Curious: Where do atheists get their moral code?

coolsoldier

Registered Senior Member
Theists tend to get their information from the teachings of their respective religions and/or what they perceive to be the will of God. Where, then, to atheists get their moral code?

Note that I'm not trying specifically to to make a point here -- I'm genuinely curious.

(This thread might be miscategorized. I wasn't sure whether to put it in "Religion" or "Ethics Morality and Justice")

Addition:
The obvious answer would seem to be "from nature", but that doesn't really make much sense to me. The "natural" way would be to obey your every impulse, but that would make the following moral, which (I am making assumptions based on what I've read so far in sciforums) most atheists here believe it is not:

The Albuquerque Journal (Can't link to story, archives are subscriber-only) reported on Saturday:

Officials report that a 22-year-old man was booked into prison today with criminal penetration of a minor after being accused of sexually abusing a 4-month-old baby girl. <cut> The baby had been left with the man while the mother was at work, and the mother took the child to a doctor after discovering blood on the baby's diaper, where the doctor informed the mother that she had been sexually abused. Bernalillo county officials informed the Tribune that when questioned, He replied that he had "Drug issues, sexual issues".

Given that the man was following a natural impulse...

First of all, it is important to realise that religious people and atheists share many moral values. Atheists aren't naturally evil, despite what religious fundamentalists might like you to believe.

Second, you need to realise that humans have certain inbuilt instincts which are essentially genetic, just like all the other animals. These give everybody a common moral base.

At the cultural level, atheists get their moral codes from secular philosophies. For example, an atheist might be a utilitarian, who believes that moral actions lead to the greatest good for the greatest number. (There are many other, different philosophies.)

So, while a religious person might not act in an immoral way because he or she is afraid of offending or being punished by their god, an atheist avoids acts he or she considers immoral based on logical reasoning. Of course, all embedded moral positions become essentially a gut instinct kind of thing after a while. Most people stick to the same set of basic morals throughout their lives.

Coolsoldier,

Which atheists are you talking about? The serial rapist and murderer, or the Buddhist?

The only thing common between all atheists is that they lack a belief in a god or gods. It is not meaningful to try to group them together under any different category.

Atheism isn’t a belief system, doesn’t have any dogma or doctrines, or a particular moral system.

Each atheist is an individual and may well hold certain beliefs or maintain a particular moral code. You will have to ask each individual to obtain your answer, but note that you might obtain 1.2 billion different answers.

This question pops up at regular intervals. I'll go even farther than James: Atheists act morally for the EXACT same reasons as theists.

Man is a social animal; antisocial behaviour may give an immidiate benefit for the individual, but it is detrimental to society, whether a primitive tribe or a modern nation. For this reason, the tendency to act within the established morals of our society has been built into us by evolution.

The evidence for this is that morals and social behaviour predates theist religions. The notion that "God will punish you" is simply a rationalization introduced to explain the need for social conduct with the advent of theistic religions.

Hans

Originally posted by MRC_Hans
The evidence for this is that morals and social behaviour predates theist religions. The notion that "God will punish you" is simply a rationalization introduced to explain the need for social conduct with the advent of theistic religions.
Precisely.

Originally posted by MRC_Hans
This question pops up at regular intervals. I'll go even farther than James: Atheists act morally for the EXACT same reasons as theists.

Man is a social animal; antisocial behaviour may give an immidiate benefit for the individual, but it is detrimental to society, whether a primitive tribe or a modern nation. For this reason, the tendency to act within the established morals of our society has been built into us by evolution.

Of course. God created man with a moral conscience. The first of which was a moral obligation to his Creator and his fellows. As immorality and idolatry became more and more of a problem, religion (i.e. those who believe in God) started to address the problems. Since the beginning, man had been warned of the consequences.

originally posted by James R
Second, you need to realise that humans have certain inbuilt instincts which are essentially genetic, just like all the other animals. These give everybody a common moral base.
This is an oversimplification that makes "morality" almost redundant. Morality is first and foremost a rational enterprise.No amount of genetic programming will warn you against sleeping with your sister if you didn't know it was your sister.

Originally posted by Jenyar-of-the-70-Books
Of course. God created man with a moral conscience.
According to which version of Genesis? Or did you, perhaps, suck this trivia from one of the other 69 Books in your Septuagint?

Why Jenyar should not be allowed to have his own opinion on details which are not explicit in the scriptures..? Why should he be crucified to scriptures.? especially to the alleged 70-books..?:(

Originally posted by ConsequentAtheist
According to which version of Genesis? Or did you, perhaps, suck this trivia from one of the other 69 Books in your Septuagint?
So God cannot create a moral conscience, but evolution can? What are we now pitting our gods against each other?

God told A&E not to eat from that tree, because they will surely die. This is a comandment: a law. If A&E were able to discern what God said, they were able to follow it - and that is a moral prerogative. God had the moral prerogative to make the law, and A&E had the moral prerogative to follow it.

"Nothing is either right or wrong, but thinking makes it so" - Hamlet.

Traditionally morality is evolved behaviour, kept consistent for each species with natural selection.
Humans are a mish mash diverse group of possible routes the human species could have taken under normal conditions. This is because very limited and unordered selection is involved in their breeding.
Individuals who would starve, be preyed upon, die of thirst, die of disease, be killed by other individuals etc etc are protected, kept alive by society and allowed to breed.
We can see the physical diversity, look at the wide array of different looking people on earth, if people were culled by natural selection we would all look fairly similar. Not exactly the same, but close.
Appearance is but one of the aspects of an organism that evolves, every single thing about a person is an evolved trait, including the way their mind works. We have many different looking people and thus many different thinking people.
This is what brought on enforced moral codes, the many different people were understandably disagreeing so those in power made their set of beliefs the law, punishing those who were different, usually by death. It is as though natural selection was trying to force itself back into humans, but it failed to do so, because the overriding urge to survive combined with the natural human ability to reason forced humans to hide and repress their beliefs and behaviour out of fear.

Now it probably isn't a good idea to be like animals and follow you inbuilt moral code, chances are its defective. What are the odds of every single one of your ancestors surviving under natural conditions?
It is for this reason we see the individuals with the unsavoury impulses.

But at the same time there is no need to share the moral code of those that happened to be in power thousands of years ago(which is what religion based morality is, which is what society is still based on for some reason)
Well I suppose there is a need, the urge to be free accompanied with our ability to reason makes most of us, even atheists, basically follow this insultingly archaic moral code. We'll go to prison or possibly even die if we don't.

But my secret beliefs and secret moral code were designed consciously and purposefully by me with objective reasoning based on observing the real world and the knowledge of the nature of morality I gained from that.
Objective being the key, I had to enter this with no preconvieved ideas on what is right or wrong.
That means I started with neither thinking murder, rape, etc, etc were right or wrong.
It turned out to be far more complex than either of those answers.
But you just wanted to know where I got them from, not what they are so I'll save myself a shitload of typing and stop there.

It is as though natural selection was trying to force itself back into humans, but it failed to do so, because the overriding urge to survive combined with the natural human ability to reason forced humans to hide and repress their beliefs and behaviour out of fear.
You are contradicting yourself. Evolution cannot "enforce", because we are a product of it. "Fighting it" is therefore also an evolved trait - i.e. not accepting the law of death (natural selection), but fighting to live.

Now it probably isn't a good idea to be like animals and follow you inbuilt moral code, chances are its defective. What are the odds of every single one of your ancestors surviving under natural conditions?
If your reasoning is correct, it would have started out maladapted ("defective") and evolved to become well-integrated and "adapted" - i.e. from non-evolved into evolved. If we are what we are, it is because it has been made necessary by circumstances.

As Hans said: Man is a social animal... For this reason, the tendency to act within the established morals of our society has been built into us by evolution.

For the true evolutionist, we cannot enforce our moral standards against evolution, because we cannot act outside our evolved nature. "We are who we are, because we evolved to be who we are". There is no wrong way - natural selection and pressures deselect and breed out any "wrongness". We are now more "right" than we ever were, since there is no selective pressure that we can't overcome by reason alone. We don't have to develop long necks, because we can build ladders.

James R put it nicely: Second, you need to realize that humans have certain inbuilt instincts which are essentially genetic, just like all the other animals. These give everybody a common moral base.

The problem you have is that you don't really know where to let go of evolution, and where to hold on to what we have evolved into. Human laws or natural laws aren't compatible, because evidently every member the same species evolved in such a unique way that our genetic similarities don't ensure that "right" survives and "wrong" persishes by selective pressure alone - the two poles are "fighting" as Lou Natic put it.

I have no problem with a person taking either side, but you can only have both up to a certain point, and then you have to decide for youself whether you are going to "give in" to your selfish genetic nature, or fight it for the benefit of people who are different than you.

Curious: Where do atheists get their moral code?

From common sense, :p
Well, life lessons are taught to everyone. Besides, we have our laws, and stuff. Remember, state and religion are separate things.

And what is this "common" moral base?

Originally posted by Jenyar
You are contradicting yourself. Evolution cannot "enforce", because we are a product of it. "Fighting it" is therefore also an evolved trait - i.e. not accepting the law of death (natural selection), but fighting to live.
Yeah well its a pretty damn easy way to "fight for your survival" compared to what is traditionally asked of living organisms.
Sure the ability to lie is an evolved trait, but the protection one gets for lying is not an evolved trait. Its interference, and it results in breeding without any form of selection, well, I guess one form, might explain why people lie so much today huh?
There is nothing contradictory about what I'm saying its just more complex than you are assuming.

If your reasoning is correct, it would have started out maladapted ("defective") and evolved to become well-integrated and "adapted" - i.e. from non-evolved into evolved. If we are what we are, it is because it has been made necessary by circumstances.
Not necesarry, acceptable, not one trait is now considered defective as far as breeding goes. Its not necesarry to be incompetent, its just that you can be and get away with it so more and more people will be. I know what you are going to say "if they survive they are then considered competent" fine, but don't complain when they eat your baby alive. You deemed everyone so life worthy. Deal with the consequences.
The fact is, breeding without selection starts to degenerate the quality of the entire species over a period of time, maybe improve it in some cases as well, in our case it has basically shown us every where the species could have evolved.
Think of it mechanically, two people have 10 children, 8 die and only the fastest smartest strongest 2 survive to breed, over a long period this makes the species in general faster smarter and stronger. Now if all ten of those children survive and breed, the species is going nowhere and everywhere, its stagnant and starts to stink after a while.

The problem you have is that you don't really know where to let go of evolution, and where to hold on to what we have evolved into. Human laws or natural laws aren't compatible, because evidently every member the same species evolved in such a unique way that our genetic similarities don't ensure that "right" survives and "wrong" persishes by selective pressure alone - the two poles are "fighting" as Lou Natic put it.
Yes that is what happened, Why would you want to "hold onto" the disgrace we have become? We would be a more honest and dignified animal if we took on the behaviour of the dung beatle. We are the least admirable thing on earth. And I'm including parasites, cancer, the tetse fly and aids.

I have no problem with a person taking either side, but you can only have both up to a certain point, and then you have to decide for youself whether you are going to "give in" to your selfish genetic nature, or fight it for the benefit of people who are different than you.
Funny you say that, I consider living to benefit other human beings as flagrantly selfish.
Because to do that you have to ignore other species, it is giving yourself and your species an unfair advantage when all the odds are already in your favour. I guess its more the species acting selfish than the individual. Its funny how it works out, if all the members of a species go out of their way to be selfless and help eachother it in turn makes the species a selfish species.
A species that only cares about itself and doesn't care how its actions affect others.
Because that kind of teamwork will inevitably negatively effect all the other species, this unfortunate result we have seen.
And we rub it in, we are the only animal that takes without giving. This system everything but us plays by has little secrets most people don't know about. A termite colony might kill a tree to make its home, thats taking, but when it leaves, it leaves a whole suitable for a parrot family. Infact certain species of parrot evolved to exclusively live in these holes that termites make for them. Small example, you'll find everything fits in, except us. We'll take a tree, and make sure all of it goes to us. And then when we don't want the tree we'll burn it. We always seem to make sure we don't give back, its like a subconscious thing going on. We even keep our shit away from nature(who believe it or not could use it), we steal food off all the other animals, blatantly, and then we chase them off our trashcans where we store our leftovers, tightly wrapped in non-biodegradable plastic, to make sure no organic matter is wasted going where its supposed to:rolleyes:
I agree with the bible that humans are born sinners.

So which stance is truely selfish?
I can't consider a few individual humans as more comfort worthy than the millions of species are existence worthy.
Seems kind of ridiculous.
And I know how important the well being of that diverse array of species is to anything and everything that evolved here.
Its why natural selection is so genius, so genius to the point I worship it.
It keeps everyone "happy", they might not know they are happy, they might be getting mauled to death by a pack of wild dogs, but their species is happy because of it. Its like thousands of jesus', all dying for their species, over and over again in a long cycle of magnificence and improvement(except the improvement of comfort levels for individuals, which in itself is a selfish agenda)
Only these "jesus deaths" make sense in nature, when something dies by way of natural selection it really is dying for everything, it is dying for the spirit of its species. For its health, well being and longevity, in fact it is dying for the betterment of every species on earth.

What did jesus die for again? They never did make that clear..

Moral code is deeply ingrained into society and originated with religions. That's not to say that there were no 'natural' morals before religions came into existence, but, because religions have been around for millenia no one can honestly say that they haven't been affected by certain beliefs and practices derived from them.

Example:
I was born into a Christian Orthodox society. The people that brought me up must have instilled in me certain codes that were natural to them in accordance with their society and religion.

As I grew up, I questioned the existence of God and became agnostic. In my 30's I experienced a brief spell as 'born again' Christian and then I became a proper atheist. But I still maintain certain morals; they are not original, I didn't create them, they were handed down to me and I choose, which ones I live by.

Morality is simply a question of what is good and what is bad. At its basic level the issue is entirely about survival.

The problem is choosing what is good and what is bad. Different people will have different values and what is considered good by one person might be bad for someone else. That raises two considerations, (1) personal morality, and (2) social morality.

In (1) a person will choose what he thinks is good for himself. Unfortunately that could result in someone claiming that robbing and murdering others for their own survival is morally good. Yet another might decide that sex is disgusting and that celibacy is the only correct action. Either extreme would be seriously harmful for societies were such ideas to become commonplace.

In (2), social morality, which is what we generally consider, we have the problem of finding agreement by everyone. The object here is to allow maximum individual freedoms that do not impose on the freedoms of others. But letting everyone define their own is not going to work as we see in (1). Religions attempt to solve this by introducing the concept of absolute morality where the rules are not defined by man but by a higher power superior to man and hence beyond reproach. The trouble here is that there are no such higher powers and so the resultant moral code is written by men in authority who claim divine guidance. The results as we see from history are tyrannical authoritarian institutions, e.g. Christianity, Islam, Judaism.

The quest for absolute morality must fail simply because there is no higher power and people do have different values. The practical solution which most modern societies adopt is where a broad set of guidelines are introduced enforced by some degree of authority. We see these things as a constitution and law. Within these umbrella frameworks people are then permitted to follow their own personal moral codes giving rise to healthy variations in any given society. This works fine providing everyone agrees to some level of tolerance for differing values.

But such arrangements are constantly under threat by religious institutions who believe their values are superior to regular constitution and the rule of law. Keeping the two forces separate is essential if personal freedoms and personal liberties are to be maintained. The greatest problem with religious morality is that such rules will have been established in ancient times when values were even more different to modern society.

my parents and nature around me. essentially they're christian based but they're wider, have more depth and generally do me better because i don't cross them when something happens to cross my beliefs, at which stage i hold onto my morals instead of completely disregarding them (unlike most theist i know).

Back