Does racial mixing alter potential of offspring?

S

Sickpuppy

Just something I have intrest in wanted to see some intelligent thoughts on this. anyone?

From a sociology standpoint it could.
If the child was born into a society that shuns race mixing, I am sure it would be harder for the child to have success in that society, hence lowering its potential.

Well from a genetic standpoint it lessens the likelyhood of recessive traits. Most "defects" are recessive so at least one would think it would at least have fewer health problems in general.

recessive disorders: -

Cystic fibrosis
Tay-Sachs disease
Chronic granulomatous disease
Thalassemia
Bloom's Syndrome
Alpha 1-antitrypsin deficiency
Haemochromatosis types 1-3
Wilson's disease
Most types of Mucopolysaccharidosis
Most Glycogen storage diseases
Homocystinuria
Congenital adrenal hyperplasia
Dubin-Johnson syndrome
Fanconi anemia
Galactosemia
Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency
Phenylketonuria
Albinism
Rotor syndrome
Familial Mediterranean fever
Pendred syndrome
Certain forms of Spinal muscular atrophy
Xeroderma pigmentosum
Friedreich's ataxia
Fanconi anaemia

I know some are related to a specific race. Tay-Sachs (jewish), Sickle Cell (black), I wonder what plain ol white people mainly have. Albinism?

Nope, surprisingly(or not) there are many cases of Albinism in Africa(with all the stygma you could imagine).

The estimated frequency of OCA2(type of Albinism) among African-Americans is 1 in 10,000, which contrasts with a frequency of 1 in 36,000 in white Americans.

I don't really know of any, there is probably some they are more prone to. I know a few gene dominant ones(dominant trait - negative bad traits). Like Marfan syndrome.

I know some are related to a specific race. Tay-Sachs (jewish), Sickle Cell (black), I wonder what plain ol white people mainly have. Albinism?
I'm not sure those are race specific. Link?

Sickle-cell has characteristics of incomplete dominance, which means if you have one normal allele, and one 'defective' allele, you show both phenotypes. This is actually selected for, in some parts of Africa and other areas where malaria persists, because the red blood cells in sickle-cell sufferers inhibit the effectiveness of the parasite that causes malaria (Plasmodium spp.). However, if both alleles are defective, you will have a short, rather uncomfortable life. If you have both normal alleles, then you have to fight off malaria, potentially.

That does not mean that they are "race specific", nor are they exclusive to those groups of people. There is a higher incidence, yes, but they are not specific to those groups only.

I already explained why sickle-cell anemia is thought to persist some African populations. I think the reason (if I recall from genetics) for the high incidence of Tay-Sachs is that the Askhenazi Jewish population because they are quite segregated as a people, and have a relatively small gene pool.

That does not mean that they are "race specific", nor are they exclusive to those groups of people. There is a higher incidence, yes, but they are not specific to those groups only.....

Oh My Gosh!!! You're right!!! Thank you for clarifying what I meant. I shouldn't have said 'exclusively'...oh wait I didn't. I shouldn't have said 'only'...oh wait, I didn't.

Back