Do people have a right to not be offended?

Dark Pig

Registered Member
I was just reading that article about the jewish defense league attacking Will Smith for making a general comment regarding hitler not realising he was evil.
It turned out the comment couldn't possibly be construed as offensive, so they reluctantly withdrew their complaint.
But it had me thinking, what if it was offensive? Would "I am legend" be taken out of the cinemas if will smith said "hitler wasn't that bad IMO"?

Is it seriously illegal to make general statements which others might find offensive?
It seems rather absurd that even direct personal verbal abuse could be illegal, but general statements someone might find offensive? That is incredible, and simply impossible. I mean it's impossible that everyone could have this priviledge. There are too many varying and directly conflicting view points held by people on earth.
The priviledge would have to be exclusively afforded to a sacred sect with a particular set of views and sensibilities.
Which is extremely offensive in itself, when you think about it, to most people on earth.
But I guess we've decided their taking of offense is trivial?
They'll continue to say "I find that offensive, I am out of here", like people have always done, but this secret ruling class are now able to say "I find that offensive, take him away"?
It is a scary thought.

Back