Companion Star or 10th Planet

truth

Registered Senior Member
I read this article and thought you guys here might be interested. It was an interesting read. I love space and am fascinated by it, but do not know a tremendous amount. It might be interesting to get some other opinions. Enjoy.

http://www.viewzone.com/nemesis.html

I am not convinced of the existance of a Nemisis Star or Planet X. The key reason is that new mass estemates of Uranus and Neptune based on data gathered by Voyager 2 show that the off wobbling of Uranus and Neptune is in fact normal behavior for these planets. There is no theorized external gravitational force needed to act upon them to explain their orbital motion. It took a while for this fact to settle in and for me to accept that Planet X most likely does not exist.

the explanations are just odd.......
If there's a masive body 'outside' our solar system affecting the latter, We'll never hear anything bout Pluto, right? But still, can there be a connection between that 'nemesis' and Pluto's 'over-elliptical' orbit?

The opinions i have read so far suggest that the article's ideas are possible, but that there is not much evidence for them yet.

See my thread on badastronomy planet X forum for more info.

Originally posted by curioucity
the explanations are just odd.......
If there's a masive body 'outside' our solar system affecting the latter, We'll never hear anything bout Pluto, right? But still, can there be a connection between that 'nemesis' and Pluto's 'over-elliptical' orbit?

Most likely pluto came from the kepler belt and was caught by the sun's gravitational field in some trajectory not normal to the plane the rest of the planets are in.

is it true that pluto will eventually settle down on the same plane as the others, and why does this happen?

There have been a number of careful searches for a tenth planet, which was proposed to explain what were thought to be anomalies in the orbits of Uranus and Neptune. So far, no evidence has been found for one, though a lot of Kupier-Belt objects about the size of Pluto have been found.

The 'Nibiru' thing, if it is still circulating around, is nonsense, and is well debunked on the Bad Astronomy site.

Back