Common Law is Stoooopid...!!!

TruthSeeker

Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey
Valued Senior Member
The rule of precedence is retarded. Just because some other judge thought a case should be resolved in a certain way doesn't mean that asimilar case should be resolved in the same way. It's a fallacy to assume just because cases are similar they should be treated exactly the same way, because different characteristics may apply. All cases are unique on their own, so the rule of precedence, central to common law, is actually flawed.

What do ya think?

The rule of precedence is retarded. Just because some other judge thought a case should be resolved in a certain way doesn't mean that asimilar case should be resolved in the same way. It's a fallacy to assume just because cases are similar they should be treated exactly the same way, because different characteristics may apply. All cases are unique on their own, so the rule of precedence, central to common law, is actually flawed.

What do ya think?

That's why there are APPEAL courts as well as the Supreme court. If your

case is somehow different or you have a unique new way to change the

ways the laws stand then APPEAL! ;)

If your case has some material difference then you can argue to the trial judge that the ruling from the last court decision should not apply. The rule is that precedent should be applied to subsequent cases that are, in substance, the same as the prior case, not that it should always be applied, even if the case at bar is substantively different.

Also, the rule that precedent should governs future decisions is not really "common law." Precedent governs future decisions in pretty much every court system (even non-common law courts). "Common law" is a series of traditionally judge-made laws (i.e. made without input by a legislature). The law of contracts, property, most torts, much of maritime law and many other areas of non-criminal law were developed by courts acting without legislative guidance (and continue to develop that way, largely without the legislature ever passing laws regarding them). So, if you want to find "the law" that defines what a contract is and how you enter one (offer and acceptance), or what the standards for a lawsuit for negligence are, then that law exists in almost exclusively court cases, there are no statutes on those points.

Respect for precedent necessarily has to exist in common law systems, but it *also* exists in civil law systems and in statutory law contexts. If a court interprets the Patriot Act to mean X, then other courts will defer to that interpretation to the extent it serves as their precedent.

Respect for precedent has the benefit of making the law easier to predict. If you want to know how your dispute will be resolved you can look at similar cases. If "every case is different", then what do you do? With precedent in place, over time, as more and more cases pile up, it becomes easier and easier to make an educated guess as to how the law will apply to you.

Last edited:

What do ya think?

Ya well I argued against the common law, against a real lawyer and the judge saw it my way in a housing Tribunal battle. The Lawyer just brought along a case where another Judge ruled a certain way. I simply argued you can't collect two rents for the same month(I was trying to get a rent deposit back after changing my mind and they kept it and still rented it to someone else).

Judge liked that I actually argued rather than copy/pasting someone else's work.

If your case has some material difference then you can argue to the trial judge that the ruling from the last court decision should not apply. The rule is that precedent should be applied to subsequent cases that are, in substance, the same as the prior case, not that it should always be applied, even if the case at bar is substantively different.

Also, the rule that precedent should governs future decisions is not really "common law." Precedent governs future decisions in pretty much every court system (even non-common law courts). "Common law" is a series of traditionally judge-made laws (i.e. made without input by a legislature). The law of contracts, property, most torts, much of maritime law and many other areas of non-criminal law were developed by courts acting without legislative guidance (and continue to develop that way, largely without the legislature ever passing laws regarding them). So, if you want to find "the law" that defines what a contract is and how you enter one (offer and acceptance), or what the standards for a lawsuit for negligence are, then that law exists in almost exclusively court cases, there are no statutes on those points.

Respect for precedent necessarily has to exist in common law systems, but it *also* exists in civil law systems and in statutory law contexts. If a court interprets the Patriot Act to mean X, then other courts will defer to that interpretation to the extent it serves as their precedent.

Respect for precedent has the benefit of making the law easier to predict. If you want to know how your dispute will be resolved you can look at similar cases. If "every case is different", then what do you do? With precedent in place, over time, as more and more cases pile up, it becomes easier and easier to make an educated guess as to how the law will apply to you.
Ok... so whatever a whole bunch of people say it's true? That's the fallacy of population. Well, those are judges talking though, so... that's also appeal to authority....

Ok... so whatever a whole bunch of people say it's true? That's the fallacy of population. Well, those are judges talking though, so... that's also appeal to authority....

I have no idea where the heck you got that, but as it relates to the law, whatever a whole bunch of jusdges say is the law, is the law...so long as the machinery of government is backing them up on it.

That's not a fallacy, that's the way law is created in a common law system. The law can be wholly irrational and bad for the polity which spawned it (and in *that* sense you cannot rely on the fact that a great number of people affirm it as evidence of its being reasonable or beneficial or "right"...that would be a fallacy.)

If the executive power decided that it hated "property" and stopped protecting people's rights (as recognized by the judiciary) in property, then there would be an argument that the common law of property is no law at all. So long as the government backs up the judges (as the English-rule governments have for centuries), the law can be thought of as the conglomeration of numerous separate opinions of different judges which, when taken as a whole, can be (roughly) synthesized into a coherent set of underlying rules or principles. Those rules and principles are what we call "the common law."

Coherent, does not necessarily mean "right" though, it just means that you can reach some consensus on what the rules are from a sizable number of people reading the cases. It's also a loose enough standard that even after the synthesis there is a lot of noise and confusion around the edges of a given body of common law. (On the other hand, the core principles are very well known and "settled.")

Without respect to precedent, it's far from clear that the conglomeration of opinions would be distillable into something coherent. The coherence comes in large part from judges following what other judges say (even if they would have come up with a different solution if they were ruling in isolation from the other relevant opinions). Because they are basing new opinions on the basis of the rationals used in prior opinions (with tweaks needed to account for the different facts of the new case), the rules are an emergent feature of the system as a whole

Last edited:
I have no idea where the heck you got that, but as it relates to the law, whatever a whole bunch of jusdges say is the law, is the law...so long as the machinery of government is backing them up on it.
Do you know what is the fallacy of population?

That sounds like a fairly organic and chaotic system....

Do you know what is the fallacy of population?

That sounds like a fairly organic and chaotic system....

There is no logical fallacy in what I am saying.

The law is a lot like language. Take a word, let's say "decimate." What does it mean? Suppose I were say it means "a pebble or small stone" and you were say it means "to destroy totally." Am I wrong? The answer is, by most standards, yes. The "meaning" of words comes from common usage, common definitions shared by speakers of the language. In a very real sense the speakers set the "meanings" of words. For most purposes, there is a consensus as to the meanings of most common words. The dictionaries don't invent the definitions, they merely record them,based on the common understanding.

There's no fallacy in looking to a broad population for the definition of a thing, when that population is the one that invented the thing.

Were that a fallacy, then it would be just as egregious a fallacy to look to a small population or to the opinion of a single individual. Thus, under this standard, if I were to say "In Lord of the Rings, the character Frodo Baggins was a hobbit" you'd have to conclude that was a fallacy. Why? Because that was just the opinion of JRR Tokien, a single man. Can't rely on *that*....that's a fallacy.

The distinction, of course, is that he "invented" the character. He defined what and who the character is, and so his opinion (one man or not) is in fact reasonably good evidence for the proposition "The fictional character Frodo Baggins was a hobbit." In a similar way, "common use" is a good way to determine the definition of words and "common judicial opinion" is a good way to determine what the common law is.

An "Appeal to Authority" is a fallacy only when the "authority" does not actually have legitimate expertise in the subject. Cite. An author is an "authority" in the characters he creates. Judges are experts in interpreting the laws with which they work, and, perforce, with the laws they create themselves.

There is no logical fallacy in what I am saying.
No, it is not in what you are saying. Is the system itself. Any system based on the opinions of large amounts of people is commiting the fallacy of population. Just because a whole bunch of people agree about something, doesn't mean that something is true and better for everyone.

The law is a lot like language. Take a word, let's say "decimate." What does it mean? Suppose I were say it means "a pebble or small stone" and you were say it means "to destroy totally." Am I wrong? The answer is, by most standards, yes. The "meaning" of words comes from common usage, common definitions shared by speakers of the language. In a very real sense the speakers set the "meanings" of words. For most purposes, there is a consensus as to the meanings of most common words. The dictionaries don't invent the definitions, they merely record them,based on the common understanding.

There's no fallacy in looking to a broad population for the definition of a thing, when that population is the one that invented the thing.
What if the "thing" is God?

Were that a fallacy, then it would be just as egregious a fallacy to look to a small population or to the opinion of a single individual. Thus, under this standard, if I were to say "In Lord of the Rings, the character Frodo Baggins was a hobbit" you'd have to conclude that was a fallacy. Why? Because that was just the opinion of JRR Tokien, a single man. Can't rely on *that*....that's a fallacy.
You can't rely on opinions in general. Let's look at the facts. Each case is unique. We could possibly look at a similar past case for ideas, but we can't base our decisions completely on a past case.

The distinction, of course, is that he "invented" the character. He defined what and who the character is, and so his opinion (one man or not) is in fact reasonably good evidence for the proposition "The fictional character Frodo Baggins was a hobbit." In a similar way, "common use" is a good way to determine the definition of words and "common judicial opinion" is a good way to determine what the common law is.
I wouldn't be so sure. A lot of times, common sense is completely wrong. You can't base any significant decision on common sense. And people often have different views of what is in fact common sense.

An "Appeal to Authority" is a fallacy only when the "authority" does not actually have legitimate expertise in the subject.
Not true. If a doctor says something based on his opinion, it doesn't matter whether he is a doctor or not- it's a fallacy. Because you see... the reason why it is a fallacy is because the argument is not based on facts and evidence, it is based on opinion and the validity of the opinion is justified by the authority of the person that states the opinion. In the case in our discussion, the laws are not based on facts and evidence, they are based on the opinions of judges.

Judges are experts in interpreting the laws with which they work, and, perforce, with the laws they create themselves.
That leaves room for abuse of authority. The reason why we have a system that is divided between executive, legislative and judicial is to segregate power so that the people who hold the power cannot abuse their power (or have a hard time doing so). It's a principle called "Segregation of Duties".

No, it is not in what you are saying. Is the system itself. Any system based on the opinions of large amounts of people is commiting the fallacy of population. Just because a whole bunch of people agree about something, doesn't mean that something is true and better for everyone.

That's true, but what's the alternative? Laws based on the opinions of the minority? Laws based on the common opinion of everyone (resulting in no laws whatsoever, since not everyone will agree, and some thing "no laws" is optimal).

Even Democracy is stoopid, as is music, and everything else created by human hands and thought to be good. Again, if the opinions of large amounts of people are unreliable, then the opinions of small numbers of people are also unreliable. So when you ate dinner last night and thought it tasted good, you were wring, as you were relying on own opinion, and that's only one person's

Is your position "everything is stoopid"?

Again, though the fallacy of population comes into play mostly when the population involved is not an expert on the topic. It is very much related to the fallacy.

You can't just say, ignore opinions, look to the facts" because all the judge has is his opinion of what that "facts" are. Even when there is video tape of the incident for which the lawsuit was brought, there is always some room to offer contrary explanations. There may be objective facts in the universe, but all we humans have is our personal opinions regarding what those facts might be.

Here's such a fact: If there were no contract law, there would be no modern society. Capitalism, the growth of technology, my personal happiness are all tied into the free flow of capital, and its the predictability of the contract and property law that makes that work.

I think you underestimate the degree to which the common law has influenced your own thinking. For example, let's say your neighbor wants to take "your" home to expand his business. You take him to court. Since there's no property law, how do you prove you have any right to object? Who says your neighbor doesn't have the right to take your house? You do? Isn't that just your opinion of what the law "should be?" The answer is "the law that you think is stoopid." There's nothing fundamental about property. It's just a tradition that's been enshrined in law. If you take *every* case on its facts, then the judge could very well ask whether or not your neighbor needs the property more than you do. Or whether your neighbor will do more with it than you will. Remember, if the common law were eliminated, and it's traditions washed from people's minds, then your whole understanding of what "property" means would be washed away as well.

Eliminate the law, and judges have unfettered discretion to consider any factor they think is relevant.

Now let's say you lose and are kicked our of your home so your neighbor can start his business on the property. I walk into your neighbor's store and order $10 million worth of services. Unfortunately, his mom becomes deathly ill, and he spends the money on her health care, rather than on filling my order. So I sure him. Do I get my money back when he claims he doesn't have it? Maybe not. A sick mother is a very understandable thing on which to spend cash on hand (and even under common law, a sole proprietor can treat business money as if it were personal funds. A judge might well decide that he "needed" to use the money for that, so invent (for my case only) a "rule of necessity" allowing the vendor to use up my money and a "rule of insolvency" excusing excusing him from having to repay me. I might thing that's unfair, but the man a sick mother and hospital bills and, besides, "unfair" is must my opinion. The judge thinks it's worse to have you mom get sick than to lose your money.

Worse still, the next time I try to buy anything, I have no idea whether that contract will be honored or not. There's no way to tell, because there is no standard at all, only "what does this judge think is best in this case."

That standard is an anarchistic one.

That's true, but what's the alternative? Laws based on the opinions of the minority? Laws based on the common opinion of everyone (resulting in no laws whatsoever, since not everyone will agree, and some thing "no laws" is optimal).

Even Democracy is stoopid, as is music, and everything else created by human hands and thought to be good. Again, if the opinions of large amounts of people are unreliable, then the opinions of small numbers of people are also unreliable. So when you ate dinner last night and thought it tasted good, you were wring, as you were relying on own opinion, and that's only one person's
Taste is an opinion- not a fact.

Is your position "everything is stoopid"?
Well... no.

Again, though the fallacy of population comes into play mostly when the population involved is not an expert on the topic. It is very much related to the fallacy.
No, it is based on an opinion of the population. that's the problem. As I said,if it is a fact that can be proved with evidence, then it is not a fallacy.

You can't just say, ignore opinions, look to the facts" because all the judge has is his opinion of what that "facts" are. Even when there is video tape of the incident for which the lawsuit was brought, there is always some room to offer contrary explanations. There may be objective facts in the universe, but all we humans have is our personal opinions regarding what those facts might be.
Then such evidence is not being reasonable doubt.

Here's such a fact: If there were no contract law, there would be no modern society. Capitalism, the growth of technology, my personal happiness are all tied into the free flow of capital, and its the predictability of the contract and property law that makes that work.
Predictable? What happens when someone breaks a clause in the contract?

I think you underestimate the degree to which the common law has influenced your own thinking. For example, let's say your neighbor wants to take "your" home to expand his business. You take him to court. Since there's no property law, how do you prove you have any right to object? Who says your neighbor doesn't have the right to take your house? You do? Isn't that just your opinion of what the law "should be?" The answer is "the law that you think is stoopid." There's nothing fundamental about property. It's just a tradition that's been enshrined in law.
No. Property law is based on logic.

If you take *every* case on its facts, then the judge could very well ask whether or not your neighbor needs the property more than you do. Or whether your neighbor will do more with it than you will. Remember, if the common law were eliminated, and it's traditions washed from people's minds, then your whole understanding of what "property" means would be washed away as well.
No, because we don't need a common law to have property laws.

Eliminate the law, and judges have unfettered discretion to consider any factor they think is relevant.
I never said "eliminate the law". I said common law is stoooopid. EVer heard of the legal system Napoleon came up with?

Now let's say you lose and are kicked our of your home so your neighbor can start his business on the property. I walk into your neighbor's store and order $10 million worth of services. Unfortunately, his mom becomes deathly ill, and he spends the money on her health care, rather than on filling my order. So I sure him. Do I get my money back when he claims he doesn't have it? Maybe not. A sick mother is a very understandable thing on which to spend cash on hand (and even under common law, a sole proprietor can treat business money as if it were personal funds. A judge might well decide that he "needed" to use the money for that, so invent (for my case only) a "rule of necessity" allowing the vendor to use up my money and a "rule of insolvency" excusing excusing him from having to repay me. I might thing that's unfair, but the man a sick mother and hospital bills and, besides, "unfair" is must my opinion. The judge thinks it's worse to have you mom get sick than to lose your money.
You are missing my point. I'm not saying every judge should come up with whatever they want. That's exactly what I'm NOT saying. I'm saying that they should follow the laws on their own as opposed to their opinions based on common law. (Btw, there IS a rule of necessity, and that's called "necessaries").

Worse still, the next time I try to buy anything, I have no idea whether that contract will be honored or not. There's no way to tell, because there is no standard at all, only "what does this judge think is best in this case."
That's true. Contracts are broken every day...

That standard is an anarchistic one.
True. We live in an anarchy.

I never said "eliminate the law". I said common law is stoooopid. EVer heard of the legal system Napoleon came up with?

I have indeed heard of the Napoleonic Code (i.e. "civil law"), and by your terms, it is far more stoopid. It is a system of legislated laws (i.e. the laws that a legislature, in its opinion, thought would be a good idea). Those laws were made without *any* particular facts being known by the legislature. With common law, the judge had a case in front of him, and made up law that seemed to suit those facts. Then, the next judge reads the former judge's opinion, interprets it, then applies the same rule of law to the next case that comes up. Then an even later judge takes both their opinions, interprets them...and so on.

In a civil law jurisdiction, the legislature invents the law out of whole cloth, without any case or controversy pending before it. Then, the judge takes that law, interprets it, and applies it to the next case that comes up. Then, next judge takes the law, the former judge's opinion interpreting it, interprets them both, and applies them to the next case that comes up.

Civil law jurisdictions rely on precedent judicial opinions just as much as common law jurisdictions do. The only difference is that in the civil law the ultimate source of law if statutory, rather than common law. Since common law was developed in response to actual concrete facts, and statutes usually are not, I fail to see how civil law is superior under your standards.

As for "property law is based on logic" No, it's not, it's based on custom and tradition. There is no innate logical imperative that required property to exist. There is no logical need to believe that a human being, for example, can have exclusive rights to land. There are many cultures that traditionally did not recognize ownership of land, and they were not "illogical."

How about this: say you are walking down the street and find a $100. Is that now yours because you found it? Suppose the rule were that it still belongs to the last person (who apparently dropped it)? Is that "illogical"? Is it illogical to give it to the finder? Why not give it, between the two of you, to the person who needs it more? Or split it evenly? Perhaps split it 75-25? (Surely, they *all* have some non-illogical arguments to be made in favor of them, depending on the "facts". Each case is different, after all.) Just becauise you (and I) like property law, and think it is a good idea, doesn;'t mean it springs fully formed from the font of Reason. A world that didn't recognize it might be less economically efficient, but it would not be illogical.

There's no innate logic to that, you just pick a rule and stick with it, because certainly is a good thing. Your system would have zero certainty, every judge would be free to invent whatever rule struck him as best at that moment.

The same thing goes for contract law. If I make you a promise, why should the state enforce that promise at all? Why only enforce promises when they are bilateral (i.e. in a contract) and not when they are unilateral?

Again, there might be statutes answering these questions, but a multitude of legislators inventing the law is no better than a multitude of judges doing the same thing, and at least the judges are creating law based on an actual case and facts before them, the legislators often as not do it in a vacuum.

Last edited:
Rule of Law vs Rule of Men

The rule of precedence is retarded.
It's a fallacy to assume just because cases are similar they should be treated exactly the same way, because different characteristics may apply. All cases are unique on their own, so the rule of precedence, central to common law, is actually flawed.
What do ya think?

Without precedence one essentially is living by the Rule of Men, not the Rule of Law.

I think I prefer to live by the Rule of Law and NOT the Rule of Men.

The Rule of Law is predictable, open for all to see and thus rational.

The Rule of Men is arbitrary [up to the whim of the judge], chaotic and thus irrational. And it would destroy society because agreeing to what laws all will live by is essential to keeping the peace.

What would "equal justice under the law" mean if each judge could make decisions without regard to anything other than his own point of view ?

Last edited:
Without precedence one essentially is living by the Rule of Men, not the Rule of Law.

The Rule of Men is arbitrary [up to the whim of the judge], chaotic and thus irrational. And it would destroy society because agreeing to what laws all will live by is essential to keeping the peace.

What would "equal justice under the law" mean if each judge could make decisions without regard to anything other than his own point of view ?

I agree with you, but the more I've thought about it, the more I believe Truthseeker believes in "Natural Law" in the form of "legal/moral principals that objectively exist independently of the opinions of individuals and which can be discerned through human reason alone."

I think that's his objection to use of precedent, that he sees the process of "judging" as the process of discerning the "true law" for the individual case, not merely extrapolating and applying by analogy the arbitrary rules that were developed for other cases. (Though, even then it would be logically sound to look to prior cases as part of "discernment" of what the relevant rule of law is, if you could find a sufficiently similar case.)

The big difference, is that Truthseeker thinks all judges should be required to discern this objective law from scratch every time, and presumably has faith that judges will (assuming this Natural Law exists) figure it out correctly. Having dealt with many lawyers and many judges over the years, even if I did believe that Natural law existed, I would not be sanguine about the ability of a judge to find it.

Truthseeker is thus very optimistic, in my view. Too optimistic. In order to work, his theory requires judges to be rational, wise, diligent and intelligent. The rule of precedent requires that they know how to read, and all the other stuff (if they have it) is a bonus.

I have indeed heard of the Napoleonic Code (i.e. "civil law"), and by your terms, it is far more stoopid. It is a system of legislated laws (i.e. the laws that a legislature, in its opinion, thought would be a good idea). Those laws were made without *any* particular facts being known by the legislature.
That's not true. You are missing the whole process. A law must first be passed through the house of commons. Politicians in the house of commons are appointed by the population and are there to represent the population. They consult with the population itself in his constituency and then changes the law according to the needs of the population. The bill then passes to the Senate, where it is approved and then the judges apply it. As you can see, the laws in this system are not created out of thin air. They are based on the needs of the people, unlike common law, that relies n the needs of the judges...:rolleyes:

With common law, the judge had a case in front of him, and made up law that seemed to suit those facts. Then, the next judge reads the former judge's opinion, interprets it, then applies the same rule of law to the next case that comes up. Then an even later judge takes both their opinions, interprets them...and so on.
Every case is unique. Such system can be abused and is illogical, based on rules of tradition.

In a civil law jurisdiction, the legislature invents the law out of whole cloth, without any case or controversy pending before it.
Wrong. A case appears in a constituency. If a controversial decision is made based on existing law, the population may ask the politician to change the law to better suit the needs of the population.

Civil law jurisdictions rely on precedent judicial opinions just as much as common law jurisdictions do. The only difference is that in the civil law the ultimate source of law if statutory, rather than common law. Since common law was developed in response to actual concrete facts, and statutes usually are not, I fail to see how civil law is superior under your standards.
Again, statutory law is based on actual concrete facts.

As for "property law is based on logic" No, it's not, it's based on custom and tradition. There is no innate logical imperative that required property to exist. There is no logical need to believe that a human being, for example, can have exclusive rights to land. There are many cultures that traditionally did not recognize ownership of land, and they were not "illogical."
You compltely missed the point. There's no logic in the existence of property. However, considering the existence of property, property law is based on logical considerations given its existence. For instance, it is logical that a property is yours if you have control over it.

How about this: say you are walking down the street and find a $100. Is that now yours because you found it?
Yes, because you now hae control over it. Altough, if the previous owner can be identified you can be nice and return it, but that doesn't change that you now have control over the object.

Suppose the rule were that it still belongs to the last person (who apparently dropped it)? Is that "illogical"?
Yes, because the property cannot be controlled by the last person who controlled it before. If you put the bill on the table, that bill won't do anything on its own. Only the person who has control over it can do something with it. If you claim that the bill belongs to the last person and you somehow find a way to return it to the last person, then that bill was actually yours because it was you who made the decision to return it and it was you who exerted the action on that object.

Is it illogical to give it to the finder?
No. Both options are logical, altough the bill is yours regardless of whether you give it back or not. Of course, o0nce the bill is back in the other person's hand, then the bill is now controlled by the other person and thererfore ownership returns to that person.

Why not give it, between the two of you, to the person who needs it more?
Sure. Whoever controls it would make the decision though.

Or split it evenly? Perhaps split it 75-25? (Surely, they *all* have some non-illogical arguments to be made in favor of them, depending on the "facts". Each case is different, after all.)
Sure. Whoever controls it make such decision.

Just becauise you (and I) like property law, and think it is a good idea, doesn;'t mean it springs fully formed from the font of Reason. A world that didn't recognize it might be less economically efficient, but it would not be illogical.
As I said before, property law is based on logic, from the point of view of the already existing system of property. Not having "property" is also logical. One can argue that such sytem would be more beneficial. That doesn't mean that having property is illogical. You seem to have a very black and white way of thinking. "it's either logical or illogical". That's not how it works.

There's no innate logic to that, you just pick a rule and stick with it, because certainly is a good thing. Your system would have zero certainty, every judge would be free to invent whatever rule struck him as best at that moment.
That makes no sense. It's like saying that language provides zero certainty because it is logical. What you just said is exactly the reason I don't agree with common law in the first place. In the system I speak of, the law is set and the judges can only follow it- they cannot change it whenever they feel like doing that.

The same thing goes for contract law. If I make you a promise, why should the state enforce that promise at all? Why only enforce promises when they are bilateral (i.e. in a contract) and not when they are unilateral?
What's your point?

Again, there might be statutes answering these questions, but a multitude of legislators inventing the law is no better than a multitude of judges doing the same thing, and at least the judges are creating law based on an actual case and facts before them, the legislators often as not do it in a vacuum.
Again, you are completely dismissing an entire political system.

I take you completely missed the entire discussion, eh?

No. Without precedence, law is based on logic, wheter then an illogical argument.

That's precisely why I dislike common law.

That's not true. You are missing the whole process. A law must first be passed through the house of commons. Politicians in the house of commons are appointed by the population and are there to represent the population. They consult with the population itself in his constituency and then changes the law according to the needs of the population. The bill then passes to the Senate, where it is approved and then the judges apply it. As you can see, the laws in this system are not created out of thin air. They are based on the needs of the people, unlike common law, that relies n the needs of the judges...:rolleyes:

But THAT's not true. judges rule on individual cases. The next judge decides whether the rule makes sense in the next case. If it does, he applies that prior rule, if there is some difference in the new case that makes the prior rule a bad one , the judge "distinguishes" the new case and invents a rule that applies to it.

Every application of every precedential rule has ample chance to be tailored to the facts of the specific case. The most a legislature ever has is a vague sense of a particular problem, and no understanding of the multiplicity of "individual cases" that exist in the real world.

Also, this is not "common law" even the Napoleonic Code systems endorse the use of precedent. Using precedent is a completely different animal that "common law" which has to do with the source of legislative authority (and which vests some of that authority in courts and not just the legislature).

As for "the process" the legislature may well consult its constituents, if by "constituents" you mean "lobbyists" and "major campaign donors." Also, they frequently consult with "their asses" from which they pull many of the rules that they enact into law.

Wrong. A case appears in a constituency. If a controversial decision is made based on existing law, the population may ask the politician to change the law to better suit the needs of the population.

If the population dislikes a statute, they can have it changed by the legislature.

If the population dislikes a particular court decision, they can ask the legislature to overrule it (at least in the U.S.). The only time that is at all tricky is when the court decision is constitutional in nature, and even then "the people" can try to organize to have the Constitution amended.

Precedent related to either common law principles or to statutory interpretation, yields to new statutes (especially when targeted at a particular court decision). That's always been the way it has worked.

Again, statutory law is based on actual concrete facts.

Where is this polity you are describing? Please find me the specific facts that led to the enactment of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. You can't, because there was no "single case" that led to it, there were hundreds (or thousands) of incidents. Is the Civil Rights Act the "best" law for each and every case of discrimination that has ever or could ever arise? No. It was a series of rules designed around anecdotal evidence of *prior* discrimination, on the hopes that those cases, taken as a sort of fuzzy aggregate, would be similar to *new* cases that arose in the future.

Statutes do not generally apply retroactively. When the legislature passes a law, even in the rare instance where there is a single case involved, and the legislature "knows" the facts, the statute doesn't normally apply to that case it applies to the future, whose facts are always unknown. (Though, really how can they "know" these facts? Did they allow both sides to submit evidence and prepare arguments? Did a finder of fact help guide them? No??? A court, with its rules of evidence and a full opportunity for both sides to make their case regardless of politics is far better equipped to discern facts in a particular case or controversy than a legislature.)

You compltely missed the point. There's no logic in the existence of property. However, considering the existence of property, property law is based on logical considerations given its existence. For instance, it is logical that a property is yours if you have control over it.

You think so?

Yes, because you now hae control over it. Altough, if the previous owner can be identified you can be nice and return it, but that doesn't change that you now have control over the object.

Buzz! Wrong answer but thanks for playing. Found property (usually by statute, which you claim to <3) typically belongs to its previous owner unless it has been purposefully "abandoned." In NYC, the police conduct stings in the subway, where they leave backpacks out in the open and unattended. Passersby pick them up and, if they do not turn them into the police, the police arrest them, based on statutes. The NY State legislature saw that people were walking off with "property" and passed rules exactly contrary to your intuition. I guess that means they are wrong.

Still the "it's yours until you abandon it" rule is pretty common. The old saw "possession is 9/10ths of the law," is not in fact the law that legislatures recognize.

Yes, because the property cannot be controlled by the last person who controlled it before. If you put the bill on the table, that bill won't do anything on its own. Only the person who has control over it can do something with it. If you claim that the bill belongs to the last person and you somehow find a way to return it to the last person, then that bill was actually yours because it was you who made the decision to return it and it was you who exerted the action on that object.

Again, legislatures seem to have failed you on that. "Control" is not the defining attribute of property. Control is, interestingly a strong factor in certain aspects of the *common law* of property (like in the case of "adverse possession") but you claim to hate common law.

As I said before, property law is based on logic, from the point of view of the already existing system of property. Not having "property" is also logical. One can argue that such sytem would be more beneficial. That doesn't mean that having property is illogical. You seem to have a very black and white way of thinking. "it's either logical or illogical". That's not how it works.

Actually, that choice is not binary, there are three options. Some things flow from logic. Some things are refuted by logic. Some things are neither. I already said that, when I stated that property law does not flow from the font of Reason. No where did I say "property is illogical."

Property law, though, is not based on "logic" there may be subcomponents of it that are based on logic, but the exact rules are not. Case in point, see your argument from control. Somehow, if you think that flows from logic, the legislatures got it wrong, and the courts and their precedents are, in fact, closer to your thinking.

That makes no sense. It's like saying that language provides zero certainty because it is logical. What you just said is exactly the reason I don't agree with common law in the first place. In the system I speak of, the law is set and the judges can only follow it- they cannot change it whenever they feel like doing that.

Your analogy is inscrutable. If a judge has no precedent on which to rely, to what does he look? Logic? As noted, logic doesn't compel him to apply *any* particular rule to the case of the found bill. You seem to think that logic demands that he who controls the bill "owns it" but no legislature I know of agrees with you on that, so either you are illogical, they are all illogical, or the rule of control you cite falls outside the realm of logic or illogic.

Most laws (common law, statutory law and civil law) suggest that you own a thing until you (i) knowingly abandon it or (ii) for public policy and ease of administration reasons, the state otherwise sees fit to strip you of your property (though the later usually requires that you misuse the property in some criminal way, that you demonstrate that you have "all but" abandoned it, or the inquiry into who owns the property has to be so highly debatable, that it's not worth any one's time). Hence, if I accidentally drop my wallet, it doesn't become property of the guy who finds it. On the other hand, if I purposefully throw in in the garbage and the guy behind me fishes it out, then I have abandoned it and it can become his property. Similarly, if you were to steal $100 from me, it's still mine, notwithstanding that you the thief may now control it.

What's your point?

My point is that if the state is going to enforce bilateral promises (contracts), there's really no reason for it not to enforce one-sided promises too. That's not to say they are logically compelled to enforce unilateral promises, but it would not be illogical either. The entire question of whether to enforce promises, contractual or otherwise, cannot be answered using logic without a lot of assumptions being made.

Again, you are completely dismissing an entire political system.

So are you. Also, hyperbole much? "Completely dismissing"? Seriously? Get a grip.

I acknowledge that the civil law system works...BUT I do dispute that it works as well as the common law.

Take a look at the two financial capitals of the world right now, London and New York, where contracts and property law are considered to be so good that people will select NY or U.K law to apply to their business deals even in cases where they have little contact with those jurisdictions.

Both of those are common law legal systems. Nobody goes out of their way to select French law as governing for their agreements or disputes. yet I see people selecting NY and U.K. law all the time. In fact, I have seen people annoyed when they *had to* apply civil law to their business dealings. In large part that is because common law is considered more nuanced (and hence more likely to respond to the individual details of a given case or controversy) and more predictable than civil law counterparts.

People have no problem changing jurisdictions when the law suits them better elsewhere. Delaware wasn't always the preferred State in which to incorporate, it just changed it's laws and so people started changing their companies' states of organization to Delaware to take advantage of the perceived "better" laws.

Back