Could a tree that uses its branches to constrict large prey exist?

F

FrankBaker

I remember a story about this (a hoax) but it still raises questions.The tree was called the Tepe and in the story the tree would feed on lemurs by strangulating them with its branches alike to tentacles. Is it possible for a tree to exist which uses capilary/water/elastic action in its branches/leaves (branches that aren't hard and stiff) to constrict around prey? There's a plant species named Drosera which does this, but can this effect be scaled up?

I remember a story about this (a hoax) but it still raises questions.The tree was called the Tepe and in the story the tree would feed on lemurs by strangulating them with its branches alike to tentacles. Is it possible for a tree to exist which uses capilary/water/elastic action in its branches/leaves (branches that aren't hard and stiff) to constrict around prey? There's a plant species named Drosera which does this, but can this effect be scaled up?

Simple but honest answer: no.

Simple but honest answer: no.

Why not? Is there a limitation by which water action can make a plant move with size?

The Drosera species manages to make its leaf curl towards the origin by cells being filled with water or constricting on both sides of the leaf. So is this effect limited with size/weight of the leaf/stem?

To be honest... I don't see why not. It wouldn't be a "tree" in the traditional sense (bark and what not), but a large carnivorous plant? Yeah, it could happen... giant version of the venus fly trap for example.

Would it happen by itself in nature? Not likely... could we artificially create one? Who knows. Possible? Sure. Probable or likely to ever exist? Not really.

Why not? Is there a limitation by which water action can make a plant move with size?

The Drosera species manages to make its leaf curl towards the origin by cells being filled with water or constricting on both sides of the leaf. So is this effect limited with size/weight of the leaf/stem?

There are a large number of carnivorous plants but they are all small in size. There's nothing on the scale you imagine and - the speed that would be required. Could we engineer such a tree? Possibly, but there's no possible need or use for such a freak.

There's the whomping willow in in the Harry Potter series.

Tumblr_mm80qqESfG1rmesz7o1_250.gif

Whomping Willow
Species information
Endemic to
Scotland
Forest of Dean
Related to
Willow
Sentience
Sentient
Stem
Thick trunk