Does the brain use a code? If so. . .

strategicman

Registered Senior Member
Hi everyone,
This has been stumping me for a while, but I'm pretty sure about the first question. The second question, I have no clue:

1.Does the brain use a code? Is it binary, or some other kind we may not have thought of?

2.If the brain uses a code, and if we could do experiments to decode this code, then couldn't we decode it with a computer, or even send the brain (or muscles) a code from the computer to make it do something?

3.If there is a code, is it different for each person? Could this maybe someday be used as a bio-identity tool?

4.The last question: I once heard that brainwaves to the muscles travel much like an FM frequency. Is this true?

Thanks for all your help!

-strategicman:D

Originally posted by strategicman

3.If there is a code, is it different for each person? Could this maybe someday be used as a bio-identity tool?

One persons brain activity make up is vastly different than another persons...so much so that it puts fingerprints difference to shame.

The human brain is analog and does no have a set code like digital, instead it about the likelihood of a neuron firing and what kind of endorphins are used.

oh, duh ::smacks forehead:: of course it would be analog. lol. I wasn't thinking. They use different frequencies to control the muscles too. But I have one more question:

1.How does the brain send the signal to a certain muscle? Or does it send it throughout the whole body but with an identification that should match a certain muscle's indentification. This seems pretty far-fetched, but I'm just trying to learn.

I am not a neurologist but neurons seem to work out that order some how in the cortex, a map of the cortex show that sections of the brain surface control and feel for different parts of the body, I'll try to find a pic of this.

Yeah, I saw a movie at school on that, but the cortex is in the brain, and unless there are specific wires connecting the muscle to the brain through the spinal cord, then there would have to be some way each muscle recongnizes its command being sent to it. I think the spinal cord is just one big wire, so there would have to be some sort of system I was talking about. Maybe each muscle has a certain "voltage" or "ampere" to listen to, and the corresponding muscle spot on the cortex would send that voltage or amp. I'm not really sure, and that's just a guess, so if you have any other guesses, just say them. :D

keep in mind that the difference between digital and analog is a question of scope. it all comes down to the presence of quanta eventually.

So refine your digital device enough, and you have what amounts to an analog device.

as for how the brain works:
from what I can remember: an electrical signal is set off in the brain )I forget how). the signal travels the length of the nerve cell, at which point it trigers a chemical reactions which releases high amounts of calcium out the far end of the nerve cell. the next nerve cell in line recieves wash of calcium via diffusion, and this sets off an electrical signal, which passes down it's length, and sets off a release of calcium. etc, etc, all the way down, one by one, untill the signal reaches the muscle in question. Given that each nueron is connected to a number of others, how the correct next neuron is fired is an interesting question. possible a code in the electrical frequency? or the amplitude? maybe the calcium level creates the electrical frequency, which in turn creates a similar calcium level?

A better brain than mine wrote this up:
http://www.brainexplorer.org/neurological_control/Neurological_Synaptic_signal.shtml

Back