Double Standards

truth

Registered Senior Member
In New York City schools it is okay to display Jewish and Muslim religious symbols, but apparently Christian ones are not acceptable. Political correctness is just idiotic and ridiculous.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,104916,00.html

---------------------------------
"A man may conduct himself well in both adversity and good fortune, but if you want to test his character, give him power."

Abraham Lincoln

Click here for Fox News Channel's fair and balanced report.

Fox news, fair and balanced = oxymoron no?

Apparently they are more afraid the label "anti-semitism" is gonna stick to them than "anti-cristian" , but it does make them look stuuuupid.

You must allow all or none otherwise you lose credibillity.

I say, let the holy child Jezus be shone upon by a jewish star and an islamic moon, or put a more secular shrine there: the playstation 3

I believe they should allow the people to where whatever religious symbol they like if it offends anyone the people simply wont cross paths.

But...a star and some candles, stocking a tree and a snowman all don't offend anyone.

Now the baby Jesus, the possible messiah...that is offensive, (to people who are easily offended). Understandable.

The New York Civil Liberties Union (search) agreed: "The Constitution prohibits government from promoting religion, any religion, and that means that public schools can be in the business of promoting religion," Donna Lieberman of the NYCLU said.

This is probably the biggest part of that article that I just don't understand. If the government is prohibited from endorsing any religion, then why do they say that ". . . public schools can be in the business of promoting religion" How does that make sense?

My take on the issue? Put up a cross, a baby Jesus, one of them crescent moon and stars, and then just burn 'em all and put up a snowman and some winery things in their place. Keep religious iconography out of the schools, it's a place for learning, not social engineering.

As the issue stands, I don't think that it's really a double standard, I mean they are letting the kids put up a Christmas tree, right? So what the hell is the problem? Putting up a nativity scene is just a step away from throwing up a fucking alter to prey in the schools hallways. It's dangerous ground as it is, but for gods sake don't throw Jesus in there, it's just asking for trouble.

Last edited:
The only difference

The only difference I can come up with is the difference between a symbol and a depiction.

A symbol of Christianity would do well enough to balance things out. But a nativity scene? That's a little above and beyond. Technically, I don't see a double-standard.

Nonetheless, the only real solution is to get all of those symbols out of there. Religion in schools should be confined largely to reference books, and if it must be taught, well ... it should be taught as a branch of the social sciences as an historical and sociological survey.

As to the larger assertion about political correctness, has anyone noticed the insane "conservative PC" floating around the wars lately?

And remember, political correctness only exists as a corrective influence because Americans can't communicate very clearly, anyway. Functionally speaking, when vulgarity becomes the norm for administration, mistakes can arise through miscommunication.

If political correctness seems ridiculous and idiotic, that's about on par, as political correctness seeks to neutralize ridiculous idiocy.

Remember--they're arguing about religious symbols in a public school to begin with. We're dealing with very stupid people from the outset. If childhood morality fantasies weren't so bleeding and irrationally important to people, there wouldn't be a hair-splitting, plate-spinning, highwire-balancing act going on like this.

Just like anything else: gender, ethnicity, economic classifications ... if it wasn't for misogynists, racists, and the cruelty of the rich, there wouldn't be a feminist, diverse, or angry backlash.

In other words, if people didn't have to undertake seemingly-unnecessary and unreasonable measures to fend off vicious, uneducated, and dangerous stupidity, there would be no seemingly-unnecessary or -unreasonable countermeasures to complain about.

It would be nice to say, "Why make these rules? People should just get along."

But they don't. Sometimes it seems as if they won't.

Why is this? It would be irresponsible of me to speculate, as it is only fair to accept that people have their own individual reasons to be cruel to one another, and I need not concern myself about the validity of those reasons.

And, besides ... take a look at the season: It's Christmas, for Christ's sake! It is not the Ramadan shopping season. It is not the Hannukah shopping season. It is not the Winter Solstice shopping season. It is the Christmas shopping season. Look, Christians have a whole f@cking holiday season to themselves that the culture revolves around, and they somehow feel cheated by the Jews and Muslims?

What's right according to the rules? Pitch 'em all. What's right according to being fair? Complaining Christians ought to shut the hell up and take comfort in the fact that an impressive portion of the American economy depends on the annual commemoration of Christ's birth.

I mean, when the prevailing influence complains that it's not allowed equal time?

Does Christianity need any more publicity....i mean really, being one of the biggest and most influential religion isn't enough?.....attention hungry institutions get me so mad...*shakes fist*

A symbol of Christianity would do well enough to balance things out. But a nativity scene? That's a little above and beyond.
it's a good point......

but Christianity is the dominating religion in the US... and this obsession about separating anything remotely religious from everyday life is plainly stupid.

the Nativity scene.......what's wrong with that? a little taste of tradition. big freakin deal. it's not the Holy Inquisition. get over it.

it is not part of "a hidden agenda" or "attempt to publicize" .. it is culture and tradition... oohh, look out now... here comes the Nativity scene... hide your children and women!

It is the Christmas shopping season. Look, Christians have a whole f@cking holiday season to themselves that the culture revolves around, and they somehow feel cheated by the Jews and Muslims?
last Christmas season, our dear (now-former) mayor Mel (from Toronto) decided to rename the big Christmas tree at Nathan Phillips square at the centre of the city to be called the Holiday tree ( :bugeye: )

Tiassa, you think that this is a reasonable, logical, sane reaction to the world's troubles?

the next day there were some statements made in the media by at least one Rabbi who was a major community leader....and i think some Muslim leaders too.... that this is goofyness and stupidity....so they renamed the Holiday tree back to the Christmass tree..

and what's up with the "happy holidays" greeting?? that is so freakin stupid! how can people keep a straight face when saying it?
if someone tells me "marry Christmas" i'll tell him "marry Christmas" back..
no, it's does not violate my freakin religious rights and freedoms or belittle my traditions if someone greets me the wrong way.

i read an article by a Rabbi last year. pretty interesting stuff. he said "if someone tells you 'marry Christmas' it is not the time for correcting him, but for rejoicing and celebrating with him"...something like that.
if it is not yours, it does not mean you can't enjoy it.

religious holidays shouldn't be a reason for separation... it is a reason for celebration

Last edited:
OK, first of all, christmas is a christian holiday. If they are going to celebrate it at all, they are acknowledging the nativity. Whether Jesus is/was the messiah or not, the real or fictional event depicted in a nativity scene is the basis on which the christmas holiday exists.

On a more general level, free exercise of religion should enable any person, of any religion, to put up any symbol of any religion anywhere. Why not? Freedom of religion doesn't give you free license to deny the reality that your belief is the only one out there and pretend that other religions don't exist. If somebody wants to put up a religious symbol, they should be able to, regardless of which religion it represents.

That said, I have to question their motives, since the people who make these kinds of claims are often the same ones who argue against evolution being taught in schools (which IMO is insane), but on this particular issue I believe they are correct.

(edited for clairty)

Last edited:
Back