• not justifiable

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • neither

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

zanket

Human
Valued Senior Member
A man cleaning a gun in his apartment forgets to unload the gun first. Without malice the gun discharges a bullet through the ceiling and pierces the bed of a little girl who lives in the apartment above. ...

Scenario A: ... The girl is at school at the time and nobody is hurt. The man is convicted of improper handling of a firearm and sentenced to six months probation.

Scenario B: ... The girl was asleep at the time and is killed. The man is convicted of involuntary manslaughter and sentenced to 2 years in prison.

Is the difference in sentences justifiable, not justifiable, or neither? Why?

If I throw a rock and it dosnt hit somone I dont get in trouble either. I'm not sure I like your tone! Why shouldnt I be able to fire my weapon clumbsily at little girls beds? Are you one of those anti-gun wingnuts? It sounds like you are trying to imply that people should be penalized every time thier weapon COULD have killed somone, what a great way to let the criminals take over. If you outlaw random gunfire then only outlaws will have random gunfire!

Thats a hard question. The only reason for a more extreme sentence would be for the benefit of the victims family. It seems that if the purpose of law is to minimize the damage and prevent future occurences(as I generally believe it should), it makes no difference whether the girl was there or not. If it is to give peace of mind to the victims of crimes and punish the guilty then it does.
So for me, the answer is no, the difference in sentences is not justifiable, Although some difference might be justifiable such as to require the shooter to pay compensation of some kind. Whether someone was killed or not, sending him to jail does not help the situation, as it was unintentional and he poses no danger to society. In either case, someone this negligent should probably not be allowed to have guns in the future unless it is demonstrated that he knows how to handle them safely.

zanket,

Interesting hypothetical string. However, I know of an actual case simular to this.

I lived in France for (4+) years. One thing I'll never forget is how women wanting to cross a busy street would push baby carriages into the street. When all cars had come to haphazard screaching halts, she walks out gets the buggy and strolls on across the street.

An aquanitance of mine hit one of those baby buggies (no baby inside) and when he went to court the Judge ruled that he had no way of knowing there wasn't a baby in there and he got 1 year in French prison.

The lady got nothing for pushing the buggy into the traffic and causing an accident.

Also I had the honor of getting "T" boned at an intersection one winter there. I had the right of way. I saw the guy coming and could tell he wasn't going to stop but I couldn't stop or speed up because of the ice and snow on the street.

Spent months trying to get an insurance settlement because they have a system of % of fault. His insurance refused to pay the full amount because I was at fault for having been there when he ran the stop sign!

Knowing to believe only half of
what you hear is a sign of
intelligence. Knowing which
half to believe will make you a
genius.

Last edited:
Sounds like France has an interesting justice system! I’d agree with the baby buggy sentence logic were the buggy in a well-signed crosswalk and the buggy moved at normal speed, not thrown into the street. I take it that didn't happen.

My hypothetical above is along the lines of many cases I’ve read about. For example...

In Seattle we have the case of the Green River serial killer, 49 or so victims. In a bid to avoid the death penalty, the defendant is now dragging the cops around town trying to remember where all he dumped the bodies (he's found a few so far). Meanwhile in Everett nearby, there are a couple co-murderers about to be sentenced for 1 victim. They petitioned the judge to delay their sentencing, based upon this argument: if the Green River killer doesn’t get the death penalty for 49 victims, then neither should they for 1 victim.

Had the Everett murderers hid the body they could have avoided the death penalty easier! In any case the judge agreed to their petition. If they avoid the death penalty based on their argument, then I think all death row inmates in the judge’s jurisdiction should have their sentences commuted to life in prison. After all, the inmates could have made the same argument had only the Green River killer been caught sooner.

Well ....

Excepting my disapproval of the results of our American criminal-justice system, I will go so far as to declare that yes, the difference is justifiable. In fact, I would hold for a stronger sentence for the latter crime.

The criminal act may be in the negligent discharge of the weapon, but the severity of the punishment is also weighed against the result of the criminal act. If it's mere property damage, the court deals with it as a property crime with whatever firearms strings are attached. If it is a crime against a person, the court deals with it as such.

And it's not the luck of the draw. I've lived in plenty of apartment buildings; I knew when my neighbors are home, even if they were asleep.

When I was in college, my parents had the house painted and tried to sell it. The painter had to leave one day in the middle of the job because his son had been killed. A guy target-shooting a .22 a half-mile away committed a negligent act, apparently by shooting in his backyard without any backstop.

Nobody would have known or cared if a bullet hadn't hit a five year-old in the head. None of the neighbors called the police about the gunfire, and nobody noticed his shooting setup.

Huge difference in the outcome, though.

zanket,

Texas (where I now live) is noted for executions. A few years back there were court ordered moritorium on carrying out the sentences.

The basis was that the FDA had not ruled the injections as being safe as required by law. :D

Knowing to believe only half of
what you hear is a sign of
intelligence. Knowing which
half to believe will make you a
genius.

Outcomes matter. If the outcome is far worse, then the consequences of the act which led to the outcome should be correspondingly greater. Therefore, the harsher sentence is justifiable.

Could this be an extension on the age old maxim about "means justifying the ends" ?

The means, are the accedental discharge of the weapon, leading to possible outcomes.

The means, in itself is an end though, so each end would have to be justifiably "good, or right". Cleaning a gun without checking to see if its unloaded is un-justifiable as good or right.

That, and IMO you can't justify killing a girl accidently, to get no punishment, or a lesser charge such as "improper handling of a firearm".

But why do outcomes matter? How does it improve society? Let’s assume the scenarios are otherwise exactly the same. Same time of day and no telltale noise from the bedroom above, for instance. The only reason I can think of for outcomes mattering is, as jps put it, for the benefit of the victim’s family. That is, for revenge. I think a justice system should ignore society’s desire for revenge. I’m not suggesting that the sentence should be the shorter one in both cases; just that there should not be a difference in sentences.

Thats like saying that hitler killing off all the jews was a good thing because it united the german people.

Means don't jsutify ends. Ends are important.

If I fall asleep at the wheel and hit a telephone pole, don't get hurt, then I will prolly get an insurance settlement.

If I fall asleep at the wheel and hit a minivan full of kids, I will go to jail for years.

Would you say that the means are equal so I should get a fat insurance settlement if I fall asleep and smack into a van of kids?

You wouldn’t get a settlement since you’re at fault. Unless the telephone pole was in the middle of the road.

What you will get is cited for negligent driving. Assuming the minivan scenario is the same except for replace the pole with a minivan, you’d have another difference in sentences for the same act. I think the sentence should be the same whether you hit a pole or a minivan. (Restitution would differ; I’m not debating that.)

Originally posted by tiassa
If it's mere property damage, the court deals with it as a property crime with whatever firearms strings are attached. If it is a crime against a person, the court deals with it as such.

But why is that better? Obviously the guy target-shooting without a backstop was a big risk to society. I think his sentence should be based on the risk, which is the same whether or not a kid was killed. In other words, people should have cared the same even if a bullet hadn't hit anyone, enough to yield a hefty sentence had they noticed his shooting setup. It’s in society’s best interest to care the same either way.

Originally posted by zanket
The only reason I can think of for outcomes mattering is, as jps put it, for the benefit of the victim’s family. That is, for revenge. I think a justice system should ignore society’s desire for revenge. I’m not suggesting that the sentence should be the shorter one in both cases; just that there should not be a difference in sentences.
Exactly. Either the man should be punished as he would be for manslaughter whether the girl was there or not, or he should be punished as he would be for negligence whether the girl was there or not. It may be that the former is more suitable for a crime with death as the possible outcome, but to punish someone differently for the same act serves no useful purpose outside of revenge.

Some disorganized thoughts for Fafnir & Zanket's posts

Could this be an extension on the age old maxim about "means justifying the ends" ?
Not quite. The ends/means relationships in this case look to me as follows:

(1a) A hole in the floor and ceiling of the flat upstairs (end) is justified by the right and need of a person to behave unsafely with a gun (means).
(1b) The death of a toddler (end) is justified by the right and need of a person to behave unsafely with a gun (means).

(2) The prison sentence for an act (end) is justified by the means (due process).
The means, are the accedental discharge of the weapon, leading to possible outcomes.
A possible counterpoint would be to ask whether the accidental driving of a car under the influence forgives DUI injuries and deaths. Few drunk drivers intend to get in their car drunk and kill or maim someone; it just happens by accident.

Another possible counterpoint is that there are no accidents with guns. How does the "accident" occur? Did the shooter forget to unload the weapon before cleaning it and after having a few drinks (that one occurred in the Seattle area several years ago)? Did the gun salesman forget how to operate the gun and accidentally discharge the weapon, hitting a schoolteacher and missing by inches the child in her arms? (Also a few years ago.)

Did you leave the weapon loaded in its locked display case? (I know one person that happened to; thankfully, a hole in the roof of his house was the only damage.)

Did you point a weapon at someone without checking it first? (Not-quite amusing story. I really dislike guns. One day, a friend's roommate--a "responsible" gun owner with years of hunting and target experience and time in the National Guard--says, "Hey, come look at this." We walk into the room and he's pointing a nine millimeter pistol at us. I simply fell over backward and cleared the room, whereupon the guy laughed. "Pussy," he said. "It's not even loaded, look!" And then he pulled back the slide and we all watched in silence as, with slow-motion grace, a live round popped out and tumbled onto the bed.)

How, I suppose, does the theoretic "accident" happen?

It's just that the NRA was very big on the idea of "there are no accidents with firearms" until prosecutors proved willing to charge people on those grounds.
But why do outcomes matter? How does it improve society? Let’s assume the scenarios are otherwise exactly the same . . . The only reason I can think of for outcomes mattering is, as jps put it, for the benefit of the victim’s family. That is, for revenge.
This is a hard question to me. On my most rational days, the whole of the criminal justice system seems the tragedy described by Hawthorne in the opening pages of The Scarlet Letter.

Part of it is that our society punishes people disproportionately, based on sentiment and not any objective reality. Hence, I can get a longer sentence for possessing cocaine than I can if I get in my car drunk and kill you.

Addressing the disparity Zanket mentions would require a reassessment of the value and role of people in society. This is well and fine with me, though I tend to think if people in general were capable and prepared to do so, we would have done so.

A justice system should exscind revenge from its motives. But justice is a human creation, and the dichotomy between the ideal and the real is an unfortunate necessity of not being born with complete and perfect knowledge.

The outcomes matter because we're not supposed to nail each other for potential, otherwise we'd have to arrest you for being angry at someone.

An illustration of that is the war on terror. In principle, we cannot just go out and presume people guilty as we have been. If we go ten years without a terrorist attack, it cannot be said that the war on terror will have worked. The paradox is that the more successful the WoT seems, the more we will have trampled on innocent people. But the political view is also deserving of respect: that while yes, we need to wait until something happens before we can react to it, we must discuss with ourselves the price of our actions.

Or, to put it simply: Fast forward ten years and look at the war on terror. Let's call it a "success" and say that there have been no major strikes against American homeland territory (e.g. the 50 states). Now then, how many people are in prison for things they never did but we thought they might do?

That's a huge ethical problem that is currently resolved by "Us/Them" comparisons. Better the suffering be by them instead of by us. And in my opinion, "Us/Them" has to go.

I mean, look at my posts. If Homeland Security came and dragged me off tomorrow based on my writings here, would that be acceptable? Would it be acceptable that they arrested me based on some notion of what they imagine I might do someday?

Which allows a tie-in back to the topic: The ideal solution would be to raise incidental unnecessary gunfire to the level of a serious felony. In other words, I don't care if you didn't hit someone when your stray "accidental" bullet went through their house. You're still going up for two to five because you couldn't figure out that you possessed a lethal force in time to respect it.

But I don't accept that point for other arguments of law and order, so I can't directly invoke it now.

How would we view the disparity if it was in such terms? Would it bother you that a friend was serving several years in prison for accidentally shooting out his neighbor's porchlight?

Justice is supposed to be responsive. Justice is supposed to be blind. These are the reasons why Justice is not supposed to measure the act and sentence you as if someone was really hit by the bullet, and it's why Justice is not supposed to measure the act and sentence as if nobody was in the way.
Obviously the guy target-shooting without a backstop was a big risk to society. I think his sentence should be based on the risk, which is the same whether or not a kid was killed.
Yes, but I don't accept that logic for the cokeheads who can generally control their behavior, or for the drunks who make it home safely. What of the potential of speeding? When I was a kid, we violated federal law discharging aerosol containers in unsafe manners. In high school, I blew up a model airplane, threw a Molotov cocktail, and carried a bomb into an airport for a history project. I even created a huge security risk by getting out with an inappropriate amount of footage of the security screening process, such as it was, at the time. Massive potentials. Zero results. Based solely on the potential of our actions, I and most of the people I have called friends over the last fifteen years are ridiculously dangerous and should be kept separate from society. Yet on the other hand, what are my actual crimes? I smoke pot, and haven't been busted. I've been arrested for DUI, but when I can afford the defense, I'll win it easily because I wasn't in violation of the law. Yet based on my potential, and the potential risk of my prior actions, I ought to be kept with Hannibal Lecter.

Based on the potential risk of my prior actions, we might also say that I'm the last person on the face of the earth who should be raising a child.

It's a conundrum, but the most apparent alternative invites such social dysfunction as to make Justice beside the point.

Remember that nothing exists in a vacuum. An example of that is the smoking debate: people were angry at smokers during the Clinton administration because "smokers cost the rest of society too much money". As the 1990s gave way to the new millennium, there is a rising awareness of how much consumer money is wasted by companies on frivolous things. (My mother, a pharmaceutical rep, had to clear a garage full of items that new laws prohibit her from distributing to doctors for promotional purposes. Yeah, your prescription drug dollars pay for high-priced conferences at mountain lodges held by pharm reps trying to hawk drugs to doctors who use other products. And what promotions ... books, reproductions of sculpture ... we have golf towels and monster-sized plastic beverage cups coming out the yang. It was great for a lot of people like my mother who accepted the political line about the cost of allowing smokers in society. And it would have been nice for her if that idea could have remained isolated in its philosophical vacuum, because as we start applying that logic to polluters (always a tough sell), pharmaceutical companies (people love to bash them), professional athletes (but we need a championship!), ad nauseam, people have found that they're not so enchanted with the idea once it restricts them.

And so it is with sentencing based on risk. Assessment of risk is far too subjective, and people's bloodlusts and emotional irrationalities far too strong. Should we try to isolate the idea to just this set of crimes or what happens when we apply it more generally?

Seriously ... the potential risks of speeding can be construed as greater than the potential risks of raping one person. And that's what happens when you let the cat out of the vacuum bag.

Re: Some disorganized thoughts for Fafnir & Zanket's posts

The outcomes matter because we're not supposed to nail each other for potential, otherwise we'd have to arrest you for being angry at someone.
The difference here is that if someone gets angry they haven't actually done anything that has the potential to endanger someone. If someone discharges a firearm into someones apartment they clearly have..

Justice is supposed to be responsive. Justice is supposed to be blind. These are the reasons why Justice is not supposed to measure the act and sentence you as if someone was really hit by the bullet, and it's why Justice is not supposed to measure the act and sentence as if nobody was in the way.Yes, but I don't accept that logic for the cokeheads who can generally control their behavior, or for the drunks who make it home safely. What of the potential of speeding? When I was a kid, we violated federal law discharging aerosol containers in unsafe manners. In high school, I blew up a model airplane, threw a Molotov cocktail, and carried a bomb into an airport for a history project. I even created a huge security risk by getting out with an inappropriate amount of footage of the security screening process, such as it was, at the time. Massive potentials. Zero results. Based solely on the potential of our actions, I and most of the people I have called friends over the last fifteen years are ridiculously dangerous and should be kept separate from society. Yet on the other hand, what are my actual crimes? I smoke pot, and haven't been busted. I've been arrested for DUI, but when I can afford the defense, I'll win it easily because I wasn't in violation of the law. Yet based on my potential, and the potential risk of my prior actions, I ought to be kept with Hannibal Lecter.
None of the things you've mentioned here are the same as the gun example, because it cannot be said for any of them that, there was a good chance that someone would be killed(or hurt, or whatever) if circumstances outside of your control and knowledge had been slightly different. Unless of course, your model airplane, or molotov cocktail exploded in a crowded area or went through someones bedroom window while they weren't home.
DUI, really only fits this description if you are in an accident with another vehicle. In that case, it could be said that, whether or not anyone was killed, they might well have been, and you had no control over it. Otherwise who's to say that even though you had a high BAC you weren't still sober enough to make it home safely? The same can be said of speeding.

No, of course it is not justifyable.
How could it possibly be? The person being punished is the focus here. What is he being punished for?
He should be being punished for exactly what he did which was accidently set off his firearm indoors.

Something about punishing him for the repurcussions of his accident reminds me of when people break the chairs they stubb their toes on in a violent vengeful rage.

The families peace of mind really shouldn't have anything to do with him.
If he's nice he could go and comfort the family by saying "yeah thats a bummer hey?" but i don't see why he even has to do that.

JPS

The difference here is that if someone gets angry they haven't actually done anything that has the potential to endanger someone. If someone discharges a firearm into someones apartment they clearly have.
Generally speaking, I agree. But if we split judicial hairs, yes, people's anger is dangerous. We have sentencing protocols in homicide laws which set guidelines for crimes of passion. Angry people threaten bombs and shootings. And things get paranoid if you believe it all--my partner announced a few weeks ago, in genuine rage, that she wanted to kill me, for instance--and we end up with things like the "Alligator Alley" incident in which people's paranoia violates other people. In my youth we said things about blowing up the outside world, but the number of people who followed through on those sentiments was considerably less.
Otherwise who's to say that even though you had a high BAC you weren't still sober enough to make it home safely? The same can be said of speeding.
To work a little out of order, I would ask why we bother to prosecute these crimes at all until someone's dead or injured, or until your Mercedes is lodged in someone's fireplace.

In reality, I advocate legalization because I don't see the inherent risk to others in cocaine, except that it is an unstable substance insofar as different people react differently. If we had a regulated market, I would leave coke out of it altogether.

But neither the explosives nor the molotov were undertaken with any safety precautions. We could have easily damaged someone's house or even killed someone. And speeding? I'm lucky. I've only ever killed a rabbit.

And it is a hard question. Perhaps I'm missing something about how you're dividing up the issue. The phrase that confuses me is: "if circumstances outside of your control and knowledge had been slightly different."

I suppose I need to ask what those circumstances are outside of my control. A crowded area? Shouldn't I account for that before exploding a model airplane or throwing a Molotov?

And let's look at it from the perspective of a government's (e.g. the American) obligation to the common welfare of its citizens. And let's go ahead and accept for argument what you and I might recognize: if I thought we might have problems, we wouldn't have blown stuff up. So if we go ahead and presume that it was alright for me to perform those acts, what happens to those who split hairs in their own defense when malice is indeed the motive?

As a juror, if I was splitting certain hairs in what seemed an otherwise clear-cut murder case, yes, I would have to acquit on the reasonable doubt that, despite the finger on the trigger, the hammer pulled, and the round in the chamber, the shooter "didn't actually mean to fire the weapon".

Personally I liked the Molotov and the model airplane because I thought they were very similar examples. So like I said I'm wondering about those "circumstances".

And frankly, such issues are a big reason people think of me as dangerous in my leftism; I can't figure out what aside from rape, murder, arson, and theft we should jail people for. Well, assault, but you see the trend developing here. And perhaps that is the answer. Get the potheads out of the system, get the drunk drivers out of the system, get the gun runners who are busted for selling and not shooting guns out of prison.

And here I point back to the nine-millimeter incident. Come on ... obviously one cannot rely on the presumption that the chamber is loaded or empty without looking.

Let's try one for you, just theoretical, and built slightly off a story about the same guy whose loaded rifle discharged while locked in its display case. Sitting near the rifle case was a large desk arranged for assembling ammunition. It was the first time I'd seen a hunter build his own bullets, and yes, I was impressed at the time. And he pointed to another patch in the ceiling that came from an occasion on which he did something wrong and caused a round he was constructing to discharge. The shot went through the ceiling, and nobody was in the room upstairs. No blood, no foul. Things happen. However, if that bullet had struck one of his daughters (whose room was upstairs), would we question the wisdom of setting the assembly station where it was? (The house was such that the gun case was actually under an exposed part of the first floor insofar as there was only the roofline to go through. The heavily and badly-modified house bore rooms above the workbench; a whole wall sat exposed to the face of the house that had no rooms above it, but the workbench couldn't go there because it would obscure the bearskin hanging on the only wall large enough to accommodate it.)

And, yes, technically that discharge of a round violated city law, but the police chuckled and overlooked it on the no-blood-no-foul theory since it was a general city limits discharge law. But here we can look to the result: would the accidental discharge of a round being assembled be any different if it had wounded or killed some day?

Lastly, as people are arriving and the circle draws together (up from the earth and through the trees ....) it's worth acknowledging that some of it might be cultural, generational, or even individualized.

A big portion of it for me is that I grew up thinking that there were no acceptable excuses. That was the way of my father, of my teachers, and so on. When I look to the reasons/excuses (a difference in legitimacy by that childhood standard), there were no good reasons for negligence and only poor excuses. I know a couple of people who don't find that idea strange, but they grew up very nearby, in the same economic stratum, watching the same TV, learning from the same teachers. Like I said, it could be something about generation or other classification of distinctive thought trends.

Doctor Lou

So would I be excused if, amid a robbery, I shot someone I didn't mean to? Maybe only one murder count instead of four?

After all, for those other three, we could only judge the illegal discharge, as I wasn't trying to kill them.

Back