Does emotional dialogue make you uncomfortable?

heliocentric

Registered Senior Member
I think for alot of people it does,
We live in an age of reason and logic where (for the most part) scientific equiry is our principle means of probing our external reality.
The rhetoric of science and rationality atempts to remove emotion from the equation altogether. It relies instead on factual verbal language and the emotionally neutral symbol-language of mathematics.
While i dont have any problems with the temporary removal of emotion as it relates to these flourishing paradigms i cant help but notice that human interaction which lies outside of science seems to be rapidly choosing to immitate this emotionally mute form of interaction as well.
The age of reason has made up believe that to engage with our emotions makes us devoid of reason altogether!
I believe this is a problem since emotions tell us alot about our external and internal reality and are essential not only our own welfare but the welfare of everyone and everything else.
Emotions should not be treated with embrassement they should be cherished as part of what makes us 'us', everybit as our rationality.

Are emotions embarrassing? if you believe they are; to you or to others, do you disagree with what ive outlined as the root cause of this embarrassment?
Lets talk <3

We live in an age of reason and logic where (for the most part) scientific equiry is our principle means of probing our external reality.
The rhetoric of science and rationality atempts to remove emotion from the equation altogether. It relies instead on factual verbal language and the emotionally neutral symbol-language of mathematics.
While i dont have any problems with the temporary removal of emotion as it relates to these flourishing paradigms i cant help but notice that human interaction which lies outside of science seems to be rapidly choosing to immitate this emotionally mute form of interaction as well.
The age of reason has made up believe that to engage with our emotions makes us devoid of reason altogether!
I believe this is a problem since emotions tell us alot about our external and internal reality and are essential not only our own welfare but the welfare of everyone and everything else.
Emotions should not be treated with embrassement they should be cherished as part of what makes us 'us', everybit as our rationality.

Are emotions embarrassing? if you believe they are; to you or to others, do you disagree with what ive outlined as the root cause of this embarrassment?
Lets talk <3

Thats the mistake people make.

I disagree with you, I think we are too emotional to survive as a species.
Why? Because we are not emotionally balanced, we have more negative emotions than positive. Some emotions are completely irrational too.

Lets talk <3

This is silly, being embarrassed is an emotion. Just about anything that motivates you is emotional. I think the issue is being confused for something else. Historically humans have used a combination of emotion and rational thought to determine what is 'true' (with emotion being quite dominant). The process of science has shown us that what 'feels' true has a great probability of not being true; hence emotion is discouraged as a dominant tool for interpreting what is true.

Youre right crunchy cat, being embarrassed about your own emotions is silly, which is my whole point.
Now you and me both obviously know that emotions and logic feed into each, this is how humanbeings really work, this how science really works. But a good deal of people (i have noticed) assume something else entirely, that rationalism is founded in the self-denial of emotion.

Of course i may be wrong on the some of those causes, but im certain that people are embarrassed by their emotional selves either way.

Thats the mistake people make.
With all due respect i think youre falling for the greatest lie/fable of modern times - emotions are holding us back, when can we all become robots! :eek:

Emotions arnt some meddlesome aspect of ourselves thats preventing us from our full potentional.
Emotions arnt our enemy - they regulate our internal and external environment, we would very litterally be lost without them.

I disagree with you, I think we are too emotional to survive as a species.
Why? Because we are not emotionally balanced, we have more negative emotions than positive. Some emotions are completely irrational too.
We've survived for millions of years with emotions, they have a proven track record, to suggest that we might survive or even be a species worth anything atall without emotions sounds like a huge leap of faith to me.
We simply dont know how wed survive without emotions, id actually argue that it would be impossible to extract emotion from a human being, since our emotions are woven into our rationality, it feeds into all aspects of ourselves rather than being a distinct part of us that can be objectively measured and seperated.

Most people have emotions, but speaking from an autistic perspective, they can sometimes be very hard to understand and communicate. I don't think the area of science, which values rationality, is devoid of emotion. Just watch Carl Sagan's Cosmos series.

Most people have emotions, but speaking from an autistic perspective, they can sometimes be very hard to understand and communicate. I don't think the area of science, which values rationality, is devoid of emotion. Just watch Carl Sagan's Cosmos series.
Im not saying science is entirely devoid of emotion - see my reply to crunchycat. ;)

Back