DNA Microarray - pitfalls and possibilities

spuriousmonkey

Banned
Banned
DNA Microarray, has it lived up to its expectations?

A few years ago it seemed like we were at the beginning of a new era; the era of the microarray. The possibilities seemed spectacular. We could screen all genes in a single experiment.

But what happened to these expectations. There were a few first publications in which microarrays were a novelty. This novelty has now worn off. It is just a tool.

But is this tool as useful as we used to think?

What is your opinion?

It depends what you want out of it, I think it's a great 'random hypothesis generator', but not so good at resolving problems.

I've been doing a lot of micro-array experiments at our facility and our users are very pleased with the results and the data that's generated. Since we've been running experiments (about 2 years now), one paper has been published and at least three more are in prep (I'm happy to announce that the published paper has acknowledged my work ;), forgive the gratuitous plug). No one has been using the technology for generating random hypotheses in our lab (we do all micro-array experiments in the state of Hawaii). Generally it's used to identify up- (and down-) regulation of genes in test vs. control individuals. Sometimes differentially regulated genes are involved in the same metabolic pathways, which is quite interesting. Conservation of genes and gene linkage have been found across great evoultionary distances in eukaryotes (recent Nature paper). A recent Science paper also examined the utility of micro-array experiments with mixed conclusions.

Interesting question.

I've been using them for resequencing and genotyping. I still see quite a few researchers ask about these chips as if they have never heard of them yet. Ugh, just spilled something . . . must finish post later.

Back