Corrie family takes on Israel and the Cat

Does Caterpillar bear any legal liability whatsoever?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Can't decide.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tiassa

Let us not launch the boat ...
Valued Senior Member
The Great American Way: Lawsuits
Corrie family files against Caterpillar, Israel

We'll start with Robert L. Jamieson, Jr., columnist for the Seattle Post-Intelligencer:

Bulldozers don't kill people. People do.

Such thinking is why a federal lawsuit filed this week by the family of Rachel Corrie against a bulldozer manufacturer misses the mark ....

.... The federal lawsuit, which landed on my desk the other day, alleges that Illinois-based Caterpillar Inc. has "aided and abetted" the Israel Defense Forces in "human rights violations and war crimes by providing the bulldozers used to demolish homes of Palestinians."

The suit accuses Caterpillar of advertising how bulldozers can be altered for military use. It alleges the company has known for years about the home demolitions, which number in the thousands and have been condemned by the U.N. Committee Against Torture and the European Union.

SeattlePI.com

Jamieson objects. But he's not without sympathy:

Caterpillar is a private company free to do business with whomever it chooses. From a moral perspective it would be admirable for the company to take a strong public stand about not condoning the use of its machinery as instruments of terror.

That's smart public relations.

Caterpillar could go further, by refusing to sell to Israel unless the Israelis cease the practice of bulldozer demolitions that have been brought to the company's attention.

SeattlePI.com

Indeed, he even goes on to point out, "If Caterpillar wants to continue selling its products to Israel ... it is guilty of being a bad corporate citizen, a company lacking moral backbone."

But Jamieson asserts that corporate responsibility in this context is a moral responsibility, not a legal one.

I don't agree, but I'm unsure how strongly. We'll come back to that.

• • •​

Over at the Corporate Social Responsibility Newswire, William Baue sorts through the issue:

Last week, two years after peace activist Rachel Corrie was allegedly killed by a Caterpillar (ticker: CAT) bulldozer used by the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) demolishing Palestinian homes in the Occupied Palestinian Territories, her family filed a lawsuit against the company. The development shines a spotlight on a shareowner resolution filed by Jewish Voice for Peace (JVP) and the Interfaith Center for Corporate Responsibility (ICCR) asking Caterpillar to report on whether bulldozer sales to IDF comply with its Code of Worldwide Business Conduct.

"When shareholders initially brought this issue to Caterpillar years ago, before we even filed the resolution, we told the company, 'you're putting yourself at risk for a lawsuit,'" said Liat Weingart, JVP's director of campaigns and programs. "The lawsuit adds fuel to the fire of the argument that Caterpillar is working against its own best interests by not responding in any kind of substantive way when shareholders have requested that they investigate the matter."

"CAT is being charged with war crimes in a federal court--that can't be positive for the company," Ms. Liat told SocialFunds.com.

CSRwire.com

While both the shareholder resolution and the lawsuit point to a 2004 letter from the UN High Commissioner on Human Rights, I'm not sure how relevant that is to Cat's standing in the Corrie case.

Nonetheless, if, as the resolution states, Cat has been aware of the issue for "years", and those years precede the two that have passed since Rachel Corrie's death, the company might bear some exposure.

• • •​

... more than two million Caterpillar ®*machines and engines are at work in virtually every country and region of the world each day. We have neither the legal right nor the means to police individual use of that equipment.

CAT.com

Mr. Jamieson seems to share Cat's perspective, but what strikes me as incorrect about that notion is that if I knowingly sell a weapon to someone who has declared their intent to cause illegal harm, yes, I'm a liable party to any crime committed with that weapon. Similarly, Caterpillar may suffer some legal exposure on this issue. That, however, is a sticky matter of detail unavailable to us. The Corrie lawsuit does look back to Nuremberg, and the issue of Zyklon B.

"One case involved the shipping of Zyklon B, a delousing agent," Ms. Green explained. "In and of itself, Zyklon B was not fatal to people, but the Nazis were using it in the gas chambers."

"There were three corporate officers brought before the Nuremberg tribunal, and two were found not to have sufficient knowledge of what was happening with the gas, but one was found to have very clear knowledge that the product was being used in this way, which violated international law," she continued.

CSRwire.com

The shareholders, of course, are worried about money. The resolution, however, does accuse that Cat's "head in the sand" approach will cause the company name to become synonymous with human rights abuses, which would of course, "negatively impact shareholder value".

Caterpillar has neither confirmed nor denied that a risk analysis was performed after learning of Israel's problematic use of its bulldozers.

• • •​

Does Caterpillar bear any liability here? If I was the guy who gave your brother-in-law a shovel while he was angry and after he'd already beaten your sister three or four times, would you accept a similar brushing-off from me? "Millions of shovels are used in every region of the world today. I have neither the legal right nor means to police individual use of the product."

I agree in part with Jamieson:

The Corries planned to file suit this week in Israel against the Israeli government.

In my view that suit -- and not the one against Caterpillar -- hits the bull's-eye for justice.

SeattlePI.com

Definitely, Israel is a proper target, and probably a better one. But I'm not sure that Cat should be off the hook.

What says ye?

Notes:

Jamieson Jr., Robert L. "Sue Israel, not the bulldozer maker". SeattlePI.com. March 18, 2005. See http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/jamieson/216564_robert18.html

Baue, William. "Caterpillar Bulldozes Shareowner Concern Over Aiding Alleged Israeli War Crimes". CSRwire.com. March 24, 2005. See http://www.csrwire.com/sfarticle.cgi?id=1671

Caterpillar, Inc. "Global Unrest". CAT.com. See http://www.cat.com/cda/layout?m=39240&x=7

From a moral perspective it would be admirable for the company to take a strong public stand about not condoning the use of its machinery as instruments of terror.

Maybe Caterpillar is taking a moral stand against people who stand in front of moving bulldozers.

Back