DoMA stands after first real test

Mystech

Adult Supervision Required
Registered Senior Member
Massachusetts right now is the only state that allows same-sex marriage, but Wilson and Schoenwether want their home state of Florida to recognize their union, too. Their attempt to get that recognition, though, was soundly rejected Wednesday when a judge dismissed their lawsuit, upholding a federal law that allows states to ban same-sex marriages.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/01/20/samesex.marriage.ap/index.html

In case anyone hasn't been following the federal law mentioned is the Defense of Marriage Act, which was signed into law in 1996, defines marriage as between one man and one woman, and also stipulates that no state needs to recognize a marriage license issued to a same-sex couple in another state (full faith and credit be damned).

Being that this law flies right in the face of the constitution, codifying the religiously inspired bigotry (or at least religion seems to be the only justification given) it's bit hard to see how it's still standing. After all it seems as transparent as the Jim Crow laws of Yore, face it this just isn't good law, and that fact is evident in the fact that so many right-wingers are pushing for state and federal constitutional amendments to build up a bulwark for when the DoMA finally falls.

"This is a legal shot heard 'round the world," said attorney Ellis Rubin, who filed the lawsuit on the women's behalf. "But we are not giving up. ... This case is going to be resolved in the U.S. Supreme Court, and I have said that since the day I filed it."

Well sure, and why not? After all this is at it's core a constitutional issue. Conservatives have been doing their best to work around the 14th amendment, but without actually changing the constitution they really aren't going to be able to keep stalling the natural legal process which seems now to finally be under way.

The rulings are the latest in a national debate on the legality and morality of same-sex marriage that has been raging since 2003, when Massachusetts became the first state to legalize the unions. Opponents are bolstered by last year's elections, when 11 states pushed through constitutional amendments banning gay marriage.

On a bit of a side note I think this comment sort of tips CNN's hand as being a bit ull of themselves, as the main stream American media in general seems to be. The fight for same-sex marriage has been going on for quite a bit longer than they claim here, and really took off in the summer of 2002 after the Supreme Court's ruling on Lawrence V. Texas which essentially said that states could no longer simply make it it a criminal offence to be a homosexual (and as such implied that hey maybe we're entitled to rights just like the rest of the country's tax paying citizens). In typical form, of course and likely in the name of brevity over actual information they take the stance that if they weren't reporting on it at the time then it didn't really happen. . . Just a reminder to perhaps seek out a wider variety of news sources [/Public Service Announcement]

President Bush has promised to make a federal anti-gay marriage amendment a priority of his second term.

Another misrepresentation, Bush did say this prior to having been elected, but it seemed now, just as the Democrats were charging, that this was nothing but a divisive distraction tactic designed to galvanize his base (the crazy-religious right) who seem to think that gay rights (and the need to deny them those simple rights) are the number one domestic issues that should be on the agenda. He has since stated (only after having been elected) that he's not going to push for an amendment so long as the DoMA stands, mostly because he knows that the support for it just doesn't exist even in the republican controlled congress.

Moody sided with Attorney General John Ashcroft, who argued in court filings that the government has a legitimate interest in allowing states to ban same-sex marriages, namely to encourage "stable relationships" for the rearing of children by both biological parents.

My goodness if only things were this simple! It's a sad fact of life that a ding-dong and a hooha don't qualify anyone to raise children, but it sure as hell doesn't stop them from doing it anyhow. Also the implied charge that homosexual relationships are unstable is sort of trumped by the fact that married gay couples tend to have a lower divorce rate than straight couples, but admittedly being that there aren't any documents for this sort of thing in most of the country they are harder to count.

Also, as for the idea that a marriage needs to serve the state-interest. . . at what point did we get into a position in this country where civil institutions exist to serve the government and not the other way around? Do all of our interpersonal relationships and interactions now need to take into account how it serves the government? What ever happened to individual rights and guaranteed protections? We’re lucky they haven’t officially applied this new standard to free speech yet. . . then again look at Fox News, we’re not that far off!

"Despite this ruling, we are still married in our hearts, and legally married in Massachusetts," she said. Her partner added: "No civil rights movement was lost on one bad court decision."

Tell it, sister. It's going to take a lot more fire-hosings and sacking of the dogs on activists before things will be settled, but in the mean time the institution of same-sex marriage already exists, and will continue to exist, it's already the reality, now will the government quit giving it's ear only to right wing evangelical Christians and finally recognize the reality of the situation.

The women argued the Defense of Marriage Act was unconstitutional because it was discriminatory on the basis of sex and violated their fundamental rights.

Sorry, Tiassa, I know you had a real hard on for this argument. It doesn't seem that it went over too well this time, but who knows there is probably still some use for it. They apparently countered that it's not gender discrimination because the rule is applied equally to men and women, but that doesn't really address the fact that we're not dealing with a man and a woman here. It's rather akin to the flawed argument that banning same sex marriage is non-discriminatory because homosexuals are still free to marry members of the opposite sex just like everyone else. . . oh goody that certainly does suit our needs, now doesn't it? It's a bit like saying that writers don't need intellectual property protection because musicians can record phonorecords. . .

"The legislatures of individual states may decide to overturn its precedent and strike down" the law, Moody wrote. "But, until then, this court is constrained to hold (the law) and the Florida statutes ... constitutionally valid."

Well the law stands today, but it seems that not even Judge Moody (I'm assuming he was the judge, take a look through the article, it doesn't specify, but the context does seem to point to it) doesn't seem to think that the law is going to stand for much longer.

And just in case we forgot what this legal battle is all about:
Last year, a federal bankruptcy judge in Washington state ruled the Defense of Marriage Act constitutional when a lesbian couple sought to file for bankruptcy as a heterosexual couple would. But that decision was not binding on other courts.

Haha, silly lesbians, you think you have rights? Sorry, we know you're living together as an exclusive pair bond and you share everything and that makes it pretty damned hard for you to divvy things up when you need to file as an individual rather than jointly for things like bankruptcy (or taxes or what have you) but we really don't care because some say that once a man lived thousands and thousands of years ago who didn't think particularly well of your kind. Now doesn’t that justification make a lot of sense in our secular society today?

A little caveat about that last paragraph for the especially dense (and I do know that you're out there): No, bankruptcy alone isn't what I mean to say the fight for marriage is about, do a little checking up on the federal and state laws that applied to you and you'll find that there are hundreds if not thousands of little legal considerations including hospital visitations and some tax considerations and estate matters as well as some benefits like private healthcare coverage which go along hand in hand with a piece of paper certifying a civil marriage.

The appeals court said that opposite-sex couples were distinguished from same-sex couples because they can produce children and that the couples who filed the lawsuit did not establish that they had a "core value" right to marry.

The appeals court said that opposite-sex couples were distinguished from same-sex couples because they can produce children and that the couples who filed the lawsuit did not establish that they had a "core value" right to marry.

Yet couples who plan on not having children or whom are physically incapable of having children are still allowed to marry, nor is the institution entirely geared toward spitting out children to raise, and of course all of this ignores the fact that heterosexuals seem to be having more children than they can handle, and same-sex couples can provide a safe and loving home for an adopted child just as easily as any other infertile couple, and as such are still beneficial to the next generation.

Buy the way I really love the idea that we must prove a "core value" in the exact same way that every heterosexual has had to do before they marry. . . right.

Well and one more real zingger before I wrap up this rambling post:
"Opposite-sex marriage furthers the legitimate state interest in encouraging opposite-sex couples to procreate responsibly and have and raise children within a stable environment," the ruling said.

I know that I don't often say much that's nice about those uptight traditionalists, but even I have to admit that when they crack a joke it ends up being all that much more funny. This one had me laughing out loud for minuets and is still getting a few residual chuckles out of me as I sit and type.

Last edited:
Remember when it was a ligitimate state interest to not let the races mix?

SpyMoose said:
Remember when it was a ligitimate state interest to not let the races mix?

Well it’s kind of a shame that America has abandoned it's Nazi-esque eugenics program, isn't it? The degradation of the white race is a sad sad thing, and I suppose that at least on that level I can sympathies the traditionalists. first Tiger Woods and now same sex marriage. . . I suppose we have been rather insensitive to their wholesome family values, haven't we?

Why, its getting so a man can't even lynch some sort of irregular colored, homosexual, or jewish type. Middle America won't stand for that much longer! Thank god Bush can take us back to the glory days. ...wait, should I have capitalized god?

Screw all the scared and close-minded homophobes. Let those religious zealots burn in Hell. :D

- N

But I don't beleive in Hell, so I take no condolence in that right now.
Right now, they are burning civil rights in the courtrooms and not enough people give a shit about it because it doesn't directly affect them.

just leave, add this to the already extensive list of why the SU sucks cock, and go somewhere else

Back