Duplication

spuriousmonkey

Banned
Banned
there was another article on duplication of genes and the evolutionary function of this process:

Nature,vol 421, p63 2003:

it seems that the duplication of genes protect the organism against null mutations (where the gene function is completely lost). This even works if the gene sequence is the second copy has diverged quite a lot of the original one. usually it still functions on a similar level.

Gee man WOW that’s news!!! :rolleyes:

Every one seems to read that mag. to me the order of magazine quality in the sciences goes like this:

6. Popular science
5. Discovery
4. [Your magazine]
3. Scientific American
2. Nature
1. [Any magazine that is a peer review publisher for you specific field like: Biotechnology]

Fetus:

Did you leave out "Science" on purpose, or accident? I've always thought of it as the American version of "Nature". Gotta admit, though, that I read the former often and the latter almost never.

Oh sorry I forgot :) I would place that between Nature and SA. I don't read it often just Nature and SA.

'Cell' is better then 'nature' or 'science' though, because it has a high impact factor AND you can publish full length articles.

but the reason that often popular science journals are mentioned is because not everybody is a scientist and they are more easy to understand.

edit:

my favourite journals:

1. new scientist: i have a personal subscription and use it as my saturday newspaper
2. nature: maybe one day i will be in it (keep dreaming)
3. development: standard journal in my field.
4. the rest is all the same to me

i didn't mention one journal which is probably the best, but i am biased concerning this journal.

Last edited:
Ok maybe there is a lot more personal bias in the belief of what is a quality science magazine then I thought :p

Originally posted by WellCookedFetus
Ok maybe there is a lot more personal bias in the belief of what is a quality science magazine then I thought :p

it is just that I am editor-in-chief of this journal, so it must be the best ;)

Back