Cryptozoology --

Caleb

Redeemed
Registered Senior Member
-- The search for animals previously unknown to science, or currnetly thought extinct.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

~Caleb

I was actually out to make a joke

But it fell through because I'm too lazy to do a harder search. Actually, I have to be out the door in an hour, so ...

But anyway, I was going to say that if you draw a lot of cartoons, you can have a species named after you, but the Gary Larson search fell through, leading me to this article about Michael Crichton, with mention of Larson's tick: http://www.forbes.com/2000/12/01/1201faces.html

But I'm hoping to find some comment more useful than that by the time I return on Sunday.

peace,
Tiassa :cool:

I have got an animal. Has anyone heard of the Tasmanian Tiger or the other name for it the thylacene (don't get mixed up with Warner Brothers Tazmanian Devil, that is another animal that is still alive).

The last one died in captivity during the 60's I think. However, there have been sightings of it elsewhere, I think on the Australian mainland. This is one creature that would refer to cryptozoology. They (the government or the Australian CSIRO or something) has been thinking about cloning a preserved pup contained in a glass jar of alcohol for a while with its preserved DNA. But I don't know if thats going ahead or not.

Also, just as America has big foot and Europe has the yeti. Australia has its own creature that people say they have seen or exists. The Aborigines also have stories about that creature, but I just can't think of the name right now. I think it starts with 'y' but not too sure.

What you read in Zoology is mostly written by European/US scientists. There are plenty of Flora & Fauna that has not been catloged in India, Nepal, and the vicinity (I am sure, same is true in Africa).

When I was growing up, my Dad was helping the Indo-British groups to catlog species in the dense forests of mid-east India. My understanding is that some of the areas are so difficult to get at that no civilized human has ever set foot for hundreds of years. Which means, there may be stuff that is unknown to us.

I can not for the life of me remember the name of that fish that was brung up in a net by some fishermen in the 60's (I think). Began with a C. Something like Corenith (I'm sure that's not right) Then there was the Megashark. Both were thought to be extinct. But there they are. Still living in the depths of the ocean. So what else is to be found just there? We don't get to see much to the areas away from the populations. So a lot of it is still up for spectulation. The sky or the ocean or the unhabitated areas are still there. We just have to get there and look around.

Coelocanth (SEE-low-kanth)

And there are more than just sea species. There is a lizard-like, non-lizard reptile called the Tuatara that was though to be extinct till it was found in New Zealand.

~Caleb

Thank you Caleb, now that I see it in print, that is indeed it. I had not heard of the Tuatara.

Taken from Encarta encyclopedia

Tuatara, common name for two species of lizardlike reptiles, the only surviving species of an order that flourished about 200 million years ago during the Jurassic period. Tuataras are found only on about 30 islands off the coast of New Zealand. Stocky and big-headed with a strong tail and a spiny crest down the back, they differ from lizards in having a complete lower temporal arch on the skull behind the eye. Tuataras may grow to a length of about 60 cm (about 24 in), usually taking 20 years to reach maturity. They are solitary, burrowing reptiles, feeding mostly at night on insects, lizards, snails, and bird chicks and eggs.

Scientific classification: Tuataras make up the genus Sphenodon of the family Sphenodontidae, order Rhynchocephalia. They are classified as Sphenodon punctatus and Sphenodon guntheri.

T025392A.JTN

Last edited:
Back