Damn, this was really clever...

Cowboy

My Aim Is True
Valued Senior Member
Students disciplined for posters on King Day

From The Article said:
Rupprecht said disciplinary action was taken against the students involved but, citing student privacy policies, she declined to specify the penalties or what about the students' action led to them.

I'd really like to know what about the student's actions warranted punishment.

I wonder if there is a special award for the distinguished white student?

This should be in EM&J. Anywho, the student was from Africa! He is a African American, even if he is white.

I think the school should have an Alexander Hamilton Student Award. Awarded to one white student every year. It's only fair.

Acid Cowboy said:
Students disciplined for posters on King Day

I'd really like to know what about the student's actions warranted punishment.

I wonder if there is a special award for the distinguished white student?
Even though the student is from Africa, if the students who placed the posters truly wanted him to have proper consideration for the award, they, or their parents could have brought up the matter in a civil manner to the administration. I believe that if such action was taken, the student would subsequently be considered for the award.

Instead, they chose the "shock jock" route, plastering posters in support of a student, whom, to the causal observer, does not appear to be African-American, for a "Distinguished African American Student Award". To top it all off, they did so on Martin Luther King Jr. Day. To any reasonable person, this indicates that the students, and perhaps their parents, were only interested in sensationalism, and not actual change.

Furthermore, as it states in the article, in a school of 1,843 students, there are less than 70 people of African Descent. Also realize that most likely, the candidate in question is not of African Descent (With respect to a reasonable time frame, since if one subscribes to the "Out of Africa" hypothesis, then everyone is of African Descent, but one has to trace back one's lineage for an unreasonable amount of generations to do so.) but his current family simply lived in Africa for a period of time. Most likely, his ancestors did not hail from Africa. Similarly, if the past 20 generations of one's ancestors hailed from China, and the most recent generation was born in Australia, the new generation does not suddenly become of Australian descent. However, the students, and possibly their parents, clung to this shred of justification so that, most likely, so they could further their own agenda, one that, if the article is any indication, most likely involves implementation of "racial fairness" through removal of "unfair reverse discriminatory practices".

To further illustrate the prevalence of this phenomenon, consider the fairly recent stir about Affirmative Action decisions regarding colleges. In the typical case, one student, usually of European descent, raises a fury about being passed over for admission in favor of another person, usually one who belongs to a racial minority, and decries "unfair practices" that are unrelated to student performance for their denial. One must realize, though, that collegiate admissions already take into account many factors that are not directly indicative of a student's potential academic performance, e.g. prior family contributions to the university, alumni who are not immediate family members or guardians of the student, the ability of one's family to pay for the bill out of their own pocket, etc. However, students, and their parents have decided to take a stand on this particular issue. Why? We shall see in a minute, after a brief aside.

[Begin aside]

A great deal of people, out of convenience, tend to believe that simply when an unjust practice based upon racial criterion is repealed, that people's prejudices vanish as well, which is obviously not the case. Thus, the practice can still persist in a more covert manner. Furthermore, the consensus seems to be, with regards to issues of African-American slavery, that removal of the errant law is enough, and no reparation is in order. For an example, please refer to the (fairly) recent issue regarding compensation sought for those who served as slaves, to be paid to the party in question, or their descendants. In most cases, such requests were denied.

[End aside]

This contradicts the "plight" of the students applying to college, since most of them, in addition seeking to repeal the law, also ask for, you guessed it, compensation for their loss, i.e. admission to the institution in question, plus reparation for damages due to emotional suffering. Thus, we see another double standard, for when certain individuals find themselves "on the other side of the racial divide", they suddenly cry out for all available compensation, while they refused to support similar action when they were not the victim.

To summarize, a horrid double standard is being used by those who wish to further their own agenda, and some of them make use of the guise of racial equality to do so, even though they readily attack the same reasoning when utilized by a group that they do not subscribe to.

When I read the article I found myself not caring, then I read the response (see above). That was a great break down, very thorough and insightful.

CounslerCoffee said:
This should be in EM&J. Anywho, the student was from Africa! He is a African American, even if he is white.
The simple fact that this point is the one you cling to shows that the bulk of the issue, for the moment at least, escapes you.
CounslerCoffee said:
I think the school should have an Alexander Hamilton Student Award. Awarded to one white student every year.
Approximately 96.36% of the students are of European Descent. The aforementioned award was most likely created to help create a sense of belonging for the few minority students attending the school. Such a sense need not be created for the students of European descent, since they are, by far, the overwhelming majority. Most likely, the students of African descent rarely encounter each other during the course of a school day, contributing to feelings of isolation. Thus, this award serves as a means of helping these students feel welcome.

From the article provided earlier, it is obvious that there is a vocal subset of the students of European descent that wish to alienate these few students of African descent for whatever reason, and, since the apple doesn't fall very fall from the tree, their parents largely support them in this endeavor as well. Either they do not realize, or they do not care, that their actions are fostering prejudiced ideals.

Now, based on all this information, you wish to create an award that honors a student of European descent. Do you not think that this award will only serve to further the prejudiced ideals of the vocal subset mentioned earlier? Do you not think people will attempt to degrade the "Distinguished African American Student Award" as a result, since it would only choose from approximately 70 students, while the "Alexander Hamilton Student Award" would select from a body of 1,773 students?
CounslerCoffee said:
It's only fair.
You must have a very limited definition of fairness to truthfully assert the above.
Chalaco said:
When I read the article I found myself not caring, then I read the response (see above).
I'm glad that my post helped you to note some other aspects of the issue at hand.

Chalaco said:
That was a great break down, very thorough and insightful.
Thank you.

Dapthar said:
Approximately 96.36% of the students are of European Descent. The aforementioned award was most likely created to help create a sense of belonging for the few minority students attending the school.

You don't create a sense of belonging by emphasizing racial differences with a special award for black students.

Dapthar said:
Such a sense need not be created for the students of European descent, since they are, by far, the overwhelming majority.

Irrelevant. You either believe in equal treatment or not. Demographics are besides the point.

Dapthar said:
Most likely, the students of African descent rarely encounter each other during the course of a school day, contributing to feelings of isolation.

So what? Learn to get along with your peers.

Dapthar said:
Thus, this award serves as a means of helping these students feel welcome.

So non-black students aren't welcome? Black people can't feel welcome unless they are receiving special treatment that is apparently unavailable to others?

Should all schools start handing out special awards for any racial group that makes up a numerical minority of the student body?

Dapthar said:
From the article provided earlier, it is obvious that there is a vocal subset of the students of European descent that wish to alienate these few students of African descent for whatever reason, and, since the apple doesn't fall very fall from the tree, their parents largely support them in this endeavor as well.

Play that race card!

The actions of the students actually seemed like a joke; and a pretty decent one at that. I find it amusing that so many people got their feathers ruffled by someone who's actually from Africa being "nominated" for an African-American award.

Dapthar said:
Either they do not realize, or they do not care, that their actions are fostering prejudiced ideals.

Race-specific awards foster prejudiced ideals, as they emphasize differences rather than common ground.

I would assume that there is no equivalent award for non-black students, since none are mentioned. This fosters prejudice as well as hypocrisy.

Dapthar said:
Now, based on all this information, you wish to create an award that honors a student of European descent.

I'd rather get rid of race-specific awards altogether.

Dapthar said:
Do you not think that this award will only serve to further the prejudiced ideals of the vocal subset mentioned earlier?

No. If you allow race-specific awards for one group you must allow them for others. And I didn't notice anything particularly prejudiced about the "vocal subset mentioned earlier".

Dapthar said:
Do you not think people will attempt to degrade the "Distinguished African American Student Award" as a result, since it would only choose from approximately 70 students, while the "Alexander Hamilton Student Award" would select from a body of 1,773 students?

Tough shit. Maybe they should eliminate race-based awards altogether.

Dapthar said:
You must have a very limited definition of fairness to truthfully assert the above.

You must have a very limited definition of fairness to believe that non-black students should be deprived of their right to equal treatment simply because they are the numerical majority.

Dapthar said:
I'm glad that my post helped you to note some other aspects of the issue at hand.

I noted the aspect of hypocrisy.

Dapthar said:
Thank you.

You're quite welcome.

Dapthar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalaco
When I read the article I found myself not caring, then I read the response (see above).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalaco
That was a great break down, very thorough and insightful.

Thank you

oh the concurrence is at an all time high. It's just a shame that this post won't receive the proper interest and feedback it deserves. Even more melancholic is that most would have a hard time facing the reality of the situation.

Dapthar said:
A great deal of people, out of convenience, tend to believe that simply when an unjust practice based upon racial criterion is repealed, that people's prejudices vanish as well, which is obviously not the case.

A great deal of people, out of common sense, know that the best way to end discrimination is to enforce anti-discrimination laws rather than just focus the discrimination onto some other group.

Dapthar said:
Thus, the practice can still persist in a more covert manner.

As opposed to discriminatory affirmative action polices, which are openly practiced.

Dapthar said:
Furthermore, the consensus seems to be, with regards to issues of African-American slavery, that removal of the errant law is enough, and no reparation is in order.

I will happily pay a lump sum for every slave I've ever owned to every slave I've ever owned.

According to my calculations, I owe $0.00. Thank you, drive through.

Dapthar said:
To summarize, a horrid double standard is being used by those who wish to further their own agenda, and some of them make use of the guise of racial equality to do so, even though they readily attack the same reasoning when utilized by a group that they do not subscribe to.

Yes, the double standard is being used by those who promote discriminatory affirmative action policies under the guise of racial and gender equality.

Last edited:
Acid Cowboy said:
A great deal of people, out of common sense, know that the best way to end discrimination is to enforce anti-discrimination laws rather than just focus the discrimination onto some other group.

Well put. MLK could not have desired that an award be based on race. That is the opposite of what he preached.

Last edited:
I went to the bank to cash a check on Martin Luther King day. There was a sign on the front door of the bank stating that they would be closed to observe the MLK holiday. If he were to come back to life tommorow, I would shoot him again just for that.

Back