creative property rights

L

laughing weasel

Should second party vendors be allowed to edit a work without violating copy right? Isn’t there a company out there selling popular films that have been cleansed for conservative values by removing all nudity and profanity. I am technically altering content when I tivo through a commercial. If it is ok to remove profanity is it ok to edit and rearrange the film to your hearts content? What rights does the creator of a product retain after he has sold the product?

The user has a right to fast-forward through any video they choose. Rolling through commercials on Tivo is an issue of Tivo's, as the broadcast is a property of whatever network. As to the films, however, the product is the final cut according to the director, and the director must authorize all other versions of the movie (e.g. television and airline versions). In the case of censoring blockbusters to make them more "family oriented", such a bowdlerized film would constitute a separate product altogether, and is unauthorized by the director.

It's part of a general trend of social inclusion. Listen to "Christian music". Let's see ... Stryper, Michael W. Smith, Petra, D.C. Talk, and dozens I thankfully don't remember. There was a common aspect to them beyond their shared confessions of faith: they sucked. How stupid was it to hear KISS singing, "God made rock and roll for you"? That's what it's like listening to Stryper sing, "Youuuu make my life complete". It's a great love song, but like the South Park joke, it sounds like the Sweet brothers are in love with Jesus.

The problem with all of them is that they are essentially "uncool" ideas trying to be "cool". It's socially traumatizing to be left out, so Christian youth need heavy metal, and punk, and rap in order to feel similarly cool. But of course, you can't play, "We Want Some P@ssy!" at church, so you get the tubs over in D.C. Talk to be so real. It's ... sad. It's really sad to witness.

And that's what it is with these bowdlerized movies. People want to feel included, but they don't feel they should have to share the experience that includes them. They want the social inclusion of having seen the film, but don't want to subject themselves to the full alienation of the cinematic experience.°

I kind of understand the idea that when you sit down with the kids in front of TV dinners to watch Monday Night Football, you don't want to see Desperate Housewives. But if you want to say you saw Eyes Wide Shut, well, that's your problem. But once you've chosen to undertake that problem, you're not getting the full experience if someone's fast-forwarded through the allegedly sexy parts for you.

Imagine the Bible without the sex and violence.

° inclusion/alienation - It's not a contradiction: a common theme in modern American pop art is to bond the audience together by alienating them; see Seinfeld, for instance. The flip-side of that coin can be seen in pop music, which often poises an "us" of impulsive youth against a "them" of conformist culture. Disparate consciences come together under the banner of feeling rejected, challenged, or oppressed. Perhaps Americans are finally ready to laugh sympathetically, and not condescendingly, at a classic Monty Python skit about embarrassing words and sounds.

Back