Concerning parts in the bible.

Huwy

Secular Humanist
Registered Senior Member
Hello,

This is my first post. I come to join this forum out of a love for science, not purely out of a dislike for religion. There are many wonderful things about many religions including the ideals of peace and love and tolerance.
If only throughout history we had all followed these virtues.

It has come to my attention however, that there are parts in the bible that I find, well, concerning, to say the least. Here is the first one.

From the Book of Deuteronomy. NKJV

10 " When you go out to war against your enemies, and the LORD your God delivers them into your hand, and you take them captive,
11 "and you see among the captives a beautiful woman, and desire her and would take her for your wife,
12 "then you shall bring her home to your house, and she shall shave her head and trim her nails. :eek:
13 "She shall put off the clothes of her captivity, remain in your house, and mourn her father and her mother a full month; after that you may go in to her and be her husband, and she shall be your wife.

Here is another.

18 " If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey the voice of his father or the voice of his mother, and [who,] when they have chastened him, will not heed them,
19 "then his father and his mother shall take hold of him and bring him out to the elders of his city, to the gate of his city.
20 "And they shall say to the elders of his city, 'This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious; he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton and a drunkard.' 21 "Then all the men of his city shall stone him to death with stones; so you shall put away the evil from among you, and all Israel shall hear and fear.

:confused:

I would be interested to hear what you all think of this.
I have plenty more from other chapters.

Personally, I think this further illustrates that the Bible is not the word of God, but a man-made collection of writings. God is timeless, not bound by historic and cultural norms as detailed above.

Nearly two thousand years ago, the rabbis of the Talmud (who were scarcely bleeding heart liberals) felt that the prescribed penalty for a rebellious son might have been a little excessive.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/jud/talmud.htm#t08

One of the most notable discussions in this book is the debate about the 'stubborn and rebellious son' (Chapter VIII). The rabbis openly express scepticism that a son who disrespects his father in a particular way should be put to death.​

Back