Cure or preventions for Alzheimer's disease

bananas

Registered Member
I'm really interested in learning some possible cures or preventive measures that can be taken for Alzheimer's disease.

As far as preventive measures go, I've heard of large vitamin intake, eating blueberries, cooked vegetables, doing exercises, crossword puzzles and other mental stimulation. However, these are just general factors that can be helpful to one's wellness in general and there hasn't exactly been substantial scientific evidence backing up either of them.
What are some more novel ways that may have the potential to prevent or even better a possible cure for Alzheimer's?

Scientific sources are welcome but so are general ideas off the web.

smokers don't get Alzheimer.

Wow I just googled that to see if my statement was true . A study in the 90s says I am and that was the one I based my answer off of . Now there is a study by Kaiser my old Hospital that fixed my broken right arm when I was 13 Halloween day, that one came out in 2010 that says a smokers chance of getting Alzheimer is increased 157% . I think they are trying to get me to quit .

Fuck em . They are not my Dad , Besides that my Dad couldn't get Me to stop

Last edited:
@Me-Ki-Gal: you know, I think I read about a study that said that nicotine may be able to reduce the risk of getting Alzheimer's. However, it's not really validated yet, and I think the study was funded by a cigarette company.
The health risks of smoking also seem to outweigh any benefits it may confer against Alz disease.

Namenda is a medication that is being used today. They can only slow the progression down but not cure it yet.

Cinnamon has some remarkable properties, Science is only just discovering.

The researchers isolated CEppt by grinding cinnamon and extracting the substance into an aqueous buffer solution. They then introduced this solution into the drinking water of mice that had been genetically altered to develop an aggressive form of Alzheimer's disease, and fruit flies that had been mutated with a human gene that also stimulated Alzheimer's disease and shortened their lifespan.

After four months, the researchers discovered that development of the disease had slowed remarkably and the animals' activity levels and longevity were comparable to that of their healthy counterparts. The extract, explains Prof. Ovadia, inhibited the formation of toxic amyloid polypeptide oligomers and fibrils, which compose deposits of plaque found in the brains of Alzheimer's patients.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/06/110627123144.htm

Scientists are still studying how plaques and tangles are related to Alzheimer’s disease. One theory is that they block nerve cells’ ability to communicate with each other, making it difficult for the cells to survive.

Lifestyle Factors: Although age and family history are out of our control, scientists have also identified several lifestyle factors that can influence a person’s risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease. A connection has been found between serious head injury and future development of Alzheimer’s, so those who practice safety measures such as wearing seat belts and not engaging in activities where there is a high risk of falling are at an advantage.
Evidence is also mounting for the promotion of exercise and a healthy diet to reduce Alzheimer’s risk. Avoiding tobacco, limiting alcohol consumption, staying socially active, and engaging in intellectually stimulating activities have also been shown to have a protective effect against Alzheimer’s disease.

Finally, there is a strong link between heart health and brain health. Those who are free of heart disease or related conditions are at a lower risk of developing Alzheimer’s or another kind of dementia than those who have cardiovascular problems.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...wdzQAw&usg=AFQjCNGKBq8PRvS4IKOpJOUTReP6Et_Ssw

Thanks everyone for the comments so far! The coffee idea seems pretty interesting, since I thought caffeine mostly had negative effects on the body.

I came across this interesting idea that sleep deprivation increases the risk for Alzheimer's. Here is the article: nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_116958.html

Does anyone know/can find if this is a relatively new subject? Are there any publications on this area of research that are earlier than the article I posted?

I have another difficult question :p

Are the incidences of Alzheimer's generally higher or lower among populations in rural areas versus urban areas?

I'm not sure if there have been many studies about this, but I think this subject would be really interesting to build upon if any results were found out.

Well, There are several ways to help alzheimers, but they exsit to be behaviors that preformed routinely, as a daily practice in food intake.

Generally oral intake meathods foods, natural herbs or even prescription medications require time to gain results.

1.) a daily coffee intake of one cup.

2.) a daily intake of Vitamin E.

Vitamin E has been determined by trials to stop and halt the progession of Alzhemimers in the elderly but is not a cure for the problem. This has been discovered by a german woman conducting test on eldery german patients.
Vitamin E generally shows good healing ability as a common practice of its use, and societies that have a consumtpion of vitamin e within the daily diet show good resilence in cell life.

Coffee allows a stimulus which is nessacary for growth and repair of the bodie. probally showing improvements in short term memory.

DwayneD.L.Rabon

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/06/110621093301.htm
coffeecoffeecoffeecoffee!!!WHEEE!
:xctd:

From what I've read though, exercise, a good diet, and not smoking are the best preventives.

unfortunatly not or at least not good enough. Terry practchett has alzheimer's and he DEFINITLY uses his brain.

I have herd of early stage resurch suggesting canabis MAY (i stress MAY this is early resurch) help break down the plaques

I'm wondering if the plaques are the same as the ones that build up in our arteries and veins?:shrug: If so then any medication that can dissolve the arterial plaques can also be used with the brain types as well.:itold:

I'm wondering if the plaques are the same as the ones that build up in our arteries and veins?:shrug: If so then any medication that can dissolve the arterial plaques can also be used with the brain types as well.:itold:

no, however that CAN happen. However thats not alzhemiers, it a cause of stroke

unfortunatly not or at least not good enough. Terry practchett has alzheimer's and he DEFINITLY uses his brain.
Yes, but I don't think Terry exercises much (considering his absolutely gargantuan literary output) and he smokes.
Yes, I'm going to miss him too.:bawl:
As far as I know, there's no current way to reduce your risk to nothing.
Reducing risk is as good as it gets.
Douglas Adams (Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy) was a health nut.
Dropped dead of a heart attack on a gym treadmill.
:shrug:

No way to completely eliminate risk for anything; we all just play the averages.

..and that is what I do.

Dementias, like stroke, heart problems and cancer are all amenable to some extent or another to some common sense measures. (Off the top of my head, no links or citations but from memory of stuff that has affected my personal regimen) :

Daily strenuous aerobic exercise can reduce your odds of getting Alzheimer's and Parkinson's by about 50% (I think it was more like 48% and 62%). Eating a well balanced diet low in saturated fats with sufficient omega 3 fats, high in vegetables, fruits and whole grains cut that another 50%. Brain exercises may help...a little bit, but not much.

Yeah, cannabis is supposed to help dissolve beta amylid plaques..I think it was by stimulating the production of acetocolinesterase. It is supposed to stop general inflammation of the brain organ and slow/reduce neuronal apoptosis as well as stimulating the production of neuronal stem cells in the adult hippocampus. I have a paper stashed somewhere about that, the US federal govt put dibs on its use by EMP first responders for that purpose, to reduce swelling damage in closed head injuries.

At any rate, chronic inflammation has been identified as at least partially responsible for all of these conditions as well as atherosclerotic plaque formation that leads to heart attack and some strokes as well as many cancers.

No, exercising and eating healthy does not guarantee that you will not get any of this bad stuff, but it can help you curb the odds in your favour, and that is good enough for me.

The Wisconsin nun study showed that a ritualistic, simple lifestyle with regular scheduled daily activities in a very limited environment with a well - developed sense of serenity could completely hide the stigmata of Alzheimer's. Even nuns with very advanced Alzheimer's replete with a lot of brain damage showed no outward signs of the dementia. The presence of the disease was found upon autopsy after death.

Back