Cosmic Contamination

Zarkov

Banned
Banned
http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99994812

>> Most Earth bugs that hitch-hiked to Mars would probably perish quickly, but it is not a certainty.
>> "They are probably not going to survive in 200 kelvin conditions and in sulphuric acid," says Jeff Kargel of the US Geological Survey, who believes that ponds and marshes of acidic brines are possible or even likely on Mars today.

But, he adds, "Maybe they could. And maybe we've just done a really terrible thing."

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns9999803

>> NASA must start planning a facility to quarantine Martian samples now, even though it doesn't plan to bring any back to Earth before 2014, says an expert panel.

Now, we have almost certainly already contaminated Mars. Totally irresponsible behaviour by so called "scientists", IMO.

Can we trust these idiots with the well being of LIFE on Earth???

Its not like mars has an ecosystem to hurt.
If we did somehow get life started there then it is merely a case of earth breeding. It would be great IMO.

I wouldn't be so sure that anything from earth is alive on mars anyway.

I just read how about the P-element escaped from Drosophilas in the lab to all wild populations in a matter of years. The wild population seem to be dealing with it now. But apparently there is no wild fruitfly left that hasn't got it now.

But of course you can't trust scientists. They are people after all. But they are no more idiots than you and I are.

>> I just read how about the P-element escaped from Drosophilas in the lab to all wild populations in a matter of years.

mmmh, it seems science is a frantic rush to where ?????, many perceived or unpredicted catastrophies have been manifest ... and many more will come......

>> Its not like mars has an ecosystem to hurt.

Well this was not know, and still is not really known,
maybe another case of thalomide

Zarkov said:
mmmh, it seems science is a frantic rush to where ?????, many perceived or unpredicted catastrophies have been manifest ... and many more will come......
Don't get all excited. I also told you that the wild populations adapted.

>> I also told you that the wild populations adapted.

LOL

I understand this, it is either assimilate or die.... however

I believe so called living things most probably have the same chemical logic....
BUT this may not be true !!!

Discordinant living systems could cause descimation of another different logic living system.... lets say we introduce some 'alien life form' that is totally toxic to our carbon based systems.... or our carbon life forms are toxic to a life system on another planet.

This would be a form of biological war.... intended or not...

Zarkov said:
This would be a form of biological war.... intended or not...

Yes, most likely. Even introducing similar 'carbon-based 'species into new habitats causes 'biological wars', as can be seen during the accidental or purposeful introduction of foreign species on islands and different continents during human history.

A policy of zero risk would prohibit the collection of rocks on other planets and returning them to earth to protect the earth bioshpere. Obviously we have already broken that rule.

The question is how big the risk really is and are we willing to take that risk.

We are taking these risks not because we just can, but because we are trying to gather information that will help us understand the world we live in. The question is then if this knowledge is worth the risk of a cross-infection of alien species.

>> The question is then if this knowledge is worth the risk of a cross-infection of alien species.

Like little kids playing in a hay stack with a box of matches to see what happens when a match is struck. No telling what the results will be... but what exactly could be the benefit of playing with alien environments/?species at this stage of our understanding.

I see it as trying to walk before we can crawl.... the consequences of a few fools could be tragic for this world.

Take the 'stardust' probe collecting "comet dust" and returning it to Earth.

Why ?????? this could be so dangerous.

I know how hard it is to contain contamination, and I know there are no foolproof systems for this.

Zarkov,

Science’s goal is to understand the universe and everything in it. Science’s quest has produced technologies that has extended life spans and quality of life for billions. The benefits usually out weigh the side effects, in this case exploring mars with the very unlikely chance of seeding it with life that can survive and populate there.

Lets face it, cosmic contaminations is a reality naturally! meteor impacts have sent dust and rocks into space to 'seed' other planets since the beginning of the solar system and even before. Mars have very likely gained samples of earthling life and if mars was ever wet and had life earth has very likely be contaminated with Martian life. If life did not arise here on earth it came from some place before the solar system and the whole solar system is contaminated.

Last edited:
>> The benefit is gaining knowledge on the alien enviroment.

>> Science’s goal is to understand the universe and everything in it

>> . The benefits usually out weigh the side effects,

Well your collective faiths in science is noble.
Oil now is bringing on the extinction of LIFE on this planet. Toxic metal ions have polluted the minds of every human, turning them away from the collective good.

All through the activities of SCIENCE.

You must realise that when the 'game over' flag is raised, IT IS ALL FOR NOTHING.

Short term goals is all you can see. About time some responsibility is taken for these so called "side effects" leading to the extinction of LIFE (here and maybe elswhere by our stupid actions).

Why do you have children ??? so they can be bleached and desicated in the drying environment !!!! is this your outcome for all the struggle ????????

I am a scientist and yes, good things are responsible things.... but science is now ruled by irresponsible money....

And even though responsible science is calling for extreme caution... Who is listening????

Actually its not at all for nothing, science will someday cure all disease (including aging) allowing for immortality and removal of all pain, suffering and need! For example we could upload our selves as AI, extending our minds a million fold and live like gods for all eternity, and that just with the limited projections based of the extension of present technologies!

Science has befitted our lives greatly; most of us would not be alive now if it was not for science. If it were not for science the human race would still be living as nomads in the stone age with just a few million of us world wide, living hard lives with a maximum life expectancy of just 40. In fact humans would not even exist! We would still be apes as even stone age tools required a basic understanding of mechanical science.

so in conclusion, its not a faith is more of a fact that science has kept us alive, and yes science has been use for evil purposes and used to kill billions over the course of human history, but if science did not exist we would ALL not be here, period!

If you want to have a beef with something have it with technology not science, as science is only the quest to understand, technology is the use of that information to do things, science in its self should not cause harm, the use of science (technology) can and has (of course the use of science has benefited use more, refer to above).

>> most of us would not be alive now if it was not for science.

maybe there is no free lunch !

maybe the payment is our soul ?

What about the 28 grams that you loose when you die? Some say that is your soul leaving and since nothing else has ben found missing, then perhaps that 28 grams could be the soul? :confused:

cosmictraveler said:
What about the 28 grams that you loose when you die? Some say that is your soul leaving and since nothing else has ben found missing, then perhaps that 28 grams could be the soul? :confused:

Interesting...does this mean that all souls are equally in size?

So if they are 28 grams then they have a weight of 274.68 N which would mean they are greatly affected by gravity. Why is it they can fly then? What is their density and volume? Do they have wings?

can someone reference this about the weight of a soul, I don't see why water loss is not a feasible answer as corpses usually lose mass right way form water loss and decay. I mean did they find this 21-28 gram thing by having people on a scale as they were dieing and suddenly there body got lighter the moment they died???

to be truthful science has not proven a metaphysical soul does not exist, science has only proven there is not evidence of a metaphysical soul. Based on this evidence our existence may only be purely physical, until proven otherwise.

Back