Cure for type 1 diabetes?

lucifers angel

same shit, differant day!!
Registered Senior Member
A pioneering transplant treatment for people suffering the worst effects of type 1 diabetes was approved for use on NHS patients yesterday, encouraging doctors who are developing the technique to talk of an eventual cure. Health ministers said they would fund six centres to inject pancreas cells into diabetes patients' livers, stimulating the production of insulin.

About 250,000 people across Britain have type 1 diabetes, a condition often diagnosed in childhood and unconnected to the individual's weight or lifestyle. It develops when the body cannot produce the natural hormone insulin. Most manage the condition with daily insulin injections, exercise and a careful diet. But hundreds of people risk blackouts and hospital admission because they cannot detect any early warning signals that blood sugar levels are getting dangerously low.

Research funded by the charity Diabetes UK has identified a transplant procedure, which can take just 45 minutes, to inject cells from the islets of Langerhans tissue, a hormone-producing cluster in the pancreas, which can be extracted from a dead donor. The islets include beta cells which make insulin. Once injected, they allow the recipient to live a healthy life with fewer or no injections.

Islet transplantation is regarded by the government as a suitable alternative to whole-organ pancreas transplants because it is less invasive and can be considered for patients with cardiac disease who would be unfit for open surgery.

Diabetes UK said charities had funded 12 islet transplants over six years. Funding approved by the government yesterday will increase the rate to 20 in the first year, rising to about 80 in subsequent years. Eventually, about 2,500 people at risk of hypoglycaemic attack may benefit from the technique.

The health minister, Ann Keen, said: "In developing islet transplants ... the NHS is at the forefront of worldwide clinical innovation. This programme will ensure that people who have been unable to treat hypoglycaemia with conventional therapies will benefit from significant improvements to their quality of life."

From April the government will fund two islet isolation laboratories, one run jointly by King's College and the Royal Free hospitals in London, and the other by Oxford Radcliffe hospitals. The transplants will be performed at six hospitals in London, Oxford, Newcastle, Bristol and Manchester. A separate centre may open in Edinburgh next year.

The chief executive of Diabetes UK, Douglas Smallwood, said: "The department's decision to fund this programme will be life-changing for some people who suffer from the most serious effects of hypoglycaemia. Resolving the worst cases could save the NHS a significant amount of money, as hypoglycaemic attacks cost £15m a year in hospitalisations and ambulances alone."

The technique was pioneered in Canada and developed in London by a multidisciplinary team at King's College hospital.

---------------------------------

i appreciate that people have been saying this same thing for years, but wouldnt it be amazing if they could cure type 1 diabetes? just think about all those people who go into diabetic comas, that would be such good news for them, and they're families.

---------------------------

your thoughts?

I have very high cholesterol (over 300), and I am quite scared for my health. I've tried to take low cholesterol foods, but I want no cholesterol at all until I get back down to a healthy number. Though I believe in moderation, but considering the number I have got, may be I am on the right track. So, can anyone tell me about some no-cholesterol, no-saturated fat foods?

your thoughts?

It’s great news that a less invasive treatment is becoming more routinely available. But I presume this technique still suffers from the primary problem that whole organ transplants suffer from, namely you need a compatible dead donor and the recipient requires immunosuppressant medication for the rest of their life. :shrug:

So, can anyone tell me about some no-cholesterol, no-saturated fat foods?

Perhaps a dedicated nutrition forum would provide better advice? There's lots of them out there. I hope you’ve seen a doctor – you may require medication to manage your cholesterol levels.

Health ministers said they would fund six centres to inject pancreas cells into diabetes patients' livers, stimulating the production of insulin.
This piques my curiousity, and I wonder if it's a mistake on the part of the reporter. Taking pancreas cells and injecting them into the liver of the patient?

Initially I would have said that it’s certainly a mistake by the journalist and that the donor cells are transplanted into the pancreas of the patient. But a quick search on the subject revealed this....

Before the transplant, islet cells are collected from a donor pancreas. A catheter is inserted into the patient's abdomen and threaded into the portal vein, which carries blood to the liver. Then a teaspoonful of islet cells is injected through the catheter.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/videos/2005/1010-insulin_independence.htm (See also http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/02/050222191610.htm)

So now I’m not so sure. :confused: Maybe the transplanted islet cells circulate through the blood until they reach the pancreas? Unfortunately I don’t have time right now to investigate this any further.

Interestingly, there have been some indications that donor islet cells can come from a living donor (http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/23068.php) and that insulin-producing cells can arise from run-of-the mill epithelial tissue in the pancreas rather than having to specifically isolate islet cells (http://www.nature.com/nm/journal/v12/n3/full/nm0306-273.html). These advances would greatly increase the potential of this transplantation therapy for diabetes.

Back