death penalty

mario

Registered Senior Member
I know this isn't exactly a religious topic but I was wondering how religion looks at this subject. Islam readily permits the death penalty for serious crimes but how do christians feel? Would they rather "turn the other cheek" or do some see righteousness in sending a killer to meet his maker? As far as I know only atheists are divided over this issue.

A lot of Christians believe it can't be morally justified. But there are many who believe that it can be legally justified. They believe that while nobody can be personally justified to make such a decision, you can democratically elect a government that has that authority.

What's your view?

Sorry, I didn't notice that there was a reply to this thread. Silly me. I must be blind. I believe in the death penalty for the really hardcore killers like child killers and serial kilers. But there has to be absolute proof too. Killing someone from an emotional outburst (sins of passion) deserve life in prison. But cold, senseless and brutal murder is an eye for an eye thing for me.

mario said:
I believe in the death penalty for the really hardcore killers like child killers and serial kilers. But there has to be absolute proof.
But there never can be absolute proof. It's their word against yours, people lie and lawyers turn it all around the other way. You can never, ever have absolute proof.... and because of this all the cool countries don't have the death penalty, coz you never want to kill someone and then find out they weren't as bad as you thought...

And to the other part you said, what if a person wounded someone in self-defence and they went on to die, does that really need life in prison? Or what if a mentally retarded kid killed his entire family when he mistook the rat poison for sugar cubes and put it in the lemonade? What about that?

rainbow__princess_4 said:
But there never can be absolute proof. It's their word against yours, people lie and lawyers turn it all around the other way. You can never, ever have absolute proof....
sure we can,
not in every case but many,many times theres no doubt about persons guilt,
with all the modern technology available to the crime investigators today finding solid evidence is pretty easy in most cases.

I believe in the death penalty for pre-meditate murders. The argument that we shouldnt execute criminals because maybe one person in athousand may be innocent doesnt fly with me.

Let's say we imprisoned every one for life for murder, what about the person who is innocent but convicted of murder but still must be impisoned all his life. That isnt fair to the wrongly accused person, so what should we do? Release every one from jail because a small percentage are innocent?

In that case might as well not bother imprisoning anybody less we accuse an innocent man.

Back