creation\evolution

Asguard

Kiss my dark side
Valued Senior Member
ok i just read a very intreresting post in religion

it was saying there is no evidance to surport evolution and it boils down to be the aithists genises story

so if we take away genises and evolution what have we got left for how we came to be??

i surpose there is alian intervention but how did the alians come to be

i have herd a theory about interstella contamination but i dont know much about it

is that what we have left?

is there any other theorys?

or if we take away evolution ARE we left with genises????

that is something i have never belived in cause i have always felt science could explain stuff better but it seems that science is at a loss for how we exist

How we exist? It's a funny contradiction, actually, the prime theory to explain the origination of life, either from space or on earth.

You see, a few centuries ago people used to think that mice came from hay. Not that they bred there, but that when you left hay in a barn, there would be mice. This is true to some extent, but we now know that when you put two mice together you get more mice, instead of just hay. Only an example, it sounds crazy, and old fashioned.

But I've been taught by multiple teachers that all of the violent reactions going on during the beginning of our planet fused amino acids together into proteins, and from there, after a few million years, we got life. This is in stark contrast to everything we've been taught about evolution, about breeding and genetics, that organic life that carries on life processes (eating, breeding, respirating etc etc) can come from, well, the elements Carbon Hydrogen Nitrogen Oxygen Potassium and Sulfur, the last two not as common as the first four.

We call these elements CHNOPS.

So, in my opinion, creationism should not be ruled out completely as a way to explain only the origination of life on earth and possibly the throngs of life that exist elsewhere in our near infinite universe. The idea that man and the animals of the current age came from god at once ten thousand years ago is ludicrous, but it isn't as extraordinary to think that something supernatural created life. It's more or less the easy way out to explain how life began, but it still must be considered an option, as much as I'd hate to admit.

Now, how do I think life originated?

My belief, as of now, is that life is part of the universe, as prolific as the elements, as the physical laws that bind everything the way it is, as natural as supernova or planet formation. It is simply there, just like the universe, just like your very existence and the fact that you are sitting in your computer chair reading this. It may seem simple, but when you have CHNOPS, you get life, because sooner or later it just happens and combines together, because that is a natural part of the universe. If they are there the process WILL occur, and eventually prokaryote life will begin.

Gyad I hope I had my facts right....this is all from memory.....

It's not pertinent to compare creationism and evolution. They are 2 different things, evolution being a natural phenomenum (and as a natural phenomenum, accessible to scientific analyses) and creationism a religious belief (no beliefs are accessible to scientific analyses) and as such, carries no more validity than an assertion that there are undetectable pink elephants orbiting the earth.

Also, evolution does not explain the origin of life, only the diversity of life once originated.

I am not surprised to hear that there is misinformation regarding evolution posted on the religion message board. There is multitudinous evidence for evolution.

Christianity is infamous in its attempts to stifle science. Only a little more than 400 years ago Galileo was censured by the church for teaching that the sun was the center of the solar system.

Only 60 or so years ago a school teacher, right here in America!, was brought to trial for teaching evolution.

Religion is not science and religions should not be determining scientific education or policy nor interpreting scientific investigation.

Finally, there's lots of information on the scientific investigations ongoing in the search for life origins. You could start with Woese and his group to learn more.

You see, a few centuries ago people used to think that mice came from hay. Not that they bred there, but that when you left hay in a barn, there would be mice.
Thank Pasteur!!! If wasn't for him, we might still believe spontaneous generation really happen in real life.

I am not surprised to hear that there is misinformation regarding evolution posted on the religion message board. There is multitudinous evidence for evolution.
Most "non-science" people in this world comment about science without knowing what they are really talking about, as if merely speaking about them can make them as intelligent as Newton.

But let us not say that their view is wrong, everyone of us has a reality generating mechanism, we see one truth and not the other.

They have their own truths. While we may think theirs irrelevant, ours is stranger than fiction to them. Don't forget, the idea of evolution is a relatively new one, compared to the whole god creating everything idea, which has been around for at least 2000 years, and probably a lot longer than that.

i apoligise

i was lasy and it led people to dismiss this thread

i shall post the reply i am talking about and u can explaine to me how it is religiouse bull shit

By secretasianman

Okay, let me get it straight - you're asking what objections Christians have against atheists? Am I hopelessly tired, or are you just bored? And btw, I hope I didn't come off as arrogant in that last post or in here.
I'll pretend there was an actual question in there - as far as objecting to evolution "proves" Genesis false or whatever-it-was, there was an interesting, though brief slideshow at a Friday bible study I went to once which offered some interesting evidence against Darwinism about "irreducibly complex systems". Here's the meat of it, more at absk.org under the "recent FAQs" section.

Darwin conceded himself about the potential downfall of his theory in The Origin of Species:

“If it could be demonstrated that any complex organ existed which could not possibly have been formed by numerous, successive, slight modifications, my theory would absolutely break down.”

Darwin understood that if his theory would ever be accepted, he had to show that evolution could create complex organs like the eye in a step-by-step process.

It would have seemed like an end to Darwin’s career, but he cleverly defended his theory.
He defended his theory NOT by presenting a real pathway that evolution might have used to create the eye, but by pointing to living animals with different kinds of eyes (ranging from the simple to the complex) and suggesting a similar, possible sequence of development.

SLIDE 8: A Proposal for the Progression of Eye Development

It is important to understand what Darwin actually said and what he did not say. Again, he did not provide any evidence (experimental or historical) for a pathway for the development of a complex organ like the eye. Nor did he offer an answer as to how the most primitive light-sensitive cells (presumably the starting point of eye development) came in the first place.

He only pointed to a series of already existing types of eyes and hypothesized that evolution could have proceeded through such a sequence of increasing complexity.

Little did people know back then how complex even the simple “eyespot” of a planarian (a kind of flatworm) is.

Though Darwin never really answered the question of complex organs, his arguments were plausible enough to satisfy his supporters and take the punch out of his critics.

SLIDE 9: The Advent of Biochemistry

But with the advent and progress of modern biochemistry in the latter half of the 20th century, it’s been increasingly more difficult to support the kind of bold and assertive assumptions Darwin made.

Why?

Because when you examine life at the so-called “nuts and bolts” level—at the cellular and molecular level—you find it’s full of complex systems that could not have ever come about by “numerous, successive, slight modifications” over time.

SLIDE 10: Irreducible Complexity

These complex systems are what’s called IRREDUCBLY COMPLEX systems, which describes any system composed of multiple well-matched, interacting parts that contribute to a basic function, wherein the removal of any one of the parts causes the system to effectively cease functioning.

This concept is best understood by an illustration. Let me show you…

SLIDE 11: Example of an Irreducibly Complex System

Here is a common mousetrap. This is an example of an irreducibly complex system. How so?

Identify parts and coordinated functions of each…

Here are some key points to notice:
- For this device to function properly, all the parts must first be there at the same time.
- All the parts must work together in a highly coordinated and interrelated fashion. For example, the hammer cannot be attached to the end of the holding bar.
- No single part in and of itself has any function apart
- The system has Zero function only until all the parts exist in just the right manner.

SLIDE 12: Some Irreducibly Complex Biological Systems

And Irreducibly complex biological systems like those that produce vision, blood clotting or an immune response are far more complex than any mechanical system.

SLIDE 13: Bacterial Flagellum

Even the “simplest” cell, a bacterium, is full of an array of irreducibly complex systems. Here is the whip-like “tail” that some bacteria use to move around.

SLIDE 14: Challenges to Darwinian Evolution

By definition, it is impossible for Irreducibly complex systems to be produced by the step-by-step accumulation of mutations. It’s an all or nothing kind of thing. Either the system works or it doesn’t.

Natural selection can only select for functioning systems that already exist, not “to-be-completed” systems.

SLIDE 15: A Theory in Crisis

Biochemistry has exposed the utter inadequacy Darwinian evolution to explain how complex molecules came to be.

There are some evolutionists who concede this problem.

Dr. Colin Patterson, Sr. Paleontologist at the British Museum of Natural History (the mother of all Natural History museums) has this to say:

"One of the reasons I started taking this anti-evolutionary view, was ... it struck me that I had been working on this stuff for twenty years and there was not one thing I knew about it. That's quite a shock to learn that one can be so misled so long. ...so for the last few weeks I've tried putting a simple question to various people and groups of people. Question is: Can you tell me anything you know about evolution, any one thing that is true? I tried that question on the geology staff at the Field Museum of Natural History and the only answer I got was silence. I tried it on the members of the Evolutionary Morphology Seminar in the University of Chicago, a very prestigious body of evolutionists, and all I got there was silence for a long time and eventually one person said, 'I do know one thing -- it ought not to be taught in high school'."

Dr. Patterson was not misinterpreting the evidence through a narrow, religious lens, but objectively, as a scientist and evolutionist.

SLIDE 17: An Experience that Blew My Evolutionary Sock Off!

At a national meeting of the Society of Integrative and Comparative Biology in Boston a few years back, I had the opportunity to hear Professor Lynn Margulis, a giant in the field of evolution for her endo-symbiosis theory, give the plenary session lecture along with the late Stephen J. Gould. I will never forget what I heard her say and the response of the audience (a hotel conference room with a over a thousand professors, researchers and graduate students).

She said that “history will ultimately judge neo-Darwinism as “a minor twentieth-century religious sect within the sprawling religious persuasion of Anglo Saxon biology.”

SLIDE 18: Another Experience that Blew My Other Evolutionary Sock Off!

To my utter amazement, she also issued a direct challenge to anyone in the room to site her one example of a single, unambiguous example of a new species being created by the accumulation of mutations. I looked back from the where I was sitting and just saw blank faces. There was complete silence. She went on to say that proponents of the textbook orthodoxy of Neo-Darwinism, “wallow in their zoological, capitalistic, competitive, cost-benefit interpretation of Darwin—having mistaken him… Neo-Darwinism, which insists on (the slow accrual of mutations), is in a complete funk.” Ouch.

Why the unflinching confidence in Darwinian evolution by most scientists? It is because there simply isn’t any better explanation—unless of course you start to consider the possibility of an Intelligent Designer. But to infer design is to infer a Designer and that is not the kind of conclusions science likes to make.

SLIDE 18: Evolution’s Philosophical Underpinnings

Science has an a priori commitment to methodological naturalism.

Philosophical naturalism functions as a filter to determine what even qualifies as data.

With this kind of philosophical framework that defines what is and is not plausible, there simply cannot be any other explanation other than a natural one. Everything must be attributable to some physical law or phenomena. That is the dogma.

Evolution turns out to be bad science because interpretations and conclusions aren’t based on the weight of the evidence but on a bias toward philosophical naturalism.

SLIDE: 19: Conclusion

- Evolution attempts to explain how life and the cosmos came to be by purely natural, physical and purposeless forces but does so a priori— i.e., It is first assumed that there can only be a natural answer and then the data is interpreted to fit that conclusion.

- Evolution really just turns out to be the atheist’s own creation story.

- The existence of irreducibly complex systems at the biochemical level of life poses a serious challenge to Darwinian evolution as a viable theory to explain the origin and development of life.

reply to Hevene and Pollux V

Hevene said, "But let us not say that their view is wrong, everyone of us has a reality generating mechanism, we see one truth and not the other."

I never said they were wrong. My point is that their point of view is NOT science but a belief and hence has no more validity than my pink elephant example.

AND Pollux V said,
"They have their own truths. While we may think theirs irrelevant, ours is stranger than fiction to them. Don't forget, the idea of evolution is a relatively new one, compared to the whole god creating everything idea, which has been around for at least 2000 years, and probably a lot longer than that."

I don't know how you define truth, but to me belief is not truth. So, when you say, "They have their own truths," that means to me that they have their own beliefs, which is fine, but their beliefs have nothing to do with reality, unlike evolution which is a natural phenomenum like light, gravity, etc.

Also, the length of time an idea is believed has nothing to do with its validity. People believed the Earth was flat much longer than we knew that it was spherical.

As for the little slide show presented by secretasianman, it's full of crap and shows how easy it is to mislead people. The role of religion in this instance is to trick people into believing in God by hiding truths, which to me is completely unethical.

There are some evolutionists who concede this problem.

Dr. Colin Patterson, Sr. Paleontologist at the British Museum of Natural History (the mother of all Natural History museums) has this to say:

"One of the reasons I started taking this anti-evolutionary view, was ... it struck me that I had been working on this stuff for twenty years and there was not one thing I knew about it. That's quite a shock to learn that one can be so misled so long. ...so for the last few weeks I've tried putting a simple question to various people and groups of people. Question is: Can you tell me anything you know about evolution, any one thing that is true? I tried that question on the geology staff at the Field Museum of Natural History and the only answer I got was silence. I tried it on the members of the Evolutionary Morphology Seminar in the University of Chicago, a very prestigious body of evolutionists, and all I got there was silence for a long time and eventually one person said, 'I do know one thing -- it ought not to be taught in high school'."

Dr. Patterson was not misinterpreting the evidence through a narrow, religious lens, but objectively, as a scientist and evolutionist.

Patterson Misquoted

unethical, unscrupulous, fraudulent..............

<i>Because when you examine life at the so-called “nuts and bolts” level—at the cellular and molecular level—you find it’s full of complex systems that could not have ever come about by “numerous, successive, slight modifications” over time.</i>

Such as?

<i>By definition, it is impossible for Irreducibly complex systems to be produced by the step-by-step accumulation of mutations.</i>

Yes, by definition. That's what "irreducibly complex" means. No living system is irreducibly complex though.

<i>Biochemistry has exposed the utter inadequacy Darwinian evolution to explain how complex molecules came to be.</i>

Perhaps that's because Darwinian evolution doesn't even attempt to address that question. It's outside the theory.

<i>Why the unflinching confidence in Darwinian evolution by most scientists? It is because there simply isn’t any better explanation—unless of course you start to consider the possibility of an Intelligent Designer. But to infer design is to infer a Designer and that is not the kind of conclusions science likes to make.</i>

Science would be quite happy to draw that conclusion if there were any evidence in favour of it.

<i>Evolution turns out to be bad science because interpretations and conclusions aren’t based on the weight of the evidence but on a bias toward philosophical naturalism.</i>

False.

+++++Here is a common mousetrap. This is an example of an irreducibly complex system. How so?

Identify parts and coordinated functions of each…

Here are some key points to notice:
- For this device to function properly, all the parts must first be there at the same time.
- All the parts must work together in a highly coordinated and interrelated fashion. For example, the hammer cannot be attached to the end of the holding bar.
- No single part in and of itself has any function apart
- The system has Zero function only until all the parts exist in just the right manner. +++++

the eye, the eye...how the creationists love the eye. It must be the most often used example mentioned by the creationist to debunk evolution...

but what about the eye? I'm going to recapitulate a bit from 'climbing mount improbable' by richard dawkins.

we know it evolved at least 40 times, indepently in different members of the animal kingdom. This tells us that it is actually not that difficult to evolve an eye. There seem to be about 9 basic eyetypes.

for the eye it has been shown with simulations that it is possible to go from simple to complex eye with small incremental steps. Nilson and pelger did an estimation on how many evolutionary small steps it would take to evolve a good fish eye with lens out of a flat layer of photo cells, sitting on a black screen and topped by a flat layer of transparent tissue. They estimated it would take 364.000 generations if they used pessimistic parameters. For small animals with a generation time of less than a year this would have meant about half a million years in real time. That's nothing on a geological timescale. Apparently there was enough time.

- The system has Zero function only until all the parts exist in just the right manner.

not quite true...an simple eye with a very crude lense is still better than one without. Say the crude lense improves eyesight with 1% (or .0001%). It is still better than without.

Nilsson and Pelger (1994) 'A pessimistic estimate of the time required for an eye to evolve.' Proceedings of the royal society of London, B, 256, 53-58.

horse.gif

Last edited:
Back