Does IMUS work for BET now?

§outh§tar

is feeling caustic
Registered Senior Member
I was watching BET earlier this afternoon (shows you how braindead bored I was), and no less than 15 seconds after I had turned to it, this came on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN2VqFPNS8w

After the Imus thing, I find it inexplicable that the Black Entertainment Television would show that. Is it entertainment? I mean.. what the fuck? The profanities are hardly bleeped out, any "nigga" could figure out what the voice is singing and I know plenty of (black) kids on summer holiday are going to be tuned to BET watching music videos of their favorite rap stars in the club blaring their diamond teeth as scantily clad women dance provocatively for the camera.

But what the fuck is the point of showing this during the daytime? Is this the smoking gun that forces "blacks" to be as accountable as some have accused them of not being?

A google search for "BET read a book video" shows that I'm not the only one scratching my head. The only word I can think of for this video is inexplicable.

EDIT: On any other television channel, the airing of this even at 3 am in the morning would have caused heads to roll for the next week due to the "national outrage" and we would have Oprah and Barack and George Clooney denouncing it.

I *think* this particular video was intended as positive. It appears to be taking an absurd jab at the usual messages in rap music. It also appears to be racist, profane, and insulting.

After clicking your link, I did a bit of research to make sure it wasn't the modern day incarnation of the Black Panther coloring book. From the looks of it, the author (D'Mite) appears to be one of those "east coast" artsy poetic types.......which I guess proves he is either a very convincing cointelpro agent, or one of those 'fame by way of shock" artists.

Here's his website and myspace:
http://notarapper.com/base.htm
http://www.myspace.com/knotarapper

I saw this through Stumbleupon a long time ago. I tempted to post it here, but I figured someone else would.

I think it's hilarious. It's obviously making fun of blacks. But I wonder if blacks, on the whole, will find it funny too.

As near as I can tell, the reason BET is running the video at all is because someone down there thinks there's a segment of the black population that needs to hear the song and see the video. Bomani Armah (D'Mite) is well-respected on the D.C. scene, to the point that he performed with protege Chris Bacon and the Urban Nation HIP-HOP Choir at the Martin Luther King, Jr. Day celebration at the Washington National Cathedral.

Frankly, I'm a little surprised that people can't tell the difference.

Start with a very simple idea: "Nobody gets to rip on my family but me." Seriously, siblings who have only venom for one another at home will fight each for the other if someone else crosses the line. That's the first thing.

Secondly, it comes down to something I've been harping on lately: good faith. Is this really a foreign concept? His target audience will actually respond to the caricatures in the video, and will actually respond to the searing criticism. Consider an article from the Washington Post covering the MLK celebration at the Cathedral:

The choir was created by Black Entertainment Television co-founder Sheila Johnson "to counterbalance what we were doing with the TV station," which became known for featuring sex and gang activity. Johnson, who no longer owns the station, says the music is "not positive" and "just not healthy."

Which is what Armah hopes to counterbalance, too. He is 28, grew up in Mitchellville and has spent the years since graduating from the University of Maryland working on "positive rap" -- a goopy-sounding term that nonetheless is fiercely based in reality.

When he does music programs with students, he mentions that, in the hip-hop world, seven of the top 10 artists will be gangbangers or drug dealers. He'll ask the kids, "Are seven out of every 10 of the people you know gangbangers or drug dealers?"

No, he says they answer. But when those same kids start making music for him -- though they may have just been talking about going to medical school -- when they start rapping, it's: "I'm gonna get a gun, and I'm gonna shoot you."

As he leans over the mixing board in his recording studio off Georgia Avenue, Armah narrows his eyes. "Why does it have to be that way?"
(Johnson)

In the first place, there is a difference between a black man aiming at black youth in an effort to create a positive vibe, and a racist aiming at black youth because he enjoys giving shit. Secondly, it seems weird that in an age when many people from the backwater white dolt on up to Bill Cosby are complaining about a lack of positive attitudes in black youth culture that people should so absolutely miss the point when someone steps up. When it's a black man telling black youth it's okay to not be gangstas, the target audience will respond well. When it's some moron telling the niggers this is all they'll ever be worth, the effect isn't the same.

If we insist on defining what we see according solely to our own eyes, we will miss a tremendous portion of the art put before us. While audience perception is vital to almost any art, it is not the whole of the artistic experience. Refusing to give the artist his voice in any particular work reduces the function of art to silence.

As bizarre as the song and video seems, it certainly falls into context if we give D'Mite his due. Check the website if you haven't. The featured audio tracks range between "doesn't suck" and good. The video for "The Hustle" is ... well, it is what it is. But the actual song "The Hustle" is amazing. It sounds clean as hell and is completely unpretentious. Well, okay. There's the "priceless" bit, but I'll forgive that.

It would seem that what BET is doing airing this video is trying to salvage some of its own damaged credibility. Comparing this to Imus is cruel and ignorant, just like Imus.

Think for a minute of the heavy metal fights in the 1980s, when the censors had metalheads in the crosshairs. Anthrax crucified Tipper Gore and Susan Baker in an absolutely profane and hilarious song. Twisted Sister made the point as clearly as possible: "I don't curse; well, just a bit. Somehow 'gee whiz' and 'golly' don't cut it." Sometimes you do, in fact, need to get in people's faces to make sure you have their attention. And there is a lot on the line. 2 Live had the right to be as nasty as they wanted, and I was glad they made a point of it because it not only took the heat off the metalheads, but also passed out the hammers and nails.

It's not about "fame by the way of shock". It's more about, "Hey! Do I have your freakin' attention, yet?"

And this time it's not just about self-indulgent art and speech. This time, the stakes are much greater. This is the sort of thing that deserves the community's support. The guy has my attention. Too bad he couldn't hold onto yours.

Notes:

Johnson, Darragh. "Where Hope Meets Hip-Hop". Washington Post, January 15, 2007; page B01. See http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/14/AR2007011401089.html

Back