Earliest time for fetus DNA?

Syzygys

As a mother, I am telling you
Valued Senior Member
This issue came up in Boston Legal, and I thought the way how they did it was impossible. So let's run it by the board:

Denise realized she got pregnant, and since there were 2 possible fathers, she took DNA samples to compare it with the fetus' DNA.

Now I am guessing she was about 6 weeks into her pregnancy, and I think that is way too early to check a fetus' DNA withoutserious medical penetration into the womb. I can see that when doctors can get a blood sample of the baby, the DNA comparison is easy, but I would put that time much later in the pregnancy.

Also that early in the pregnancy there is no medical reasons (there could be legal) why they should endanger the fetus by trying to DNA sample it.

But I am not an expert, so feel free to correct me...

Amniocentesis

BORN TO DIE BABY. When I was born, my mom told me, the doctor who received me kicked me lightly to check if I could feel it...I did feel it...but instead of screaming like all the others...I hummed at him.

"That said, you'll want to consider the small risk that the procedure will cause you to miscarry. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the risk of miscarriage from amniocentesis is between one in 200 and one in 400, depending on the skill and experience of the doctor performing it. You'd also have a slight risk of uterine infection in the days following the procedure (less than one in 1,000), which can sometimes lead to miscarriage. These are all things you should discuss with your partner, your practitioner, and a genetic counselor."
http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/327.html#3

So Denise is ok to have a 1/200 chance of miscarriage rather than give birth to most likely a healthy baby.

Very good show.

Although I strongly doubt she'll have an abortion. That would be pressing the moral sensibilities of Americans a bit too far. Generally speaking, even the most Liberal of us are not cool with abortion as a form of birth control, which this would essentially be.

Apparently in about 7% of the time simply from the mother's blood they were able to extract the baby's DNA. This would be the most ideal method, non-intrusive and no danger for the baby.

I guess there is no non-dangerous early method right now...

Slightly offtopic, but in te same episode, there was a drug mentioned that clears recent memories, thus it is perfect for rape victims or other PTSD sufferers.

I am not sure that kind of drug actually exists. Or does it?

Slightly offtopic, but in te same episode, there was a drug mentioned that clears recent memories, thus it is perfect for rape victims or other PTSD sufferers.

I am not sure that kind of drug actually exists. Or does it?

it exists. was used in KGB.

Apparently in about 7% of the time simply from the mother's blood they were able to extract the baby's DNA. This would be the most ideal method, non-intrusive and no danger for the baby.

I guess there is no non-dangerous early method right now...

it is a danger for the baby 1/200 do miscarriage.

Generally speaking, even the most Liberal of us are not cool with abortion as a form of birth control, which this would essentially be.
Speak for yourself. No wait, men have no right to have our opinions on abortion heard. Anyway I know two women who have used abortion several times as a form of birth control, and neither of them is what this mellow Californian would call "liberal."

Back