Does drinking carbonated beverages increase resperatory rate?

Tortise

Registered Senior Member
Does drinking carbonated drinks increase resperatory rate?

C02 is absorbed into the blood stream, the resperatory feedback system is C02 dependent. It follows that resperatory rate would increase, and therefore would also increase 02 levels as a result of the increased resperation.

Hmmm...possible. But I would think that most of the CO2 is lost in belching.

I also do not recall where the CO2 is checked by the body, whether in the blood stream or elsewhere.

I also do not recall where the CO2 is checked by the body, whether in the blood stream or elsewhere.

If I'm not mistaken, our body moniters c02 and not oxygen - it is what gives us the desire to breath when we hold our breath ect. -
c02 is what makes champange work so fast, because it is absorbed into our blood so quickly - taking the alcohol with it. Prob. it increases the total amount of vapor pressure in the upper digestive tract.

Last edited:
I think you might be right - I found this on the web:

Control of Ventilation by PO2, PCO2, and H+ Concentration
Control by P02 and PC02

Peripheral chemoreceptors called carotid bodies and aortic bodies are in close contact with arterial blood and are stimulated by a steep decrease in arterial PO2 and an increase in H+ concentration. They give inputs to medulla.
Control by H+ not due to CO2
Lactic acid in exercising muscles can cause metabolic acidosis or metabolic alkalosis, changing H+ concentration and stimulating peripheral chemoreceptors.

Control of Ventilation during Exercise
Blood PCO2, PO2, and H+ concentration due to CO2 do no change much during exercise due to compensatory hyperventilation. Change in H+ concentration due to lactic acid, input from mechanoreceptors in joints and muscles, increase in body temperature, increase in plasma epinephrine, etc. play important roles in stimulating ventilation.

Back