Decline of the Fittest - trophy hunting

spuriousmonkey

Banned
Banned
Nature: vol 426 p 595 and p655 2004

The horns of some bighorn sheep are getting smaller because trophy hunters are shooting the most impressive specimens, which of course carry the most impressive horns.

This has the unwanted effect that in the population the horns of the males are getting smaller and also that the male behaviour is changing. There are less head butting fights for instance.

The question is also what kind of effect this will have on the entire population, since big horns can be a sign of good health and plenty of power.

A similar phenomenon can be seen with the african elephant. The incidence of tuskless individuals is on the increase.

You mean the males are getting less horny ?

How about the now extinct giant Irish elk:

_791385_elk_300.jpg

It depended on open grasslands , but the beginning of the end of the ice-age 11.000 years ago paradoxely caused a local temperature drop in ireland due to molten icewater from the northpole cutting off the warm gulfstream. Less food to grow those impressive horns, while the female elks still chose the most impressive large horns wich normally would indicate well fed healthy male, while nature dictated elks with smaller needs for food (and thus smaller horns) to survive , this was the beginning of their downfall. They were able to sustain another 1500 years the slightly more favourable conditions on the island of Man and south Scotland (connected at that time by icebridges), but as the iceage really ended, suddenly it also got warmer in ireland and the icebridges melted , isolating the herds (inbreeding) and also the warmer climate favored trees and humans to take over the grasslands, it's hard to imagine an elk with 4 meter wingspan running thorugh the dense woods...

Last edited:
spuriousmonkey said:
Nature: vol 426 p 595 and p655 2004

The horns of some bighorn sheep are getting smaller because trophy hunters are shooting the most impressive specimens, which of course carry the most impressive horns.

This has the unwanted effect that in the population the horns of the males are getting smaller and also that the male behaviour is changing. There are less head butting fights for instance.

The question is also what kind of effect this will have on the entire population, since big horns can be a sign of good health and plenty of power.

A similar phenomenon can be seen with the african elephant. The incidence of tuskless individuals is on the increase.

That's unusual. With White-tailed deer, just the reverse is occurring. The way they manage them is to shoot any buck who has an unimpressive rack and spare the ones with well-formed good-sized racks. White-tailed deer hunting is quite lucrative. Many ranchers have gotten pretty much out of the cattle business (too much work and too much risk) and cater to deer hunters. The going rate is several thousand dollars per gun per season. A lot of the ranchers also run a camp for the hunters and pull in some pretty good dough, feeding them etc. Rich deer hunters don't mind spending a lot of money if they can bag a trophy buck.

I thought horn or antler size was mostly determined by genetics, food supply and
the available minerals in the soil where the animals matured. There is a peak age for
antler size in whitetail deer, about at age 6 or 7 years old, after which size begins to decrease again. Bucks can breed long before they reach peak antler size. Are you saying
if a deer breeds at two instead of seven, his offspring will have smaller antlers? Are his
genes not the same, regardless of age?

Sport hunting hits evolutionary traits in bighorn sheep

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2003-12/uoa-shh120903.php

Sheep horn size is being reduced due to hunter selection

Trophy hunting is driving down the horn size of big horn sheep--an evolutionary response caused by killing the largest rams before they reach their breeding peak, according to research produced in part at the University of Alberta.
By shooting the most desirable rams--those with large horns and high body weight--before they are able to achieve high rates of paternity, hunters have depleted genes for big horns and fast growth for the population. Scientists have noticed similar results with fish, but this research marks the first time investigators have discovered these findings in bighorn sheep. The research appears in this week's edition of the prestigious scientific journal, "Nature."

"Because you don't have the best rams mating, they aren't reproducing and the population isn't seeing the best genetic variability," said Dr. Curtis Strobek from the Faculty of Science at the University of Alberta and one of the authors on the paper. The lead author, Dr. David Coltman, did much of the DNA fingerprinting as a post-doctoral fellow in Strobek's lab. Currently at the University of Sheffield, Coltman will be returning to the U of A in June as a researcher.

Coltman's research team studied 30 years of data from a harvest bighorn sheep population at Ram Mountain, Alberta. Fifty-seven rams were shot since 1975, most before reaching eight years of age and nine were shot as early as the age of four. Mating success increases in bighorn sheep by six years of age when rams become capable of holding their own against females during the rut. The scientists used quantitative genetic analyses to explore the evolutionary response to hunter selection on ram weight and horn size.

"Unrestricted harvesting of trophy rams has contributed to a decline in the very traits that determine trophy quality," wrote the researchers. Wildlife managers should look at alternative strategies "to minimize further deterioration of the genetic quality of bighorn sheep."

A world-class trophy ram is a valuable commodity and hunting permits have been auctioned for hundreds of thousands dollars. One sport hunter paid more than $1 million in 1998 and 1999 for special permits to hunt trophy rams in Alberta. In many parts of North America, sport harvest of mountain sheep is often restricted only by the availability of rams whose horns reach a minimum size prescribed by regulations. Although the use of income generated from sport hunting goes towards enhancing and conserving mountain ungulate habitat can be seen in a positive light, so far little attention has been paid to the potential evolutionary consequences. A similar effect may be impacting African elephants where tuskless males are becoming more common.

----
by restricting hunting to those large and heavy rams, their removing those genes from the population and so seeing smaller lighter rams...as one would expect really...

quote:
" by restricting hunting to those large and heavy rams, their removing those genes from the population and so seeing smaller lighter rams...as one would expect really...
================================================================
by restricting hunting to large and heavy rams, you are removing the OLDER rams
from the population, the ones that are fully matured. This "scientific study" involved
57 rams.
"Mating success increases in bighorn sheep by six years of age when rams become capable of holding their own against females during the rut. The scientists used quantitative genetic analyses to explore the evolutionary response to hunter selection on ram weight and horn size. "
That statement alone indicates AGE as the primary component for mating success.
How does "quantitative genetic analyses" of 57 rams come into play? I don't doubt
that if the rams are killed before reaching 8 years of age, they will weigh less and have smaller horns. I can't comment on reduced mating success because of the
younger age and size of the rams, but a ram is not genetically inferior because he
is younger and smaller. Do you believe a 40 year old human weightlifter will have
offspring that grow to be larger than the offspring he had as a skinny 17 year old?

2inquisitive said:
quote:
" by restricting hunting to those large and heavy rams, their removing those genes from the population and so seeing smaller lighter rams...as one would expect really...
================================================================
by restricting hunting to large and heavy rams, you are removing the OLDER rams
from the population, the ones that are fully matured. This "scientific study" involved
57 rams.
"Mating success increases in bighorn sheep by six years of age when rams become capable of holding their own against females during the rut. The scientists used quantitative genetic analyses to explore the evolutionary response to hunter selection on ram weight and horn size. "
That statement alone indicates AGE as the primary component for mating success.
How does "quantitative genetic analyses" of 57 rams come into play? I don't doubt
that if the rams are killed before reaching 8 years of age, they will weigh less and have smaller horns. I can't comment on reduced mating success because of the
younger age and size of the rams, but a ram is not genetically inferior because he
is younger and smaller. Do you believe a 40 year old human weightlifter will have
offspring that grow to be larger than the offspring he had as a skinny 17 year old?

the article mentions that it is not an age effect. On average the horn size goes down and they particulary mentioned that there is a selection against animals that grow big horns fast.

So i don't see where you are going except outside the realm of reality.

My problem is with the scientific method they employed. Fifty-seven rams were shot
over a 30 year span, about two per year. What years were the four year olds shot,
when were the six year olds shot? What is the total number of sheep in the population?
How many 8 year old rams are there that were not shot? Where did he get DNA from
the earlier years to compare with the DNA from the later years? The article seems to
lack true science to me.

2inquisitive said:
My problem is with the scientific method they employed. Fifty-seven rams were shot
over a 30 year span, about two per year. What years were the four year olds shot,
when were the six year olds shot? What is the total number of sheep in the population?
How many 8 year old rams are there that were not shot? Where did he get DNA from
the earlier years to compare with the DNA from the later years? The article seems to
lack true science to me.

Don't worry about that. It is a myth that you need hard evidence for everything you publish. I certainly don't evidence for everything I publish. Associations can be enough.

" * Bighorn sheep grow up to six feet in length, live up to 12 years and can weigh as much as 300 pounds. (Females weigh only 60% of the males, typically.) Rocky Mountain bighorns live in the grassy alpine of the Rockies, usually at altitudes of 5,000 to 10,000 feet.

* Alberta Environment estimates the provincial population to be about 5,800 animals. This estimate is based on population counts in selected areas and hunter harvest information.

2inquisitive said:
" * Bighorn sheep grow up to six feet in length, live up to 12 years and can weigh as much as 300 pounds. (Females weigh only 60% of the males, typically.) Rocky Mountain bighorns live in the grassy alpine of the Rockies, usually at altitudes of 5,000 to 10,000 feet.

* Alberta Environment estimates the provincial population to be about 5,800 animals. This estimate is based on population counts in selected areas and hunter harvest information.

My nose produces about 3 ml of snot per hour.

If a ram has the genes which make him big and large horned, then regardless of his age he will pass them on.

However if he is killed at 10, he will be the proud dad of X10 sheep with those genes
If he is killed at 3 he will be the dad to X3 sheep with those genes

Now I have no idea of that’s of relevance. The study was done only on Ram Mountain, with no immigration, maternity was known for 709 of the 894 sheep from 1971 onwards from field observations, all sheep from then on were captured, marked and let go. The genetic testing started in 1993. Paternal identity links in the pedigree were defined for 345 individuals. 57 rams were shot but these were not the only sheep sampled. If you want the scientific details look in Nature.

spuriousmonkey said:
My nose produces about 3 ml of snot per hour.

I hope it's kept internal :p

Last edited:
Back