherwise be.
LOL!

The fossils shown could be an early ancestor of the horse *and* the hyrax. One stood on it's hind legs to browse the bushes and trees, whilst the other lowered it's head and benefited from grazing the grasses. See attached. Only one small step from being a browser to a secretive tree-hopper.

Edit: "Indeed, its first and correct scientific name, Hyracotherium, was coined because it was believed to be related to the hyrax. A later name for the same ancestor, Eohippus, was used because the fossils were first discovered in deposits from the Eocene epoch. (Hippus coming from the Greek for horse.)" Maybe the continents were connected for longer than realised and that there is a common ancestor of the NA protorohippus and the African hyrax?

Last edited:
Back