Do atheists believe in heaven?

No, obviously atheists don't believe in heaven. The point of the thread that you linked to is that an atheist who treats people well is actually better than a Christian who treats people well, because the atheist is doing it without any expectation of eternal reward. That's pretty obvious if you read the thread's first post.

Mind you if i'm proved wrong and end up there, i would have a rant at whatever god was there , and complain like mad about there marketing department because they did a crappy job on selling it to me ;)

When my body is used up, that's it. Why should I want more?

Nasor said:
No, obviously atheists don't believe in heaven. The point of the thread that you linked to is that an atheist who treats people well is actually better than a Christian who treats people well, because the atheist is doing it without any expectation of eternal reward. That's pretty obvious if you read the thread's first post.

Yes, but why then go on to:

It seems that the selfish people in this equation — the religious — will in fact lose their spot in Heaven, while the true humanitarians — the Atheists — will take their spot.

-- This testifies of a belief in heaven!

Explain then why an atheist who supposedly does not believe in heaven, eventually believes that he will end up in heaven.

I like them as metaphors. I think they always referred to the here and now, but were misinterpreted. The kingdom of heaven is within. Hell is a world of our own making, like the world during WWII. So, heaven means the same sort of thing as utopia, as well as personal revelation. Hell means a distopia, as well as collective delusion.

Prester John: Damn, we've been rumbled!
M*W: So, are you saying there is no god?

in order rosa, for a atheist, to get a xian to understand, we have to first but it in very simple terms, so they are able to follow it, this in no way means we believe in heaven.
when athelwulf stated this,
"It seems that the selfish people in this equation — the religious — will in fact lose their spot in Heaven, while the true humanitarians — the Atheists — will take their spot".
it was to make it clear that if there was a heaven, we would be more worthy of being there, not that it actually existed.
how you could not see that, surprises me.

I don't "believe" in heaven, but I think atheists are more worthy of it, since they don't (or might not) have any preconcieved notions about it. Our attitude towards God is also more appropriately religious for the same reason, we are pure, innocent, and believe what we see, not what people tell us so we are less corruptable, like a newborn baby.

the preacher said:
in order rosa, for a atheist, to get a xian to understand, we have to first but it in very simple terms, so they are able to follow it, this in no way means we believe in heaven.
"It seems that the selfish people in this equation — the religious — will in fact lose their spot in Heaven, while the true humanitarians — the Atheists — will take their spot".
it was to make it clear that if there was a heaven, we would be more worthy of being there, not that it actually existed.

how convenient to call yourselves "more worthy"! I wonder what magically arbitrary stick was whipped out to make that measurement.

southstar:
if you read athelwulfs thread "Atheists: Most deserving of Heaven?".
being more worthy is what the whole premis is about, the measurement can be found on, the opening post of that thread also, I was only trying to get rosa to understand that premis.
please feel free, to try to contradict, this reasoning.

......there is nothing wrong with athiest in my beliefs, they have every right to percieve their surroundings as any other religion does of theirs.
Athiest probably see a more physical evolutionary being instead of the otherwise critically acclaimed spiritual being.

I respect athiests point of views, but if it was to conflict into an negative eventuality, especially within my own, I would have to say I disagree.

Medicine Woman said:
Prester John: Damn, we've been rumbled!
M*W: So, are you saying there is no god?

I assume you are refering to the Judeo Christian god, indeed he is mythical, rather like the aztec, egytptian, norse and all the other various gods.

I believe in the God of Forums and he's going to be very angry that another thread got started on practically the same subject as an existing one! We're all doomed to Forum Hell!

Gambit Star said:
......there is nothing wrong with athiest in my beliefs, they have every right to percieve their surroundings as any other religion does of theirs.
Athiest probably see a more physical evolutionary being instead of the otherwise critically acclaimed spiritual being.
As any other religion?
LOL - Since when is Atheism a religion?

My understanding of atheists is that they do not believe in ANY god - whether your critically acclaimed spiritual being or any physical being.

Prester John: I assume you are refering to the Judeo Christian god, indeed he is mythical, rather like the aztec, egytptian, norse and all the other various gods.
M*W: Whatever made me think you were xian?

spidergoat said:
I like them as metaphors. I think they always referred to the here and now, but were misinterpreted. The kingdom of heaven is within. Hell is a world of our own making, like the world during WWII. So, heaven means the same sort of thing as utopia, as well as personal revelation. Hell means a distopia, as well as collective delusion.

I can see very well what you mean. But if we go for the "it's all a metaphor" approach, then we also relativize the meaning of heaven. How can one take such a relativized heaven seriously?

the preacher said:

No, Athelwulf's post does not operate with an "if", it says *will*.

spidergoat said:
I don't "believe" in heaven, but I think atheists are more worthy of it, since they don't (or might not) have any preconcieved notions about it. Our attitude towards God is also more appropriately religious for the same reason, we are pure, innocent, and believe what we see, not what people tell us so we are less corruptable, like a newborn baby.

I disagree.
As far as I can tell, you are arguing for an, how should I put it, "absolute and universal God" -- but even that is just an inductive abstraction made from what we know about the notions of God from individual religions. As such, that "absolute and universal God" is yet another preconceived notion.

"and believe what we see, not what people tell us " -- this is just a cop out. We cannot but believe what someone told us, in some way. Atheists believe what atheists before them told them.

"we are pure, innocent" -- you are angels, or what?

Back