Doesn't the U.S. have an ethical duty to defend Iraq?

Why?

Registered Senior Member
We started this war. Don't we have an ethical duty to defend the Iraq government until it can defend itself?

The Iraq government is a branch of the US government. I think the question is, do we have an ethical duty to defend the minority of Iraqis who want us to stay against the majority of Iraqis who want us to leave? Then the answer is clear.

The same dilemma was faced in Vietnam. There, the answer was to assist the emigration of some Vietnamese allies, but let most of them be executed or "re-educated" by the new government. Almost certainly less people died than if we had stayed in Vietnam, considering that the US killed or caused to be killed 4.7 million people in the region.

I just don't understand why they don't divide it up 3 ways - setup a good balance of power and then skedaddle.

How can an Iraqi government with a representational democracy possibly be a branch of the U.S. government? Don't we have an ethical responsibility to the Iraqi people to allow them to keep their government? Are you seriously saying that given a free choice, the people of Iraq would rather have a dictatorship or a theocracy?

How can an Iraqi government with a representational democracy possibly be a branch of the U.S. government?
It's a puppet government of the US, not a democracy. Only the one election was held for show; no more are planned and the people have no power to make an election happen.

Don't we have an ethical responsibility to the Iraqi people to allow them to keep their government?
It's not their government or else they would be able to change it, and the US would respect the opinion of the majority of Iraqis and leave. But they can't vote and the US has no intention of leaving.

Are you seriously saying that given a free choice, the people of Iraq would rather have a dictatorship or a theocracy?
No, I think that given a free choice, the majority would want a democracy.

In the abstract, yes. In reality, it was never part of the plan.

Why? said:

We started this war. Don't we have an ethical duty to defend the Iraq government until it can defend itself?

In the abstract, I suppose. But the idea of an independent Iraqi government should not be regarded as a serious idea inasmuch as it contradicted the reasons for going to war. Certainly, our administration spoke of regime change and freedom for the Iraqi people, but, to consider Zanket's point, that the Iraqi government is just "a branch of the U.S. government", hindsight suggests quite emphatically that cynical foresight was largely correct. More specifically, the Iraqis are free to elect their own government as long as the U.S. approves. If the U.S. does not approve, our government will find some way of undermining or breaking the Iraqi institutions. Consider the Chalabi melodrama. (What is he this week, by the way? Merely guilty? Faithful partner? Enemy sympathizer?)

Yes, in the abstract, the United States has ethical obligations including (to use your wording):

• The "duty to defend the Iraq government until it can defend itself".
• The duty "to the Iraqi people to allow them to keep their government".​

Right now, interestingly enough, many Iraqis would probably prefer a dictator to democracy. After all, under their last dictator, they had rudimentary health care, public education, and relative social stability. I'm guessing that prostitutes were probably worth more than the $8 a day they're worth now, though I'm more confident that it wasn't quite the same degree of a buyer's market.

Consider a recent CNN.com report:

"At the start I was cleaning homes, but I wasn't making much. No matter how hard I worked it just wasn't enough," she says.

Karima, clad in all black, adds, "My husband died of lung cancer nine months ago and left me with nothing."

She has five children, ages 8 to 17. Her eldest son could work, but she's too afraid for his life to let him go into the streets, preferring to sacrifice herself than risk her child.

She was solicited the first time when she was cleaning an office.

"They took advantage of me," she says softly. "At first I rejected it, but then I realized I have to do it."
(Damon)

While I don't doubt that some Iraqi women under Saddam Hussein sold themselves to make ends meet, the idea of forbidding a 17 year-old son from work because of the violence in the streets is a difficult perspective to grasp. As expressed in a recent New York Times editorial written by six soldiers returning from Iraq:

. . . . The ability of, say, American observers to safely walk down the streets of formerly violent towns is not a resounding indicator of security. What matters is the experience of the local citizenry and the future of our counterinsurgency. When we take this view, we see that a vast majority of Iraqis feel increasingly insecure and view us as an occupation force that has failed to produce normalcy after four years and is increasingly unlikely to do so as we continue to arm each warring side.

Coupling our military strategy to an insistence that the Iraqis meet political benchmarks for reconciliation is also unhelpful. The morass in the government has fueled impatience and confusion while providing no semblance of security to average Iraqis . . . .

. . . . At the same time, the most important front in the counterinsurgency, improving basic social and economic conditions, is the one on which we have failed most miserably. Two million Iraqis are in refugee camps in bordering countries. Close to two million more are internally displaced and now fill many urban slums. Cities lack regular electricity, telephone services and sanitation. “Lucky” Iraqis live in gated communities barricaded with concrete blast walls that provide them with a sense of communal claustrophobia rather than any sense of security we would consider normal.

In a lawless environment where men with guns rule the streets, engaging in the banalities of life has become a death-defying act. Four years into our occupation, we have failed on every promise, while we have substituted Baath Party tyranny with a tyranny of Islamist, militia and criminal violence . . . .
(Jayamaha et al.)

The thing is that transitions to freedom are rough. It's how many years later, and the Russians still haven't grasped the concept completely? Even without the violence, it's a hard transformation of economic and mundane life. Freedom from government means more paperwork, more bureaucracy, a new kind of tyranny. The upside is that your HMO isn't going to shoot you in the head for pointing out how much they suck. The downside is that it takes time, and the fruits of liberty will most likely only blossom for the current generation in Iraq; the harvest will be for their children and grandchildren.

What the Iraqi people seem to want most of all is a chance to get on with life. Had our government sent the troops honestly, ensured the job would be done diligently, and not made this whole thing a political stunt of staggering proportions, they might have done well enough. Perhaps the effort would have required shocking house-to-house searches through the whole of Iraq. Perhaps the civilian toll would be soul-chilling in its own right. But our leaders have managed to make out of this a completely new disaster, one in which the U.S. perpetually fuels the fire that burns it. The Bush administration has endured the slings and arrows of political life, and should be happy with that outcome. After all, it is our soldiers, and mostly the Iraqi people, who suffer the true damage and horror of this war. By comparison, a life sentence to be viewed as a monster by a portion of the population you never respected, anyway, is a good deal.

In the abstract, yes, the United States owes Iraq many obligations of moral and ethical duty. In reality, though, it does not seem a stretch to point out that only the naîve ever actually expected that the current government would come through on those obligations.

Yes, we have obligations. But no, we don't, because we're the United States of America, and such notions apparently don't apply to our government.

We'll see what the '08 election brings. The people are sort of schizophrenic about their politicians.

Notes:

Damon, Arwa. "Iraqi women: Prostituting ourselves to feed our children". CNN.com. August 16, 2007. See http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/08/15/iraq.prostitution/index.html

Jayamaha, Buddhika, Wesley D. Smith, et al. "The War as We Saw It". NYTimes.com. August 19, 2007. See http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/19/opinion/19jayamaha.html

No. You have to make choices based on how much good they will cause. For example: if the US realized that by staying they were simply delaying an inevitable internal conflict and during this delay many people will die needlessly and huge expenses will be passed on to future americans, then they need to leave. You can't be obligated to fix something you can't fix even if you were stupid enough to believe you could.

If I decide that you are not living your life correctly and I intervene. Tell you what to do, set up in your house, control your time and then realize one day that you are not improving and further realize that I shouldn't have been so presumptuous, then even though my leaving might return you to a lazy, or drug using, or violent life, I need to go.

...If I decide that you are not living your life correctly and I intervene. Tell you what to do, set up in your house, control your time and then realize one day that you are not improving and further realize that I shouldn't have been so presumptuous, then even though my leaving might return you to a lazy, or drug using, or violent life, I need to go.

what if that person is the caregiver/breadwinner to a whole entire family. Walking away from that person condemns the whole family. Should you try and help them?

If I decide that you are not living your life correctly and I intervene. Tell you what to do, set up in your house, control your time and then realize one day that you are not improving and further realize that I shouldn't have been so presumptuous, then even though my leaving might return you to a lazy, or drug using, or violent life, I need to go.

Interesting. From that, I would take it that you think the New York City police should pull out of New York City altogether? And LAPD should pull out of Los Angeles?

Hmm, in fact, I can't think of any large city in the world where, using your ideals, the police shouldn't just pack up and leave.

Baron Max

Interesting. From that, I would take it that you think the New York City police should pull out of New York City altogether? And LAPD should pull out of Los Angeles?

Hmm, in fact, I can't think of any large city in the world where, using your ideals, the police shouldn't just pack up and leave.

Baron Max

1) I know you are intelligent enough to reread what I wrote and see my arguement does not necessarily mean I agree with what you wrote.
2) Police do not MOVE INTO OUR HOUSES AND SET UP SHOP.
3) Police are hired by members of a group to monitor and control the members of that group. They are members of that group themselves. If a majority of the people in New YOrk decided that the powers or role of the police should be different, it would become different. If that is not the case, then, yes, the situation is similar. (Certainly there have been situations which are similar to the occupation of Iraq with police here. Go back 50 years and it was primarily white cops who policed black neighborhoods and racism was clearly systemic. That was very much an outsider situation. The people who were being policed were not represented and their rights were systematically violated.)
4) The situations are not the same. The situation between the two kinds of Muslims in Iraq is not mirrored here. Your argument is comparing apples and chairs.

The odd thing is I know you agree in relation to yourself. Let's say I actually knew more about nutrition than you and I decided to prolong your life and improve the quality of it and I moved into your house and at gunpoint enforced my views. You actually did get healthier in some ways. Somehow, Max, I suspect that you would not give a shit about my 'success' you would want me out. And if I fell asleep at the wrong time, I will just bet I would end up on the wrong end of, at the very least, a baseball bat.

To parallel the Iraq occupation. my intervention would also cause you stress and reduce the quality of your life, especially from your perspective.

Baron Max

Sure they should pull out if they are invaders. What a bizzare perspective of equivalence you have. Occupying armies have the status of the police in your town?

hint: the police in New York are not foreign invaders from Iraq. They don't speak only Arabic. They don't go house to house kicking doors down without warrants and haul men away for 'interrogation'.

The problem is that in defending Iraq from itself, we would have to control the population to such a great extent that it would be unethical to do so. I feel this isn't even possible for a nation such as ours. Perhaps Nazi Germany could do it at the peak of their power.

The problem is that in defending Iraq from itself, we would have to control the population to such a great extent that it would be unethical to do so. I feel this isn't even possible for a nation such as ours. Perhaps Nazi Germany could do it at the peak of their power.

Or Saddam; the latest news is that "democracy" is not a viable option for Iraq; the Iraqi government disagrees. They believe they should at least be able to regulate their own army (controlled by US army) and intelligence (controlled by CIA) before any such decision is reached.

But of course, no one is interested in what the Iraqis think.

Yes they would rather not be run by the U.S, no matter what. Even the Kurds would like this.
And how do you know this to be the case? Have you surveyed the population? I seriously doubt a majority wants us to leave before the situation is stabilized. Especially not the Kurds, who we have been defending since the first Gulf War!

Are you sure they are thier to defend iraqis?? I think of all those poor children watching thier parents being killed and left orphans or the children being attacked. The senseless violence and the taking of others loved ones from them.

In addition to the 320 substantiated incidents, the records contain material related to more than 500 alleged atrocities that Army investigators could not prove or that they discounted.

Johns says many war crimes did not make it into the archive. Some were prosecuted without being identified as war crimes, as required by military regulations. Others were never reported.

In a letter to Westmoreland in 1970, an anonymous sergeant described widespread, unreported killings of civilians by members of the 9th Infantry Division in the Mekong Delta — and blamed pressure from superiors to generate high body counts.

"A batalion [sic] would kill maybe 15 to 20 [civilians] a day. With 4 batalions in the brigade that would be maybe 40 to 50 a day or 1200 to 1500 a month, easy," the unnamed sergeant wrote. "If I am only 10% right, and believe me it's lots more, then I am trying to tell you about 120-150 murders, or a My Lay [sic] each month for over a year."

Abuses were not confined to a few rogue units, a Times review of the files found. They were uncovered in every Army division that operated in Vietnam.

Retired Brig. Gen. John H. Johns, a Vietnam veteran who served on the task force, says he once supported keeping the records secret but now believes they deserve wide attention in light of alleged attacks on civilians and abuse of prisoners in Iraq.

"We can't change current practices unless we acknowledge the past," says Johns, 78

So Jamie Henry, a 20-year-old medic, set his rifle down in a hut, unfastened his bandoliers and lighted a cigarette.

Just then, the voice of a lieutenant crackled across the radio. He reported that he had rounded up 19 civilians, and wanted to know what to do with them. Henry later recalled the company commander's response:

Kill anything that moves.

Henry stepped outside the hut and saw a small crowd of women and children. Then the shooting began.

Moments later, the 19 villagers lay dead or dying

In the fall of 1967, he was on his first patrol, marching along the edge of a rice paddy in Quang Nam province, when the soldiers encountered a teenage girl.

"The guy in the lead immediately stops her and puts his hand down her pants," Henry said. "I just thought, 'My God, what's going on?' "

A day or two later, he saw soldiers senselessly stabbing a pig.

"I talked to them about it, and they told me if I wanted to live very long, I should shut my mouth," he told Army investigators.

Henry may have kept his mouth shut, but he kept his eyes and ears open.

On Oct. 8, 1967, after a firefight near Chu Lai, members of his company spotted a 12-year-old boy out in a rainstorm. He was unarmed and clad only in shorts.

"Somebody caught him up on a hill, and they brought him down and the lieutenant asked who wanted to kill him," Henry told investigators.

Two volunteers stepped forward. One kicked the boy in the stomach. The other took him behind a rock and shot him, according to Henry's statement. They tossed his body in a river and reported him as an enemy combatant killed in action

war crimes allegations investigated by the Army -- including the rape and fatal stabbing of a 13-year-old girl and the brutal killing of a 15-year-old boy. Yet, Ybarra's notorious reputation may well pale in comparison to that of Sergeant Roy E. "the Bummer" Bumgarner, a soldier who served with the 1st Cavalry Division and later the 173d Airborne Brigade. According to a former commander, "the Bummer" was rumored to have "personally killed over 1,500 people" during a forty-two week stretch in Vietnam. Even if the number was exaggerated, clues on how Bumgarner may have obtained high "body counts" came to light in the course of an Army criminal investigation of an incident that took place on February 25, 1969. According to investigation documents, Bumgarner and a subordinate rounded up three civilians found working in a rice paddy, marched them to a secluded area and murdered them. "The Bummer" then arranged the bodies on the ground with their heads together and a grenade was exploded next to them in an attempt to cover-up their crime. Assorted weapons were then planted near the mutilated corpses to make them appear to have been enemy troops.

During an Army criminal investigation of the incident, men in Bumgarner's unit told investigators that they had heard rumors of the sergeant carrying out similar acts in the past. Said one soldier in a sworn statement to Army investigators:

"I've heard of Bumgarner doing it before -- planting weapons on bodies when there is doubt as to their military status. I've heard quite a few rumors about Bumgarner killing unarmed people. Only a couple weeks ago I heard that Bumgarner had killed a Vietnamese girl and two younger kids (boys), who didn't have any weapons."

Unlike Sam Ybarra, who had been discharged from the military by the time the allegations against him came to light and then refused to cooperate with investigators, "the Bummer" was charged with premeditated murder and tried by general court martial. He was convicted only of manslaughter and his punishment consisted merely of a demotion in rank and a fine of $97 a month for six months. Moreover, after six months, Bumgarner promptly re-enlisted in the Army. His first and only choice of assignments -- Vietnam. Records indicate he got his wish!

Military records demonstrate that the "Tiger Force" atrocities are only the tip of a vast submerged history of atrocities in Vietnam. In fact, while most atrocities were likely never chronicled or reported.

Yeah, you're so cool and honorable with those big fucking guns. More like disgusting!

Last edited:
The question assumes that (a) Iraq can be fixed, (b) that the United States is capable of effecting that fix and (c) that the U.S. can do it at a lower cost to the people of that country than they (or others could).

If I throw a baseball at your house and it breaks a window and kills your dog, so I have an ethical duty to bring your dog back to life? No, because that's not possible. Do I have a duty to personally fix the window? No, because I am not a glazer and would not do a good job fixing the window myself. I may have a duty to pay for a craftsman to come fix your window and to pay to have your dog buried and to compensate you for his loss, but that's somewhat different from the rule being espoused.

The ethical duty, once you've caused a harm, imo, is to do as much as reasonably possible (you do not, ethically, have to bankrupt yourself) to put the aggrieved party into at least as good a position he would have been in had you not harmed him, or as close to it as you can under the circumstances.

In this case, the Iraqi people were not in that good a position before we came along. Even with all that has happened and is happening, there is an argument to be made that they are better off now than they were under Saddam...so have we "damaged" them? Second, even assuming the strife is net damage that requires our attention, we have no way to fix it. Arguably again, our involvement may well malke the situation worse given the number of people in Iraq who do not want us there. The insurgency is simmering now and may boil over once we leave...but if we stay 10 years the insurgency may continue to simmer all that time (and still boil over when we leave). The discounted present cost to the Iraqi people could be lower if we leave in the next year than if we stay for 20. (and that ignores the costs to us).

I understand the "you break it, you fix it" point, but the situation in Iraq is too complicated to just assume that our remaining there will fix it. (Not that I would argue for a precipitous withdrawal either, but rather that in the face of the ambiguous ethical question of what we "owe" the Iraqis, I feel better about making decisions based on what is in our best interests. That calculation is also murky, but I find it easier to grasp than the alternate question.)

Back