DNA Polymerase Speed??

mikeinohio

Registered Member
:confused: How fast does DNA Polymerase work? I'm in the 9th grade studying Biology and I was wondering. All I can find for now on the Internet is how fast DNA computers work, but not the Polymerase itself. Any help would be very appriciated, thanks. -Mike In Ohio

It really depends on the cell or the species. There isn't exactly a set time, but what you should know is that something called "cyclins" governs the process. It's actaully quite interesting.

Oh wait, polymerase...nevermind then, I'm confusing something else. DNA polymerase, - as in the machine process of copying DNA takes about five hours.

Good luck with your project.

Cool, I found some stuff on E. coli, which said it worked at about 375 mph, which is wicked fast. I'm interested in how fast it works in humans. Anyone know?

what do you mean five hours?

polymerase is fast

in E. coli (a bacterium) it goes up to 1000 bp (basepairs) per second. Apparently it is slower in eukaryotes

edit:
"Eukaryotes

The average human chromosome contains 150 x 106 nucleotide pairs which are copied at about 50 base pairs per second. The process would take a month (rather than the hour it actually does) but for the fact that there are many places on the eukaryotic chromosome where replication can begin. Replication begins at some replication origins earlier in S phase than at others, but the process is completed for all by the end of S phase. As replication nears completion, "bubbles" of newly replicated DNA meet and fuse, finally forming two new molecules. "
from link

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your input. I've actually found something online now. In E. coli, it works at about 375 mph, and makes a mistake every 200 billion base codes or something like that. It also says that if DNA Polymerase was to have been converted to human size, it would have enough strength to lift 300 billion pounds, or 200 aircraft carriers. Those are some pretty powerful machines!

5 Hours is actually what my teacher told me a few days ago. Then again, she's lied in the past. Heck, she even thought that male pattern baldness had no implications on survival.

Polymerase is a very neat process, though. Glad to see you're interested, mikeinohio.

Back