Countdown to the End of the World

Status
Not open for further replies.

James R

Just this guy, you know?
Staff member
It's about time we had one of these, isn't it?

At time of posting there is only 4 days, 8 hours and 15 minutes left until 21 December, 2012.

This is the end of the (current period of the) Mayan Long Count calendar.

Expect doom, disaster, tornados, volcanos, the sun exploding, the LHC creating a black hole to swallow the Earth, God's angels descending from heaven to wreak vengeance upon mankind, your PVR inexplicably going on the blink, that sort of thing. Or not.

Stay tuned...

For a live countdown (one of many), try here:

http://www.worldend.org/index.html

Good luck to all of you. I'd say Merry Christmas, but as we all know there will be no Christmas this year ... or next year ... or any year ever again.

It's been a good planet while it lasted...

I can hardly wait until the 22nd - and see what all the loonies have to say THEN! :D

And I'd bet you couldn't find ANYONE who would admit to having believed in it. :D:D

Hmm. Maybe this explains why the little 20 year old "spinner" I met last summer decided to spend the night with me last week.

2 nights in a row, actually. Quite the surprise as I am 3 times her age ... and not rich.

Wonder when the next "end of the world" is going to happen. :)

At time of posting there is only 4 days, 8 hours and 15 minutes left until 21 December, 2012.

This is the end of the (current period of the) Mayan Long Count calendar.

According to this link there is 4 days, 15 hours left as of the time of this posting, and this was posted roughly 8 hours later than when you posted. So at the time of this posting you should be at roughly 4 days left, which is roughly 15 hours difference from the link I posted.

Last edited:
I can hardly wait until the 22nd - and see what all the loonies have to say THEN! :D

And I'd bet you couldn't find ANYONE who would admit to having believed in it. :D:D

I think the next phase of this is once the world is still here on the 21st, they will begin the claims that the 21st was the beginning of the end (a seven year event I think I read), so no, we're not out of the woo woo woods yet. The next big thing that happens will be their proof that the world is starting to end, just like they predicted.

I think the next phase of this is once the world is still here on the 21st, they will begin the claims that the 21st was the beginning of the end (a seven year event I think I read), so no, we're not out of the woo woo woods yet. The next big thing that happens will be their proof that the world is starting to end, just like they predicted.

That's interesting - I hadn't heard about the 7-year thing.

Yes, that will buy them some time AND the chances are good that over that long a period they will be able to point to a major earthquake somewhere in the world, a volcano event, perhaps a big tsunami and possibly a nuclear plant accident.

I guess that's a big part of woo-wooism - they've always got some fallback position that lets them keep the fantasy alive. ;)

According to this link there is 4 days, 15 hours left as of the time of this posting, and this was posted roughly 8 hours later than when you posted. So at the time of this posting you should be at roughly 4 days left, which is roughly 15 hours difference from the link I posted.

Are you sure you're working in the Mayan time zone? :bugeye:

Since it doesn't predict the end of the world, but simply ends at the winter solstice, then yes, everyone experiences the turn of the Mayan calendar at one time.

I'm curious if the world ends, how we're supposed to get to the first piktun, which is a series of 20 b'ak'tun, which we're only on number 12 now. No one is talking about what's going to happen October 13th, 4772, when this, the first piktun, ends.

Almost like absolute simultaneity?

Hardly. Only as each of the timezones is crossed. (And don't forget the International Dateline.)

Or, it it supposed to happen ONLY when the date/time happens for what was the location of the original Mayan homeland? Who knows? <shrug>

At 11:12 GMT the Sun will be at its lowest point to the horizon because of where the Earth is in its orbit. Obviously primitive cultures only noticed when their own noon sun was at the low point, but technically at 11:13 the path of the Sun will go back up. Only one point will actually have the solstice and noon happen at one time. Is it special, sure, about as special as the next spring equinox.

At 11:12 GMT the Sun will be at its lowest point to the horizon because of where the Earth is in its orbit. Obviously primitive cultures only noticed when their own noon sun was at the low point, but technically at 11:13 the path of the Sun will go back up. Only one point will actually have the solstice and noon happen at one time. Is it special, sure, about as special as the next spring equinox.

So I take that as your answer is yes, one point in time for all objects, meaning absolute simultaneity.

Just to clarify a little more, at exactly 4 PM Eastern time is the same point in time as 1 PM Pacific time. That is one point in time.

Yes, which is why I pointed out that it occurs at 11:12 GMT. You can calculate your time from that.

Incidentally, the smallest unit on the Mayan calendar is still the day, or K'in, so it's the 21st for everyone, I believe.

Wouldn't it be funny if the world did end on the 21st? I would feel pretty goll darn silly for all the times I said it was a hoax. The joke would be on me, uh, and the rest of the world of course.

If it don't occur we had the date off somehow. NASA check space an said no worries from there. So the issue may be from earth.

Does the end of the world occur simultaneously for all objects of the world?

Think about it for a moment. If I somehow managed to blow the Earth up, do you think that event would happen on a time-zone by time-zone basis, or at the same instant in every time zone?

Brain on. Think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back