Dreams

Latexlover

Registered Senior Member
I seem to be always short on sleep, so when I go to bed I almost immediatly fall asleep. I rarely remember any of my dreams, maybe 1 out of 15 or so. The only dreams I do remember are ones in which commercial airliners are crashing, sometimes with me in it :D I'm actually flying out on Sunday :D I do remember the sex dreams though, but I won't go into detail :D

Any idea on why I can't hardly remember any of my dreams? Is it cause I'm too short of sleep?

I find that if I get enough sleep then I don't remember my dreams.
The only times I can even recall having dreamed are those where I am awakened before I wake naturally.

This could be because if allowed to wake naturally, you are further from a REM state than if you wake in the middle of REM.

The only dreams I do remember are ones in which commercial airliners are crashing, sometimes with me in it I'm actually flying out on Sunday

Anxiety

Have a safe trip and let us know if there was any incident on your flight...

Hey Latexlover, same thing's been happening to me too :) Especially during the end of the year, when the teachers go ballistic trying to shove just one more assignment down, I don't dream at all. I think it's because of stress. But now that summer vacation's here, I can dream again...and remember them. :)

Have you ever had that sort of sleep where you wake up feeling like you didn't sleep at all?

Any idea on why I can't hardly remember any of my dreams? Is it cause I'm too short of sleep?

Latexlover, A lot of people don't remember their dreams, this is common. Even people that do don't remember all of their dreams. Most people remember one, the one that happens before they wake up, but on a normal 8 hour sleep night, people have about 4-5 dreams.

If you want to remember your dreams wake yourself up in the middle of an REM cycle (like esp said), try setting your alarm at various times in the sleep cycle. Generally at about 7 - 7 1/2 hours into sleeping would be good for most, but people probably differ. Also, keep a dream journal, so that you can write a dream down when you wake up and keep it in memory. And go to bed with the intention of remembering your dreams. You just need to practice remembering.

Originally posted by %BlueSoulRobot%
Hey Latexlover, same thing's been happening to me too :) Especially during the end of the year, when the teachers go ballistic trying to shove just one more assignment down, I don't dream at all. I think it's because of stress. But now that summer vacation's here, I can dream again...and remember them. :)

I doubt it's stress. I think stress would cause you to remember more dreams if anything. Did you have different sleep schedules during final, or couldn't sleep as well?

Have you ever had that sort of sleep where you wake up feeling like you didn't sleep at all?

Yeah, when you oversleep you get extra REM cycles and each successive REM cycle gets larger and larger and the relaxing, deep sleep cycles get smaller and smaller. When the brain is in REM it's active and not resting, so if you get too much REM your brain hasn't rested, so you are still tired.

I doubt it's stress. I think stress would cause you to remember more dreams if anything. Did you have different sleep schedules during final, or couldn't sleep as well?

Yep, definitely had different sleeping patterns! :D All that studying, and project finishing...I didn't have too much trouble falling asleep though, because I'd usually bore myself to sleep by reciting what I had studied, heh heh :D

Yeah, when you oversleep you get extra REM cycles and each successive REM cycle gets larger and larger and the relaxing, deep sleep cycles get smaller and smaller. When the brain is in REM it's active and not resting, so if you get too much REM your brain hasn't rested, so you are still tired.

Ohhh...I see! :) Thanks!

drink lots of water before you go to bed this will force you to wake and go to the loo and you will be in rem that little bit longer

Back