Compare and Contrast

Michael

歌舞伎
Valued Senior Member
Have we ever done this before?

In terms of personalities, historical significance, family life, influence, etcetera and whatever:
What are the differences or similarities between Alexander the Great, Jesus of Nazareth, Mohammed the Prophet and Gautama Buddha

I’ll try to start:

Marriage –
1. Zarathustra – never married?
2. Mithras – never married
3. Mosses – takes one wife
4. Alexander took an Asian wife (dark purple eyes I read once) and had many mistresses.
5. Jesus of Nazareth never married and remained a virgin.
6. Mohammed the Prophet took a few wives and a few concubines?
7. Gautama Buddha had a wife whom he left and became an ascetic.
8. Bahá'u'lláh never took a wife?

Connection to God(s)
1. Zarathustra was a sage/Prophet but I don’t think he was the archetype half-God half-Man?
2. Mithras - the archetype half-God half-Man
3. Moses was a Prophet of the God Yahweh
4. Alexander claimed to be the God Amun.
5. Jesus of Nazareth is the archetype half-God half-Man.
6. Mohammed the Prophet was a Messenger to Allah.
7. Gautama Buddha left the Karma cycle ascending ‘above’ the level of Gods (is that right...?)
8. Bahá'u'lláh was the last Prophet to Allah… but there can be more?

War and Murder
1. Zarathustra – I don’t think he harmed anyone?
2. Mithras – Was considered a war god by Romans but Easterners no?
3. Moses is supposedly to have killed a bunch Egyptians lead by the Pharaoh.
4. Alexander murdered many people – perhaps the greatest War General in Antiquity (or Julius)
5. Jesus of Nazareth actually get’s murdered and never murdered anyone.
6. Mohammed the Prophet killed polytheistic Arabs in times of war.
7. Gautama Buddha did not murder anyone? (did he? ) don’t think so….
8. Bahá'u'lláh never went to war and was killed in 1892 – but seen alive a day later?

So - any other ideas or Prophets to add?
Michael

4. Alexander took an Asian wife (dark purple eyes I read once) and had many mistresses.

And some misters.

5. Jesus of Nazareth actually get’s murdered and never murdered anyone.

This doesn't always apply. For those that believe jesus is the same being as yhwh, (the trinity), then jesus happens to have murdered more people than any other being in the history of the universe.

This doesn't always apply. For those that believe jesus is the same being as yhwh, (the trinity), then jesus happens to have murdered more people than any other being in the history of the universe.
Oooo touche' to that. Good point.

What about any other catagories of comparison. I want to compile qualities of Phrophets and see if there's anything in there....

Oooo touche' to that. Good point.

What about any other catagories of comparison. I want to compile qualities of Phrophets and see if there's anything in there....
You are not actually examining their qualities but their practices - and its the nature of practice to be different according to time, place and circumstance - like for instance sometimes medication is preferable to surgery, sometimes counselling is preferable to medication, and sometimes physiotherapy is preferable to counselling and sometimes surgery is preferable to physiotheraphy.

So if you examine the practices it will be very difficult to make sense of it all (on one hand they want to cut you open, on another they want to give you drugs and on another they just want to talk to you) but if you understand the qualities or purpose, then comprehension becomes possible (ie the well being of the patient)

Interesting thread...but I dont understand the reason for comparing Mithras (a mythological character) and Alexander (a military leader) to historical religious figures.

I suppose the central difference between Jesus and Mohammed is wealth, war, wine and women!

Mohammed is only missing the wine.

Back