Do we need more regulation on nanotechnology research?

ricardonest

Registered Senior Member
Just read an article on nanotechnology research and supposedly there's really no regulation for that sector of the science industry. Wondering what everyone's thought is on that? I'm all for advancements in science, but I've watched one too many sci-fi shows that related to nanotech and it doesn't seem prudent to not have some process in place.

If you're interested in checking out the article, here it is:
http://www.patexia.com/feed/1773

Nanotech can mean many things, not all of them dangerous, but in general I agree, these new materials aren't tested in any rigorous way on their biological effects.

At least it's practical threats that have now attracted concern, rather than the stereotypical menace from over two decades ago of Earth turning into "gray-goo" due to (still fantasy stage) self-replicating molecular machines.

rather than the stereotypical menace from over two decades ago of Earth turning into "gray-goo" due to (still fantasy stage) self-replicating molecular machines.

You mean kind of what it's like right now but with a different color?

Just read an article on nanotechnology research and supposedly there's really no regulation for that sector of the science industry.

I wouldn’t get too hung up on that opinion piece. The author doesn’t appear to be particularly scientifically/medically versed, as evidenced by her confusion of chemotherapy with radiotherapy. And I am suspicious of the motives given the prominent reference to a commercial company in the final paragraph.

Not that I disagree with the general premise – the risks associated with new scientific advances need to be properly managed. That’s a given. But the idea that scientists and administrators don’t know what they’re doing and that there are no safeguards in place is wrong. Nanomaterial research is no different to any other scientific endeavour; it proceeds on the basis of risk-benefit analyses.

On an anecdotal note, you would probably be amazed to see the ‘red tape’ and OH&S obstacles we had to satisfy in order to perform just a small nanotoxicity side project in the research division where I work.

I'd be more concerned with gene manipulation myself but do understand the concern that people would have with nanotechnology as well. Trying to legislate laws to govern the abilities of such technology when we don't even know what or where it will lead us is very hard if not impossible to do. It would be like trying to legislate atomic physics when it was being developed, just how when you don't know what it can achieve/destroy.:shrug:

Back