Desire to believe in a god comes from human nature

kriminal99

Registered Senior Member
People can form ideas by combining other ideas. Example: Unicorn is a horse with a horn on its head.

People are children at some point and their parents force them to behave certain ways. Sometimes they give justifications for their rules based on the real world, sometimes they merely say "Do as I say or I'll whoop you!"

People become insecure when other people do not submit to a source of power or unpleasant idea that they have submitted to. If they don't have to then why did you? Example: "Gosh Dad all of my friends are allowed to go why can't I?" or "If you spend all your money your never going to have it when you need it! Im telling you!"

As adults people's parents no longer have power over them, but they still remember the power the parents once had over them and retain the ideas given to them by their parents.

Other people do not hold the same beliefs you learned from your parents.

People construct the idea of God by putting together the ideas "Parent" and " of all adults" to convince other people they should follow their ideas.

EDIT: Not saying this is the only one.

Last edited:
People become insecure when other people do not submit to a source of power or unpleasant idea that they have submitted to.
this is a really interesting idea. and one that is evidenced again and again on this forum.
a person has adopted a particular view of the world, a particular model of reality through social conditioning and personal experience and they have a great need to have their view or model reinforced by other people, 'my view is right isnt it?'/ iam not wrong am i?'. this reinforcement dosent happen very often because everybody has their own unique veiw/model of reality. people know their view/model is the right view/model because they have witnessed it, expereinced it or thought it out thoroughly, so how could it be anything other than right. we now have a collection of people with different views/models who all believe they are right and everyone else that doesnt accept there view/model of reality is wrong.

these discussions can quickly degenerate into debates about person A's constant masturbation being less socaily acceptable than person B's mothers employment as a whore.

Last edited:
I think humans arrived at the concept of "god" in an attempt to explain the inexpicable. Why does the sun always come up in the east? Why does the sun "travel" across the sky? Why does it rain? Why does it get cold? Why does that damned saber toothed tiger try to eat us all the time?

Those and many, many questions arose because of human curiosity. Could you possibly explain why the sky is blue to an early human on the plains of Africa? "God" took care of all that ......any question that had no answer was attributed to "god". It was an easy, simple solution to those difficult questions.

Baron Max

God is the name many give to those things they can't explain.

kriminal99 said:
People can form ideas by combining other ideas. Example: Unicorn is a horse with a horn on its head.

True, but nothing compelling yet.

kriminal99 said:
People are children at some point and their parents force them to behave certain ways. Sometimes they give justifications for their rules based on the real world, sometimes they merely say "Do as I say or I'll whoop you!"

Force them? Most children just "do" what their parents do because they learn from them, just like the rest of the animal kingdom who were also "children" or should I say "young" at some point.
Why would humans be the only ones believing in a higher power, yet many other species instruct\discipline their young in the same way?

kriminal99 said:
People become insecure when other people do not submit to a source of power or unpleasant idea that they have submitted to. If they don't have to then why did you? Example: "Gosh Dad all of my friends are allowed to go why can't I?" or "If you spend all your money your never going to have it when you need it! Im telling you!"

That is true in small communities, but the insecurity is based on fear of the unknown not of what is believed. The bigger the environnement, the less people notice or care about differences. My point is that people today are free to believe and many chose to believe... care to explain that with your evolutionary theory?

In any case, people could also become insecure because their kid is a communist while the parent is fascist or insecure because the kid is homosexual while the parent is heterosexual. Thus, everything different can be seen as a cause of insecurity... not only God or moral views.

kriminal99 said:
As adults people's parents no longer have power over them, but they still remember the power the parents once had over them and retain the ideas given to them by their parents.

All animals do that, its called habit formation. Why would humans be different as a consequence? How do you implicate God in all this?

kriminal99 said:
Other people do not hold the same beliefs you learned from your parents.

People construct the idea of God by putting together the ideas "Parent" and " of all adults" to convince other people they should follow their ideas.

Thats called congnitive dissonance. When the mind is presented with conflictual information concerning an idea they currently hold they have a choice: discard the old information or discard the new information. It cannot accept both as true so it makes a choice.
I fail to see where God enters in this everyday process and how parenthood would be the gateway to faith.

Prisme

Cris said:
God is the name many give to those things they can't explain.

Actually, God can be the name given to:

Plato's Demiurge: he created the world and has left it to grow by itself.

Christian God: he is our creator and sent his son to save us. (Now there are so many variations of christianity, there could also be a legitimate debate as to which wing of christianism is right: evangelical, baptist, roman, anglican...)

Primitive gods: (Greek or hindu gods) gods are forces which control the universe and thusly human existence through their own and conlficting natures.

Agnostic God: Blaise Pascal said:
What can be seen on earth indicates neither the total absence, nor the manifest presence of divinity, but the presence of a hidden God.

Aristotlean God: He is the first Cause of the universe.

Cartesian God: Without God, we would be unable to practice morality since we would lack transcendance. God is thus what enabled us to act morally.
(paraphrased)

The presence of a God that accounts for the unknown can be explainable inside primitive societies. But the concept of God has not been discarded in modern societies, it has rather evolved in much more complex ways.

For example, Aristotle's God did not come from the unknown but rather from logic and physics: if the world is but a series of causes and effects, then a First cause must have occured, one that was not itself caused and thus was pure causality.

Descartes argument for God relies on his mechanics: how can a biological machine learn morality? That particular machine must have been constructed to be able to have morality.

Last edited:
ellion said:
this is a really interesting idea. and one that is evidenced again and again on this forum.
a person has adopted a particular view of the world, a particular model of reality through social conditioning and personal experience and they have a great need to have their view or model reinforced by other people, 'my view is right isnt it?'/ iam not wrong am i?'. this reinforcement dosent happen very often because everybody has their own unique veiw/model of reality. people know their view/model is the right view/model because they have witnessed it, expereinced it or thought it out thoroughly, so how could it be anything other than right. we now have a collection of people with different views/models who all believe they are right and everyone else that doesnt accept there view/model of reality is wrong.

these discussions can quickly degenerate into debates about person A's constant masturbation being less socaily acceptable than person B's mothers employment as a whore.

My suggested way of distinguishing a good belief from a bad belief at ANY point in time:

If a belief would be held by you in your final state of knowledge, IE you have experienced everything which might be relevant to a subject and understand everyone's viewpoint, and noone is influencing the way you think, then it is a good belief.

This may sound like a useless way of determining a good belief since you can't speculate on what you would think if you knew everything, but what it does is recognize certain behavior in debates as indicating a poor belief set. And since debate is the only place where beliefs come into question in a social setting this is all thats needed. Specifically, if someone is afraid of their opponents viewpoints then their beliefs are not justified. If someone doesn't have an open mind their beliefs are not justified.

But MOST IMPORTANTLY, if the person does not understand their opponents arguments and do not actively try to, their beliefs are not jutified.

People come to different conclusions by misuse of induction... I might say the mind is like a computer and sense logic in a computer is physically represented by circuits it could be physically represented by something similar in our brains. But the truth is WE DON'T KNOW whether computers and minds are alike. If they are not then this analogy doesn't hold, and if we knew whether or not they were alike in that manner we wouldn't be arguing about it. Kinda makes you wonder why people make analogies like that to begin with huh? Because they know they can subvert people into believing things in this manner because of a glitch in the way people think. Subtract this "glitch" from the equation and you get people coming to very similar conclusions with the same information.

Noone is ever wrong in the "god your stupid how could you think that" sense. They only know what they could have know considering what they have experienced so far. Nevertheless people must be "encouraged" to keep an open mind and also not to do things like execute someone based on a belief that may be totally false.

Prisme said:
True, but nothing compelling yet.

Force them? Most children just "do" what their parents do because they learn from them, just like the rest of the animal kingdom who were also "children" or should I say "young" at some point.

Why would humans be the only ones believing in a higher power, yet many other species instruct\discipline their young in the same way?

That is true in small communities, but the insecurity is based on fear of the unknown not of what is believed. The bigger the environnement, the less people notice or care about differences. My point is that people today are free to believe and many chose to believe... care to explain that with your evolutionary theory?

In any case, people could also become insecure because their kid is a communist while the parent is fascist or insecure because the kid is homosexual while the parent is heterosexual. Thus, everything different can be seen as a cause of insecurity... not only God or moral views.

All animals do that, its called habit formation. Why would humans be different as a consequence? How do you implicate God in all this?

Thats called congnitive dissonance. When the mind is presented with conflictual information concerning an idea they currently hold they have a choice: discard the old information or discard the new information. It cannot accept both as true so it makes a choice.
I fail to see where God enters in this everyday process and how parenthood would be the gateway to faith.

Prisme

Example of a parent or teacher forcing a child to behave a certain way that has nothing to do with "learning from the parents actions": Child steals a crayon from neighbor, Parent punishes child and says "If you steal a crayon again I'm gonna whip you" Child then refrains from stealing crayons. (at least when he thinks he will get caught)

The insecurity I was speaking of has nothing to do with fear of the unknown. This insecurity can be modeled in the following manner. Person A wants B. The shortest way to get to B initially looks like path C. Some force in the world (a person or otherwise) inflicts unhappiness on A for using path C. Person A uses more difficult path D instead. Person E then comes along and uses path C succesfully. Person A sees this and wonders why Person E gets to use path C while he was punished for doing so. Is he somehow worse than person E? This makes him insecure.

The people who believe in christianity are not free in every sense of the word, and there were times in their lives that they were not free in any sense of the word. Anotherwords, if a kid grows up in a situation were everyone around him is religous and becomes angry with him for questioning religion then he will feel like he has no choice but to accept religion in order for any person to respect or like him which is a major thing that motivates people's behavior. Once he accepts religion you can remove him from that situation and he will not only retain the beliefs but getting rid of them means that he has to accept that he was decieved. This would be painful.

What happens if you try to raise a child religously but he is around people who aren't religous most of the time? He will reject the religion. These people haven't chosen to believe, they have been brainwashed. You see the same thing with kidnappers and evil governments that force people to do things they would never do otherwise. Even after you remove the brainwasher's power they still remember it and think it applies to them.

To understand the argument I made you have to put all the parts together...

People construct the idea of god to deal with their insecurities...

Prisme said:
Hunh? :confused: *glitch*

Glitch as in, using a metaphor makes your argument sound like it has more logical value than it really does. Notice how 90% of preacher's sermons are metaphors...

Last edited:
Baron Max said:
I think humans arrived at the concept of "god" in an attempt to explain the inexpicable. Why does the sun always come up in the east? Why does the sun "travel" across the sky? Why does it rain? Why does it get cold? Why does that damned saber toothed tiger try to eat us all the time?

Could you possibly explain why the sky is blue to an early human on the plains of Africa? "God" took care of all that ......any question that had no answer was attributed to "god".
and today when all of these questions are answered
why do theists still cling to gods??

What caused the universe to begin? Does it have a beginning? Are there more universes?

Prisme said:
Christian God: he is our creator and sent his son to save us.
too bad that one is so illogical,only an idiot would fall for it,

why would God need to sacrifice himself to himself to save people from something He made in the first place?
Agnostic God: Blaise Pascal said:
What can be seen on earth indicates neither the total absence, nor the manifest presence of divinity, but the presence of a hidden God.
or its just nature..
why invent some kind of deity?
Aristotlean God: He is the first Cause of the universe.
and who created God?...(people me thinks!)
why cant the Universe be eternaly existing,uncaused and infinite?
sure looks that way..
and we know that matter,energy cannot be created nor destroyed only changed,which would mean universe always existed in some form,shape..
Cartesian God: Without God, we would be unable to practice morality since we would lack transcendance. God is thus what enabled us to act morally.
nonsense,morality comes from people..
with God you get moral teachings like these
But the concept of God has not been discarded in modern societies,
maybe it should,after all the superstitious beliefs hold back the
advancement of human race..
Descartes argument for God relies on his mechanics: how can a biological machine learn morality?
like so..

scorpius said:
too bad that one is so illogical,only an idiot would fall for it,

why would God need to sacrifice himself to himself to save people from something He made in the first place?

Um.. I think the story goes something like, Man lived in the Garden of Eden until the original sin. Later on, men lived in sin and God's sends his son to give mankind the possibility to earn a way to heaven (real or metaphorical). Sounds pretty logical to me even if very unplausible.

scorpius said:
and who created God?...(people me thinks!)
why cant the Universe be eternaly existing,uncaused and infinite?
sure looks that way..
and we know that matter,energy cannot be created nor destroyed only changed,which would mean universe always existed in some form,shape..

Its not a quesiton of "can or cannot" its concerning that the physics were used to arrive to a definition of God. Logically -from the minds standpoint- every effect can be traced to cause and so forth. Now, if this is held as true, how can an infinity of cause and effect exist? Its rationnaly impossible to explain for you fall in the 'infinite regression' which has been shown to be irrational in itself (talked by Aristotle, Descartes and Leibniz).

Anyways, just read this and you'll understand why the universe is not infinite:
http://www.apologeticspress.org/modules.php?name=Read&cat=1&itemid=269
modern science denies an eternal existence to the Universe!

scorpius said:
nonsense,morality comes from people..
with God you get moral teachings like these

I went to that site and here is what I retain:

On the other hand, if a god's commandments are based on a knowledge of the inherent goodness of an act, we are faced with the realization that there is a standard of goodness independent of the god and we must admit that he cannot be the source of morality. In our quest for the good, we can bypass the god and go to his source!
Given, then, that gods a priori cannot be the source of ethical principles, we must seek such principles in the world in which we have evolved. We must find the sublime in the mundane. What precept might we adopt?

The text erroneously explains as if Plato specifically said this. Its rather a revampted presentation of an arguement use by Plato to speak of what is Holy and what belongs to the gods.
This fault put aside, the site you offered -along with Plato- both presuppose that we can know what is the "standard of goodness". I think that a pretty big presupposition that needs lots of backing up for alot of thinkers would easily tear down any attempt to give out a universal standard for goodness.

The principle of "enlightened self-interest" is an excellent first approximation to an ethical principle which is both consistent with what we know of human nature and is relevant to the problems of life in a complex society. Let us examine this principle.
First we must distinguish between "enlightened" and "unenlightened" self-interest. Let's take an extreme example for illustration. Suppose you lived a totally selfish life of immediate gratification of every desire. Suppose that whenever someone else had something you wanted, you took it for yourself.
It wouldn't be long at all before everyone would be up in arms against you, and you would have to spend all your waking hours fending off reprisals. Depending upon how outrageous your activity had been, you might very well lose your life in an orgy of neighborly revenge. The life of total but unenlightened self-interest might be exciting and pleasant as long as it lasts -but it is not likely to last long (...)
It is obvious that more is to be gained by cooperating with others than by acts of isolated egoism.

I've never heard of "enlightened self-interest" before, but I have read all the above in Hobbes "Leviathan" (not properly quoted again). The problem with such a universal rule -which at the beginning the text announces that it is only an approximate to a universal ethical principle (nice trashing your arguement before even starting it!)- its that it pre supposes two ideas that are completly hypothetical and not founded on verifiable facts:

1- At the beginning of human life, individuals were isolated from each other and fought regularly with each other for survival (Hobbes "state of war")

2-From this state it became "obvious" that cooperation was better than the sate of war.(Hobbes explains the origin of society)

1st critic:
Rousseau addressed this issue by remarking that no one can account for makind while he was "in the state of nature". He depicts the firsts humans who lived by their own as being quite happy: plenty of food to pick from trees, plenty of land to walk around and only rarely see other human beings.
The problem starts when humans begin to live together: jealousy and envy set in and for the first time competition sets in. As Rousseau would argue, the formation of societies have removed man so far from his original state of nature that it is today impossible to trace backwards his true nature. Society has shaped man into something compleatly different than what he used to be: physicaly and psycholgoicaly.

2nd seperate quote of the text:
Because we have the nervous systems of social animals, we are generally happier in the company of our fellow creatures than alone.

2nd critic that applies to all previous quotes:
I think, like Rousseau, that their is nothing "obvious" to the primitive man that living in packs is better than living alone. They are many pros and cons to both styles of life. By stating that it is 'obvious' you are presupposing that the primitive man thinks like we do today. By stating that primitive nervous systems enjoyed as much the company of others than our modern nervous systems, you are again presupposing that both function the same way.

Something very nice in theory, but can never be proven more than its opposite theory.

Prisme

I read yours, now you read mine
To scorpius:
http://www.apologeticspress.org/modules.php?name=Read&cat=1&itemid=269
(from another thread)

Last edited:
kriminal99 said:
Example of a parent or teacher forcing a child to behave a certain way that has nothing to do with "learning from the parents actions": Child steals a crayon from neighbor, Parent punishes child and says "If you steal a crayon again I'm gonna whip you" Child then refrains from stealing crayons. (at least when he thinks he will get caught)

A fine explanation to which I have nothing to add, since it has nothing to do with God.

kriminal99 said:
The insecurity I was speaking of has nothing to do with fear of the unknown. This insecurity can be modeled in the following manner. Person A wants B. The shortest way to get to B initially looks like path C. Some force in the world (a person or otherwise) inflicts unhappiness on A for using path C. Person A uses more difficult path D instead. Person E then comes along and uses path C succesfully. Person A sees this and wonders why Person E gets to use path C while he was punished for doing so. Is he somehow worse than person E? This makes him insecure.

Please, go on.

kriminal99 said:
The people who believe in christianity are not free in every sense of the word, and there were times in their lives that they were not free in any sense of the word. Anotherwords, if a kid grows up in a situation were everyone around him is religous and becomes angry with him for questioning religion then he will feel like he has no choice but to accept religion in order for any person to respect or like him which is a major thing that motivates people's behavior. Once he accepts religion you can remove him from that situation and he will not only retain the beliefs but getting rid of them means that he has to accept that he was decieved. This would be painful.

1-Well they are free now. I like talking about now because thats were I and most people find themselves right now. (FYI: I'm implying that free people that believe in God escape your explanation)

2-That is not what you said earlyer. You were speacking of "my adult parents" coupled with the idea "of all adults". Now you're talking about people indoctrinating a youngster with their culture.

3-This may be hard for you atheists to believe... but your not the first atheists. Atheists have existed in every country and every epochs. So even if some people could "feel pain" many others would not. How could this happen? Free will maybe? (as I mentionned with homosexuality)

kriminal99 said:
What happens if you try to raise a child religously but he is around people who aren't religous most of the time? He will reject the religion. These people haven't chosen to believe, they have been brainwashed. You see the same thing with kidnappers and evil governments that force people to do things they would never do otherwise. Even after you remove the brainwasher's power they still remember it and think it applies to them.

To understand the argument I made you have to put all the parts together
People construct the idea of god to deal with their insecurities...

To understand the argument the way you put it, I would have to already agree with it a priori... which I don't.

Many people that believe do not come from religious backgrounds. Not all believers in God are brainwashed; for example all the theists that believe in a form of God but do not believe in the manifestation of God through organized religions.
Finally, anxiety causes neurosis and mood disorders causes depression. I could not find find anything in the DSM-IV (Psychology's equivalent of the Bible) that could account for your theory that insecurities or stress somehow causes beliefs in a higher being.

kriminal99 said:
Glitch as in, using a metaphor makes your argument sound like it has more logical value than it really does. Notice how 90% of preacher's sermons are metaphors...

Glitch as in I had absolutely no idea what you were saying. As for metaphors in sermons, I wouldn't know, I don't go to church except for weddings and funerals.

Prisme

What are you talking about? Dogs have gods, as do cats, mice and pubic lice. Have some faith brother.

Back