Contradictions

Tyler

Registered Senior Member
We all know contradictions exist hugely in religion. But I am interested to hear a religious person's views on them.

(1)
Exodus 20:13 - "Thou shalt not kill." (note: not, thou shalt not kill unless I say it's okay)
OR
I Samuel 15:2,3,7 - "Thus saith the Lord . . . Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass

(2)
Exodus 20:15 (and a couple other places) - "Thou shalt not steal."
OR
Luke 19:29-34 "[Jesus] sent two of his disciples, Saying, Go ye into the village . . . ye shall find a colt tied, whereon yet never man sat: loose him, and bring him hither. And if any man ask you, Why do ye loose him? thus shall ye say unto him, Because the Lord hath need of him. . . . And as they were loosing the colt, the owners thereof said unto them, Why loose ye the colt? And they said, The Lord hath need of him."

(3)
Colossians 3:22 - "Servants, in all things obey your master."
OR
Matthew 23:10 - "Neither be ye called Masters: for one is your Master, even Christ"

(4)
Malachi 3:6 - "For I am the Lord: I change not."
Ezekiel 24:14 - "I the Lord have spoken it: it shall come to pass, and I will do it; I will not go back, neither will I spare, neither will I repent."
OR
Exodus 32:14 - "And the Lord repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people."
Jonah 3:10 - ". . . and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not."

(5)
James 1:13 - "...for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man."
OR
Genesis 22:1 - "And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham."

(6)
Exodus 15:3 - "The Lord is a man of war." (I just found this interesting!!!)

(7)
John 8:14 - "Though I bear record for myself, yet my record is true."
OR
John 5:31 - "If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true."

(said both by Jesus. And 'witness' and 'record' are said by using the same Greek word - martyria.)

(8)
Matthew 5:22 - "Whosoever shall say Thou fool, shall be in danger of hellfire." (good ol' Jesus!)
OR
Matthew 23:17 - "Ye fools and blind." (good ol' Jesus?)

(9)
Matthew 19:26 - "But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible."
OR
Judges 1:19 "And the Lord was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron."

Just curious!

Back