cracking knuckles

scifes

In withdrawal.
Valued Senior Member
what's the sound you hear when you crack your knuckles?

and how unhealthy is it? if at all?

It makes me cringe. I have a friend that does that. She also pops her toes. <shudder> I don't understand how it doesn't hurt.

Cracking your knuckles can cause inflammation which is where the pain comes from, but it's not because you're rubbing bones together- that kind of pain would be crippling.

It makes me cringe. I have a friend that does that. She also pops her toes. I don't understand how it doesn't hurt.
Not only does it not hurt but it feels good. The gas dissolved in the synovial fluid causes the fluid to increase in volume, creating pressure on the inside surfaces of the joining bones. This can become downright painful. Displacing the joint by a tiny amount creates a small vent where the gas can escape, relieving the pressure.

I routinely crack two knuckles on all my fingers (but not my thumbs), one on both middle toes, a couple of vague spots in both ankles, most of my cervical vertebrae, and occasionally a metatarsal or two. If I couldn't do that I'd be writhing in agony.
so why does it hurt me?
Apparently you don't have the problem of gas buildup in your synovial fluid. Obviously not everyone does; maybe your joints aren't as tightly sealed as ours.

It doesn't take very much force to pop a joint, in most cases not enough to feel the least bit uncomfortable. In your vain attempt to pop your joints, you're pushing or squeezing them much too far in a direction they're not designed to go.

Give it up, your joints don't pop. But since you're doing it wrong, please don't assume that it feels that way to us.

For us it's a great relief.

The only things I crack are my thumbs. Not even the other fingers. But fraggle is right, if I didn't crack them, they would eventually become quite painfull.

Cracking knuckles doesn't bother me much but Nietzsche is always trying to grab my feet to crack my toes. I HATE IT!!!!!!

Cracking knuckles doesn't bother me much but Nietzsche is always trying to grab my feet to crack my toes. I HATE IT!!!!!!
I can't imagine allowing someone else to crack one of my joints. The motion required is so slight and precise. If they get it wrong, at the very least it will accomplish nothing, most likely it will render the joint slightly more uncomfortable than it already is, and at worst they could push or pull too hard or in the wrong direction and cause pain or even injury.

I suppose a chiropractor would know what she was doing, but they never ever work on the small joints, just the spine. I don't think their license would even permit it. (Do you Brits have chiropractors--manipulators of the spine--and is that what you call them?)

Back