Could we bring back the dodo?

w1z4rd

Valued Senior Member
I was reading Bill Brysons A short history of nearly everything and in it he states that there are no more dodo eggs. Now I happen to know that information is wrong, in our local museum we have a dodo egg and a fully stuffed dodo... So I was wondering... with the DNA in that egg or those feathers could one recreate the dodo today?

Not yet:
http://www.extinctanimal.com/cloning.htm

While Dino DNA could only have been extracted from blood inside mosquitoes that were preserved in amber to suit the story, it is in fact possible for us to get material from recently extinct animals to try and bring a species back. That is where science fiction ends and science fact begins.

First off, the material must be extracted from an animal that has been dead for a maximum of 5 days, or if longer, the animal must have been preserved by being frozen immediately after death to preserve its cellular integrity.

In order to bring back a rare Asian ox, the Gaur, Scientists infused a regular cow's egg with the genetic material of a living Gaur. While the egg was accepted by Bessie the cow's immune system, the Gaur calf suffered the same fate as all of the other cloned animals, and it succumbed to illness shortly after being born.

If the technique had been successful, it could have been used to repopulate extinct species, or strengthen the ranks of those on their way to extinction.

If implanting eggs which were taken from a host animal with the DNA of another animal for the purpose of its acceptance by the host body's immune system produces similar results every time, maybe the implanted embryo's immune system fails to develop as that of a normal fetus. Perhaps by looking more closely at the immune system and its adaptability, we will understand why genetically identical clones are always inferior to the originals.

Darn, but hopefully we will get there. Im sure Dodo would be more interesting than Turkey as a dinner :D jk.

I was reading Bill Brysons A short history of nearly everything and in it he states that there are no more dodo eggs. Now I happen to know that information is wrong, in our local museum we have a dodo egg and a fully stuffed dodo... So I was wondering... with the DNA in that egg or those feathers could one recreate the dodo today?

Why bring anything extinct back? The foods it eats and other predators that would keep it in check are long gone too. The whole environment is different today than it was back then. It just seems very wrong to try and do such things for there's not much to gain other than knowing you can do that. But if you know that you can isn't that all that's necessary?

Why bring anything extinct back? The foods it eats and other predators that would keep it in check are long gone too. The whole environment is different today than it was back then. It just seems very wrong to try and do such things for there's not much to gain other than knowing you can do that. But if you know that you can isn't that all that's necessary?

I understand the importance of extinction as a mechanic in evolution... and because I know how specication and extinction work I dont get as upset as other people when the Lesser Spotted Common Marmit or something dies out. I was wondering if we could do it just out of curiosity. I recon we would do this for the same reasons why we made a glow in the dark pig. Because we can.

As I asked, why do this if you know that you can. Isn't that the whole point of experiments?

The thing that worries me about bringing things back is, how do we control the potential for idiots/lunatics/psychopaths getting hold of the technology and releasing something upon their neighbours that can't be stopped--for example, an ancient disease that has no cure. Not to mention the Jurassic Park possibility of the system/s going awry for any reason, and the animals going haywire and smashing things up? Also ntm the possibility of a scientist going overboard in his/her enthusiasm and bringing back really deadly species like velociraptor? How the hell are we going to cope with stuff like that if/when it happens?

The thing that worries me about bringing things back is, how do we control the potential for idiots/lunatics/psychopaths getting hold of the technology and releasing something upon their neighbours that can't be stopped--...

you actually think a lunatic/psychopath/idiot is smart enough to do all that by themselves?

you actually think a lunatic/psychopath/idiot is smart enough to do all that by themselves?

Speaking of the French.....

http://news.sawf.org/Health/25799.aspx

Researchers reconstruct DNA sequence of 5-million-year-old virus
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 (EST)
A team of French researchers have reconstructed the DNA sequence of a 5-million-year-old virus and shown that it is able to produce infectious particles.

As I asked, why do this if you know that you can. Isn't that the whole point of experiments?

Well, the dodo was hunted into extinction, and if I recall correctly, it didn't have many natural enemies anyway. Certain animals like sabertooth tigers or wooly mamoths could be put in zoos---for example, I don't think a sabertooth tiger would care if it got beef or mamoth.

Darn, but hopefully we will get there. Im sure Dodo would be more interesting than Turkey as a dinner :D jk.

Exactly. Stupid docile fat chickens that don't fight each other.
Bernard Matthews heaven.
They're better off extinct.

Last edited:
the dodo was no dinosaur (who died out 60 milion years ago)
neither was it a mammoth (who died out 4-5000 years ago)

their only extinct for like 350 years. I'm sure there are many forgotten parts in musea, that still have more then enough genetic material to reconstructs it's genome in months. I remember a similar projects with neanderthals and their currently working on it to get it done in 2 years (extinct for 24 thousand years).
Ones you have the genome it's only a matter of time before you can manipulate a living relatives DNA by switching different genomes to get living cells of the species.
Again with the neanderthal I remember that they ones inserted neanderthal genes in a human cell to proof that neanderthals could be red heads.
So if you can do one you could probably do all the different genes (you only have to do less then 5% because many parts of relative species are the same)
Then it's the trouble to get a actual species out of those living cells. It's not impossible but especially for these last 2 steps it helps to have a close living relative of the species and for the simple reason that more test have been done it helps being a large mammal.

The thing that worries me about bringing things back is, how do we control the potential for idiots/lunatics/psychopaths getting hold of the technology and releasing something upon their neighbours that can't be stopped--for example, an ancient disease that has no cure. Not to mention the Jurassic Park possibility of the system/s going awry for any reason, and the animals going haywire and smashing things up? Also ntm the possibility of a scientist going overboard in his/her enthusiasm and bringing back really deadly species like velociraptor? How the hell are we going to cope with stuff like that if/when it happens?

Two words, Jeff Goldblum.

Back