Do we need to love people?

Saint

Valued Senior Member
As Jesus said: Love your neighbour as yourself.

Do we need to love ALL people?

Only if it serves some purpose, If we are talking about pure altruistic "love" than I don't see any possibility of that behavior occurring on a global scale.

As Jesus said: Love your neighbour as yourself.

Even Jesus didn't expect everyone to love everyone: he was hoping for basic, non-violent tolerance. The word 'love' can be understood in many ways, including a vulgar, carnal sense that involves no affection or respect and a theological sense that doesn't, either. He may have meant something like: See that the other guy is just like you, and bear with his imperfections.

The old Jewish Law said love your neighbor but hate your enemy. wile Jesus said love them as yourself., What a contrast

Unless you were a slave, in which case Jesus can tell you how to beat them. Luke 12:47

or this:

"But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me." Luke 19:27

Real nice son of a bitch.

Unless you were a slave, in which case Jesus can tell you how to beat them. Luke 12:47

or this:

"But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me." Luke 19:27

Real nice son of a bitch.

Please don't pick one sentence and make a judgment . Read the example to what that sentence pertain as a common speech in that time
luke 12 12 ---48 Metaphor for abusive leaders
45 But and if that servant say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; and shall begin to beat the menservants and maidens, and to eat and drink, and to be drunken;
46 The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers.
47 And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.
48 But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

This is a metaphor that people should work and be productive
Luke 19 15---27

They key to love is forgiveness, don't just love blindly, but see faith in redemption in others and yourself after understanding the whole gravity of the situation. And than yes love all. Are those people who have sinned have it in their heart to see the wrong of their ways? Everyone does...

What do you mean? I see marital love, written in the stars In Love. What is this love?

Saint, have you ever thought of going to a religion/bible forum and asking all these questions instead of a science forum??

Saint, have you ever thought of going to a religion/bible forum and asking all these questions instead of a science forum??

Without people like Saint, we would have Nazi cold science...all for the sake of science, no need for ethics.

Without people like Saint, we would have Nazi cold science...all for the sake of science, no need for ethics.

We have man made laws which we all use daily for the rule to govern by so that everyone can understand them and be changed if need be unlike religious law which mandates certain ways to handle everything with no exceptions.

We have man made laws which we all use daily for the rule to govern by so that everyone can understand them and be changed if need be unlike religious law which mandates certain ways to handle everything with no exceptions.

yeah sounds like your man-made laws created a much better than religious laws society, free of crime, drugs, violence, and etc. Obviously not the case.

Last edited:
well You've made an error in your first assumption. "Love your neighbor as yourself". What if you don't love yourself?

A lot of people don't. Or don't think they're capable of love or being loved. A lot of people despise themselves and their actions haha

And in this society, I think that the statement is more of a contradiction. When we think of our values: The love of self, is to be more selfish. To love others, is to be selfless. So they seem to be opposites. But not a contradiction, in the sense that we can't love our neighbors. but we'll never regard them to the same love/hate that we afford ourselves.

As Jesus said: Love your neighbor as yourself.

I think imo only you are supposed to. But it don't happen and I sure as the heck don't.

Back