Does A Magnet Imply The Existence Of An Aether Field?

munty13

Registered Senior Member
File:Magnet0873.png

Just wondered if any one else feels that a bar magnet sprinkled with iron filings, looks like it was floating on something. Try not to get drawn in by the magnetic lines of flux that we use in diagrams, I mean take a good long look at the lines of force presented by the iron filings. It looks like an iron bar in a bathtub of treacle!

Doesn't the idea that a magnet is creating tensions in the fluid of the aether field make more sense than the current explanation that an object simply exhibits a magnetic field? Indeed, an aether fluid would go a long way in explaining the mechanics behind everything in the universe.

This is not a new idea. The aether has been known for thousands of years. Maxwell understood magnetism as a pressure and/or tension in a fluid medium. His equations are based on the mechanics of an aether. Why do we resist looking at magnetism this way?

Some explain the magnetic field as lines of force generated by the movement of positive and negative charges. The magnetic field of a bar magnet is present in a vacuum - the electric field is not (though I believe this state is referred to as an electrostatic field). Electricity cannot flow in a pure vacuum, yet we are taught charges move in a vacuum.

Does it make more sense to say that the vacuum itself is the electrostatic field? What if the vacuum already exists as a stationary electric fluid - that is until it is forcefully induced to move by atomic matter?

why a fluid instead of a solid? fluids cant resist tension.
electric fields exist perfectly well in a vacuum.
charged particles move perfectly well in a vacuum once you get them there.

einstein stated that spacetime could be thought of as a kind of ether. it is the medium that light moves through. but it isnt made of 'ponderable material' like atoms or nuetrons.

why a fluid instead of a solid? fluids cant resist tension.
electric fields exist perfectly well in a vacuum.
charged particles move perfectly well in a vacuum once you get them there.

That's the thing - if charged particles move in a vacuum, it's simply not a pure vacuum. In other words, a magnetic field does not exist without matter. Therefore, matter creates stress in the aether. We see these tensions as a magnetic field.

Electricity does not flow in a vacuum. Electricity will travel through the glass of the vacuum tube before it passses through a pure vacuum. Textbooks tell us electricity is a form of EMR, but EMR propagates through a vacuum. Therefore electricity, as we know it, is not a form of EMR but something else.

Heat and sound do not travel through a vacuum. Sound is a longitudinal wave. Is electricity a longitudinal wave? Is the electric field the sea to which these waves belong?

einstein stated that spacetime could be thought of as a kind of ether. it is the medium that light moves through. but it isnt made of 'ponderable material' like atoms or nuetrons.

It's easy to swap the blanket of spacetime, for the blanket of the aether. It's just a case of imagining tensions in a rigid electric fluid, instead of tensions taking place in ...erm... nothing. It's also useful because we no longer have the albatross of time hanging around our necks. We now have energy in motion.

textbooks do not say that electricity is a form of eletromagnetic radiation (light). electricity is the flow of electrons. it can flow through a vacuum. I suggest you look up 'vacuum tubes'.

spacetime is not 'nothing'. it is definitely something. its just not made of 'ponderable matter' like atoms or neutrons.

textbooks do not say that electricity is a form of eletromagnetic radiation (light). electricity is the flow of electrons. it can flow through a vacuum. I suggest you look up 'vacuum tubes'.

spacetime is not 'nothing'. it is definitely something. its just not made of 'ponderable matter' like atoms or neutrons.

I've ripped this page from the web:

"An AC electric current is defined as the movement of electrons in roughly the same direction, usually through a wire. This current, in turn, produces two types of fields: an AC electric field and an AC magnetic field, which together are called an electromagnetic field. The AC electric fields result from the strength of the charge and the AC magnetic fields result from the motion of the charge (i.e., the flow of electrons comprising the electric current). The AC electric field represents the force that electric charges exert on other charges, and this force may either repel (as with two positive charges, for example) or attract. The AC magnetic field forms a closed continuous doughnut-shaped loop around the current and radiates at a right angle to the direction of the current."
http://www.megadisc.com.au/index_files/Page1634.htm

You're right, spacetime is not "nothing", it is something, perhaps then it is the incompressible fluid of aether.

I've ripped this page from the web:

"An AC electric current is defined as the movement of electrons in roughly the same direction, usually through a wire. This current, in turn, produces two types of fields: an AC electric field and an AC magnetic field, which together are called an electromagnetic field. The AC electric fields result from the strength of the charge and the AC magnetic fields result from the motion of the charge (i.e., the flow of electrons comprising the electric current). The AC electric field represents the force that electric charges exert on other charges, and this force may either repel (as with two positive charges, for example) or attract. The AC magnetic field forms a closed continuous doughnut-shaped loop around the current and radiates at a right angle to the direction of the current."
http://www.megadisc.com.au/index_files/Page1634.htm

You're right, spacetime is not "nothing", it is something, perhaps then it is the incompressible fluid of aether.

However, radiowaves do travel through a vacuum. Apparently, electric and magnetic fields oscillate even in a vacuum, BUT "electricity" does not. Electricity needs matter. Therefore, I suggest electricity has to be induced from the aether by conductors. I believe Tesla called it "electrostatic induction" and Maxwell a "displacement current".

You can hear the hum of a 50Hz AC supply - it is caused by mechanical vibrations. If the conductor has a high resistance to the current, you will also get heat. You cannot hear an EM wave because it is not a mechanical vibration. However, EM waves can and do cause currents in conductors, these currents can induce mechanical vibrations which can be heard.

You won't find heat in a vacuum either. You'll find infrared EMR, but you won't find "heat", until you add matter, or basically something you can warm up. Infrared induces mechanical vibrations between molecules.

So it appears all EMR is invisible until it is induced by matter. It is only because the eye is sensitive to certain wavelengths that we are able to "see" visible light. Can I be so bold to summise then, that EMR is simply the aether oscillating - oscillations which are both transmitted and recieved by matter?

Does this mean that electricity can be propagated through a vacuum as an invisible wavelength of EMR?

So it appears all EMR is invisible until it is induced by matter. It is only because the eye is sensitive to certain wavelengths that we are able to "see" visible light. Can I be so bold to summise then, that EMR is simply the aether oscillating - oscillations which are both transmitted and recieved by matter?

Does this mean that electricity can be propagated through a vacuum as an invisible wavelength of EMR?

Which reminds me - you don't see the invisible magnetic field which surrounds a magnet until you sprinkle them with iron filings.

Last edited:
Back